C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BOV AIR TEMPS...Are you curious???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 01:28 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default BOV AIR TEMPS...Are you curious???

BLOW OFF VALVE AIR TEMPERATURE READINGS

I attached a wired probe to the BOV's filter & sealed the probe so outside wind & temp would not influence the readings.

Doug from ECS does not think that recirculating the warm air from the BOV back into the SC intake is the best solution for those people who would like to quiet down their BOV sound. He has a solution which combines 2 BOV's. Cost is minimal.

However, I was curious just how warm the air would be, so....

Consider this:
a) It was only 74 degrees ambient. What would happen to the BOV temps at 90+ degrees!
b) I only did 4 controlled pulls in 1st gear, not boosted at all & the BOV temp was 158. What would happen to the temps if you were running the car at the track!

CRUISING AT 60 MPH....74DEGREES AMBIENT................78DEGREES BOV AIR TEMP

These were 1st gear only. I rolled slowly into the throttle as not to break traction. Once i hit the desired rpm I released the throttle & watched the BOV air temps rise quickly. There were 10 seconds between each pull. I didn't go any further do to the wet conditions.

Also at no time did I enter boost because of the weather.
When the weather gets warmer (and dryer) I will do more aggressive pulls in multiple gears. I am certain the BOV temps will be even higher as I was just babying the car & the Temps rose very quickly, especially when going higher in the rpm's.

Last edited by vettemann62; 04-22-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
06.Z51.MontRed.Vert
Melting Slicks

Location: Eastern PA:ECS Paxton Novi 1500(676rwhp,585tq on stock engine),LG headers, 410's, Corsa Sports, ECS Alky Kit
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by sarecco
BLOW OFF VALVE AIR TEMPERATURE READINGS

I attached a wired probe to the BOV's filter & sealed the probe so outside wind & temp would not influence the readings.

Doug from ECS does not think that recirculating the warm air from the BOV back into the SC intake is the best solution for those people who would like to quiet down their BOV sound. He has a solution which combines 2 BOV's. Cost is minimal.

However, I was curious just how warm the air would be, so....

These were 1st gear only. I rolled slowly into the throttle as not to break traction. Once i hit the desired rpm I released the throttle & watched the BOV air temps rise quickly. There were 10 seconds between each pull. I didn't go any further do to the wet conditions.

When the weather gets warmer (and dryer) I will do more aggressive pulls in multiple gears. I am certain the BOV temps will be even higher as I was just babying the car & the Temps rose very quickly, especially when going higher in the rpm's.

Excellent info, good job. When I read your post yesterday I full well expected the temp increases to be relatively substantial as you have ultimately found out. Personally I wouldn't want to be dumping that hot air back into the system, with or without meth. Looks like Dougs assesment was correct as usual.

I'm curious about the dual blow off valves (series or parallel) just to know. Initially I wasn't thrilled with the sound of a blow off valve, but like others I've gotten used to it and kind of like it now. Some of the cars I hear going by sound like JETS when the valve dumps, so ours is VERY quiet compared to most.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
filmjay
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Rerouting the BOV into the intake isn't a bad idea. But I wouldn't do it directly into the intake. I'd probably route it into the hot side of the intercooler so that it gets cooled before being sent back to the engine.

But I like the sound...so it wouldn't apply to me.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:28 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Personally I'd be more concerned with the fact that you are seeing 158 degree IATs on a 74 degree day.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 04-09-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 5 liter eater
personally i'd be more concerned with the 158 degree iat on a 74 degree day.
ecs mounts the bov on the bottom of the intercooler. It seems as though the air being expelled from the bov has not had a chance to run through the intercooler yet. So iat temps should be much lower. PLUS...I'M RUNNING METH!! So IAT's are gonna be realllllly l-o-w!

Another interesting point would be, i see some have their bov's mounted post intercooler. It seems to reason that the air temp being expelled from this point should be much cooler since it has already passed through the intercooler. In this situation, why not recirculate that air back into the sc intake? Still though, it's got to be much warmer than ambient temps.

I'm gonna let Doug add a 2nd BOV on April 20th. I keep you all in the loop!!

Last edited by vettemann62; 04-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:51 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by filmjay
Rerouting the BOV into the intake isn't a bad idea. But I wouldn't do it directly into the intake. I'd probably route it into the hot side of the intercooler so that it gets cooled before being sent back to the engine.

