C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700-800 rwhp: What fuel injectors & pump(s) w/out a full blown system (budget)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by dmaxcamss
DSteck, it's not the labor that I'm worried about because I know the tank will have to be dropped, it's the money. $300 will get me twins and the hardware/wiring needed to install them. HOB system is like 2 grand+. What about height of those 2 injectors? I don't remember off the top of my head, but I know the LS2 injectors are shorties, are the LS3/LS7 longer or shorter? If longer, then I just simply need to space the rail. As far as the o-rings go, I can simply swap them out for a direct fit right?
A stock LS2 injector is 48mm o-ring to o-ring. LS3/LS7 is 34mm.

The HoB system is all inclusive... lines, rails, the pump assembly, everything. It is a TOTAL overhaul, and the only part you need are injectors.

ID injectors come with o-rings. No swapping required.

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
I don't know very many guys over 700 RW without meth. Come to think of it I know zero. On pump gas you will be will be hard pressed to get enough timing in it to crack 700 RW, regardless of fuel system. I guess with the stroker it's possible but you're making it hard on yourself, and your motor.
I'll be there, but I'm working with a 427. That's not cheating if it's stock displacement.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:41 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5 Liter Eater, oh wow, I didn't realize breaking the 700 rwhp mark was hard without meth. I figured having a larger motor would help aid this goal. How would this be hard on my motor?

DSteck, in your previous message, you stated that the ID850s are a direct swap for the LS3/LS7, which wouldn't be a direct swap for my vehicle. That's why I was saying all I needed to do was swap the o-rings and possibly space the rail. I don't doubt that the HOB is a nice system and all inclusive, it's just that I don't have $2000+ to spend right now on a system. By the way, I'm only 10 or 11 cubes away from you.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct. Originally my car peaked at 5600rpm and dropped off at that point with the twin walbro setup so it didn't see higher rpms as the blower was out of air "or" out of fuel at the time and couldn't carry it. Eitherway, it was a "cheap" way to do it at the time. Now I know its not good to go cheap on the fuel side of things if you want big power.

Now running the YSI, the twins w/o the return line was not keeping up to 7k which reduced my fp and the injector duty was at max.

I know your in a different situation (700-750) and with the twins, you should be ok. I on the otherhand was not.

BADZ, ok so your injectors were maxed out and fuel pressure was low because of the head unit swap correct? Because it was trying to produce more power and the setup you had just couldn't keep up anymore right? I don't think this would be the case for me as I'm only looking to make 700-800 rwhp and you're shoot for 1000 I'm guessing?
Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

DSteck, in your previous message, you stated that the ID850s are a direct swap for the LS3/LS7, which wouldn't be a direct swap for my vehicle. That's why I was saying all I needed to do was swap the o-rings and possibly space the rail. I don't doubt that the HOB is a nice system and all inclusive, it's just that I don't have $2000+ to spend right now on a system. By the way, I'm only 10 or 11 cubes away from you.
Right, but ID1000s would be a direct swap. The ID850s would require the rail to sit lower, but the ID1000s would be a direct swap. You don't have to swap o-rings with any of them though.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:00 PM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

BADZ, thanks for the info and you're spot on, we are looking for 2 different power levels.

DSteck, ok I'm confused. Lol Let me make sure I get this correct:

LS2 = 48mm o-rings
LS3/LS7 = 34mm o-rings
ID1000 = 48mm o-rings (LS2 direct swap)
ID850 = 34mm o-rings (LS3/LS7 direct swap)

But I don't need to swap the o-rings with any of them? How is that so unless ID will sell you the injectors with the proper o-rings with them. Most injector companies don't give you o-ring options.

I didn't want to overkill on my injectors, which is why I was thinking the ID850s, but with the correct o-rings. So you're stating that the ID850s are shorter than the LS2 length and will required the rail to move lower? Longer injectors is ok, you simply just add a spacer, but lowering the rail is a different story.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:05 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

The shorties are direct swap for LS2 rails. No need to alter anything. Yes, they do come with the O rings.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
ZO6er
Burning Brakes

Yes, now I'm assuming you have an ls7? That number was with pump gas and meth was of coarse used for "IATs". It. was never maxed out. Not for more power,never was tuned for it.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM
ZO6er
Burning Brakes

5 Liter Eater, oh wow, I didn't realize breaking the 700 rwhp mark was hard without meth. I figured having a larger motor would help aid this goal. How would this be hard on my motor?

My current setup I made 920+- WITHOUT meth, pumpgas
Old 04-27-2011, 02:37 PM
5 Liter Eater
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Yea yea Hector...I guess the extra cubes help out a lot. I am speaking from LS2 cube experience so it's probably out of turn. But do you ever run it on the street without meth and/or racecar gas? I'm not saying it's not possible on pump gas without meth but I would have to ask why try?

PS: OP said "on a budget" so built to the hilt 427's with twin 76 turbos doesn't count.

