C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most cost effective and reliable way of adding power to a FI Corvette?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Most cost effective and reliable way of adding power to a FI Corvette?

Say I wanted to pick up 30 - 40WHP and torque, and I wanted to do it RELIABLY and without spending a lot of money... What do you think would be the safest and cheapest way of doing that? The setup is an A&A Vortech Si-Trim with a 3.8" pulley and 1 7/8" headers making 590WHP/518RWTQ at 10PSI.
Do I:

- Swap my 3.8" pulley for a 3.6" Pulley (Cheap, but probably not safe)

- Put a blower cam on (Not cheap)

- Swap my LS2 heads for L91 heads (Cheaper than the cam? Still not cheap, and would it even gain 30WHP?)

- Meth kit (Won't gain 30WHP unless tuned unsafely? I don't like meth)

Your comments are welcome
Please remember that this is a DAILY DRIVEN car that sees 1K+ mile roadtrips on weekends and 40,000+ Miles a year, so anything that takes away from reliability, driveability or my ability to just jump in and go cross country in it is out of the question.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,091 Likes on 659 Posts

This is where our restristor plate design that comes with the ECS kit would be helpfull. An average ECS car with near 600rwhp would have at least 550rwtq.
I can set you up with something if you like, right after you race Ed.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
This is where our restristor plate design that comes with the ECS kit would be helpfull. An average ECS car with near 600rwhp would have at least 550rwtq.
I can set you up with something if you like, right after you race Ed.

I like the restrictor plate idea, but if I am going to pulley it down to, say, 3.6", why not just fatten up the AFR and pull timing and just let it make whatever it is going to make up top without the restrictor?

That's funny you heard abut my challenge with Ed... It'll be a good race; I am really looking forward to it
Old 02-03-2009, 11:48 AM
cencalc6
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the same situation, I went ahead with a Blower Cam Charlie at RPM is doing the install, I'll post up the results as soon as I get her back
Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cencalrx7
I'm in the same situation, I went ahead with a Blower Cam Charlie at RPM is doing the install, I'll post up the results as soon as I get her back
Wow, I guess that you just wanted to surprise me, since I just found out on a public board.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Say I wanted to pick up 30 - 40WHP and torque, and I wanted to do it RELIABLY and without spending a lot of money... What do you think would be the safest and cheapest way of doing that? The setup is an A&A Vortech Si-Trim with a 3.8" pulley and 1 7/8" headers making 590WHP/518RWTQ at 10PSI.
Do I:

- Swap my 3.8" pulley for a 3.6" Pulley (Cheap, but probably not safe)

- Put a blower cam on (Not cheap)

- Swap my LS2 heads for L91 heads (Cheaper than the cam? Still not cheap, and would it even gain 30WHP?)

- Meth kit (Won't gain 30WHP unless tuned unsafely? I don't like meth)

Your comments are welcome
Please remember that this is a DAILY DRIVEN car that sees 1K+ mile roadtrips on weekends and 40,000+ Miles a year, so anything that takes away from reliability, driveability or my ability to just jump in and go cross country in it is out of the question.
Sam, I would NOT push the limits of the stock non-forged motor. You are already running on the upper limits of what I would personally consider a safe amount of boost, even with 93 octane fuel and a safe tune. Of all of the options that you listed, I would do the blower cam with all supporting mods (springs, push rods, timing chain, etc...). I think that this would the the safest option, but not the least costly.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PAUZAO
Sam, I would NOT push the limits of the stock non-forged motor. You are already running on the upper limits of what I would personally consider a safe amount of boost, even with 93 octane fuel and a safe tune. Of all of the options that you listed, I would do the blower cam with all supporting mods (springs, push rods, timing chain, etc...). I think that this would the the safest option, but not the least costly.
I know of 4 people in NJ alone pushing over 700WHP on a stock block LS2 and all 4 have at least 15,000 miles on the combo... I'm not too worried about making 630whp
Old 02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
PAUZAO
Drifting

I know of 4 people in NJ alone pushing over 700WHP on a stock block LS2 and all 4 have at least 15,000 miles on the combo... I'm not too worried about making 630whp
I still think that the blower cam might be your ticket, becasue you will probably be able to obtain your power goals with the same amount of boost that you are currently running.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:50 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,091 Likes on 659 Posts

I like the restrictor plate idea, but if I am going to pulley it down to, say, 3.6", why not just fatten up the AFR and pull timing and just let it make whatever it is going to make up top without the restrictor?