But I like the sound...so it wouldn't apply to me.
I dont think this would work because the air would be put back into the pressurized part of the system & would not allow for enough alleviation of air.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Le Mans Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting finds, so what would the point of two BoVs be? I'm trying to figure this all out, so don't shoot me
Old 04-09-2010, 04:18 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Le Mans C6
Interesting finds, so what would the point of two BoVs be? I'm trying to figure this all out, so don't shoot me
HERE'S A QUOTE FROM DOUG AT ECS:

Just add a darn second BOV right next to the other one, which divides the amount of air going threw them in half, and the BOV noise goes away completely. Been there-done that several times for the "ultra stealth", high boost, BOV.
The cost is minimal, doesn't effect boosted conditions in the least, (we have done this on 800rwhp cars where the owner insisted on no BOV noise) and does not give any of the "whooshing" noise of a Tial 50 or larger type BOV's. Since each Bosche BOV is good for ten pounds, two have seemed to work great at 15-17lbs, without back surging the compressor, and staying quiet at the same time.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

thumbs to doug. he is truly genius.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

ecs mounts the bov on the bottom of the intercooler. It seems as though the air being expelled from the bov has not had a chance to run through the intercooler yet. So iat temps should be much lower.
Thats a good point. :o

Curious how the twin BOVs turn out.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:15 AM
TRIZ
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Personally I'd be more concerned with the fact that you are seeing 158 degree IATs on a 74 degree day.
Bro,
That's why we run I/C's and meth!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 AM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Bro,
That's why we run I/C's and meth!
A-MEN BROTHER !!
It's interesting that only a couple of years ago, many SC guys were reluctant to add meth. Many said "it wasn't necessary". Well, I guess it depends on many factors, however it seems that it has proven itself enough to continue gaining popularity in the SC community. Plus having great tuners/installers helped tremendously!

Last edited by vettemann62; 04-10-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is great data! Well done!
The heating is not surprizing though; you are going into boost, pressurizing the air (which always adds a ton of head to it),then releasing the hot pressurized air out of the bov. What I would like to see is what the steady state temperature is when you are cruising around at those RPMs, not the hot burst you get momentarily when releasing boost. Could you log that?
Old 04-10-2010, 02:36 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
The heating is not surprizing though; you are going into boost, pressurizing the air (which always adds a ton of head to it),then releasing the hot pressurized air out of the bov. What I would like to see is what the steady state temperature is when you are cruising around at those RPMs, not the hot burst you get momentarily when releasing boost. Could you log that?
Thanks Sam.

UPDATED: CRUISING AT 60 MPH....74DEGREES AMBIENT................78DEGREES BOV AIR TEMP

Last edited by vettemann62; 04-11-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:51 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Thanks Sam. Cruising about 65 mph the bov temp was about 74 degrees and the ambient was 71. This is just my memory. I have the exact stats at my office. I'll post them on Monday.
That's what I figured... Not very hot at all...

Will your IATs go up a tiny bit? Maybe. Do I think it'll matter? Highly doubtful.[...] you're putting slightly warmer air into the intake, but it works fine... Remember when the BOV is open there is zero boost being generated so the heating of the air is only due to friction within the blower; its nothing like the heat you get under boost...
When my car is all done I will see if I can do some datalogs of IAT with and without recirculation, just for curiosity's sake.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

Those who run meth will be less sensitive to Higher IATs
Old 04-10-2010, 03:49 PM
vettemann62
Burning Brakes

What I found interesting was that none of the above stats were during boost. They were purely based on rpm. I did do a few 40-70mph pulls in 4th gear hitting about 4 lbs of boost and the bov temps were not any higher than the ones I posted. It was wet out so I coulnt really lay into it. Will run more tests in a few days.

Get notified of new replies

To BOV AIR TEMPS...Are you curious???

Old 04-11-2010, 12:01 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

if you dont want to hear it do duals...it WILL work becasue the amout of air being released is cut in half....as doug said.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:51 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by excessive81
if you dont want to hear it do duals...it WILL work becasue the amout of air being released is cut in half....as doug said.
The amount of air released is still the same, it is just coming out of two holes so the air speed is halved, making the discharge a lot quieter
Old 04-11-2010, 01:43 PM
excessive81
Safety Car

i ment the amount each bypass valve sees

Quick Reply: BOV AIR TEMPS...Are you curious???