That's funny you heard abut my challenge with Ed... It'll be a good race; I am really looking forward to it

Because with the restrictor plate you have the low end boost of a car that would make 13-14lbs of boost, without the 13-14lbs on the top end. It's an inexpensive way to pick up torque while keeping the HP in line, which is why we do it on most stock engines.

I wouldn't be too worried about making more HP, like you said we have at least a half a dozen stock LS2's over 700rwhp, but they all run meth.

I'm looking forward to the results between you and Ed, that will be a very good race, dont just go off of your dyno sheets though... he just might surprise you.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Tzzird
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did those 888's work out so well that you actually want more RWHP?
Old 02-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PAUZAO
I still think that the blower cam might be your ticket, becasue you will probably be able to obtain your power goals with the same amount of boost that you are currently running.
Remember, more power = more torque, and more torque = higher cylinder pressure. No matter how you make it, more power requires more cylinder pressure (or higher RPM).

Anything you do to increase your power output will increase your chance for engine failure. Two things that allow this while improving your engine's chance for survival are better intercooling and meth.

Intercooling upgrades are expensive and sometimes not possible, especially in the nose of a 'Vette.

Meth is seen as unreliable, and what do you do if your Meth tank goes empty?

I personally vote for the restrictor plate idea (much nicer torque curve) and Meth, but you have to keep an eye on the meth system and make sure it's installed impeccably. Keep spare parts (solenoids, pumps, switches) and tools on hand (in the car) and educate yourself on how the system works and how to fix it if something does go wrong with it. A pressure switch at the nozzle triggering a shift-light style warning indicator will tell you very quickly if the supply drops off. Maybe you can even back out of it before the engine eats itself.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tzzird
+2

Looking for as much feedback as I can get on the Toyo 888!

Ride
Road Noise
Launch Grip
Cornering Grip
Cost
Wear

I run Nitto RIIs right now but am always looking at my options. My car is daily driven also (+100k miles). I love the RIIs, but the Toyos look intriguing as well.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
Mr.Big
Safety Car

Old 02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
0Mike@G-Force
Former Vendor

While a camshaft isnt the cheapest option it will get you 40-60 RWHP easily.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:41 PM
tlaselva
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

And I know the only 3 people that pushed thier stock block to over 600rwhp all blew their motors up within a few months.

For every one that survives, one does not.

If you like those odds, go for it.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Tzzird
Hahahaha... I came home early from work today, so after reading this I walked to the front porch and took a picture of my backyard so you can see what traction is like in NJ right now:

I am still a ways from having my wheels and tire setup done; my wheels are still getting widened, I haven't bought the fronts, I need pressure sensors, etc..
That said, I did buy my rears: I'm trying the 555 RIIs first and the R888s after these wear down, so I can try both.

Here is my next set of tires:

Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
I'm looking forward to the results between you and Ed, that will be a very good race, dont just go off of your dyno sheets though... he just might surprise you.
I don't think he will, but I hope he does: that's part of the reason for this post: *IF* Ed beats me, I'll just mod it a little more untill he can't any more

Get notified of new replies

To Most cost effective and reliable way of adding power to a FI Corvette?

Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 PM
0Steve@AandACorvette
Former Vendor

Location: Oxnard SoCal www.aacorvette.com www.superchargersuperstore.com
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Id say cam...
Old 02-03-2009, 03:09 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

My next power adding steps will be to add meth, remove the restrictor plate and bump up the timing.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
hydfixer1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hahahaha... I came home early from work today, so after reading this I walked to the front porch and took a picture of my backyard so you can see what traction is like in NJ right now:

I am still a ways from having my wheels and tire setup done; my wheels are still getting widened, I haven't bought the fronts, I need pressure sensors, etc..
That said, I did buy my rears: I'm trying the 555 RIIs first and the R888s after these wear down, so I can try both.

Here is my next set of tires:

Did she come with the tires???

Quick Reply: Most cost effective and reliable way of adding power to a FI Corvette?