Last edited by 5 Liter Eater; 04-27-2011 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM
user_name
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Yea yea Hector...I guess the extra cubes help out a lot. I am speaking from LS2 cube experience so it's probably out of turn. But do you ever run it on the street without meth and/or racecar gas? I'm not saying it's not possible on pump gas without meth but I would have to ask why try?

PS: OP said "on a budget" so built to the hilt 427's with twin 76 turbos doesn't count.

Turbos are more efficient so they can make more power on pump. cubes help in the same way.

If the OP has 9:1 compression or something I think he will easily make 700+ w/o meth.

I'd do twin walbros and 83+ injectors for this setup. That is roughly $1k and you are set I believe.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by user_name
I'd do twin walbros and 83+ injectors for this setup. That is roughly $1k and you are set I believe.
/Agree

That's a great setup for no too much. It's also quality and won't jeopardize the setup.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:56 PM
golfinz
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Also, make sure you are using a ton of meth. Meth is a fuel source remember
Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Corvette-Chris
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Anyone have a generally idea of how much power dual walbros + lots of meth + 80# injectors (~93# @ 4bar) in a return style system will support? It happens to be a TT car
Old 04-27-2011, 09:11 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

DSteck, ok I'm confused. Lol Let me make sure I get this correct:

LS2 = 48mm o-rings
LS3/LS7 = 34mm o-rings
ID1000 = 48mm o-rings (LS2 direct swap)
ID850 = 34mm o-rings (LS3/LS7 direct swap)

But I don't need to swap the o-rings with any of them? How is that so unless ID will sell you the injectors with the proper o-rings with them. Most injector companies don't give you o-ring options.

I didn't want to overkill on my injectors, which is why I was thinking the ID850s, but with the correct o-rings. So you're stating that the ID850s are shorter than the LS2 length and will required the rail to move lower? Longer injectors is ok, you simply just add a spacer, but lowering the rail is a different story.
You're on the right track. The price difference between ID850s and ID1000s is negligible, and the tune has to be scaled either way, so may as well just go with the ID1000s. Injector Dynamics gives you the o-rings with the injectors... Here's what they look like in a package:

That's an ID850, but you get the idea.

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
The shorties are direct swap for LS2 rails. No need to alter anything. Yes, they do come with the O rings.
The "shorties" are 34mm, and if the OP is using a 48m injector, then they won't be a direct swap unless he can fit the rail lower without issue.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:33 AM
dmaxcamss
Burning Brakes

FactoryRaceCar, what I was saying is that injectors do come with o-rings, but most companies don't offer a selection/choice of o-rings. My question was, does ID offer a choice? For instance, could I order the 850s with the 48mm o-rings? But if the 850s are shorter, then I'm not gonna go through the trouble of lowering the rail. It's easy to raise it, but a bit more involved lowering it.

ZO6er, I'm running a D1SC and a 416 ci stroker. I didn't realize you were turboed until 5 Liter Eater pointed it out.

5 Liter Eater, I was thinking for sure that the extra displacement would help out. I believe the stock LS2 is somewhere in the 364 neighborhood and now I'm running a 416.

user_name, I'm running 9.7ish with a 416 displacement. I'm guessing you're referring to twin 255s? Would a single Aeromotive 340 support less, more, or about the same? What 83 lb. injectors are you referring to?

golfinz, meth won't be used at this time, I don't have the funds for it.

DSteck, what is the price difference between the 2 and how much do the ID1000s go for?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
DSteck
Safety Car

Tech Contributor

You are confusing spacers with o-rings. You can order ID850s with a spacer to make them the same length as a stock LS2 injector, but the spacers aren't cheap. ID850s without spacers are $880, and a set of ID1000s is $920. If you buy spacers, you'll end up spending another $60-80. There is NO trade-off by going to the 1000.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
user_name
Melting Slicks

FactoryRaceCar, what I was saying is that injectors do come with o-rings, but most companies don't offer a selection/choice of o-rings. My question was, does ID offer a choice? For instance, could I order the 850s with the 48mm o-rings? But if the 850s are shorter, then I'm not gonna go through the trouble of lowering the rail. It's easy to raise it, but a bit more involved lowering it.

ZO6er, I'm running a D1SC and a 416 ci stroker. I didn't realize you were turboed until 5 Liter Eater pointed it out.

5 Liter Eater, I was thinking for sure that the extra displacement would help out. I believe the stock LS2 is somewhere in the 364 neighborhood and now I'm running a 416.

user_name, I'm running 9.7ish with a 416 displacement. I'm guessing you're referring to twin 255s? Would a single Aeromotive 340 support less, more, or about the same? What 83 lb. injectors are you referring to?

golfinz, meth won't be used at this time, I don't have the funds for it.

DSteck, what is the price difference between the 2 and how much do the ID1000s go for?
Siemens 83#. I got mine from Hinson Supercars. Yes, twin walbros. Not sure on the 340, but the specs should be published. Just takes some math.

I think 700rwhp on pump shouldn't be a problem. Hard to say how much more. Guess you will find out.

Get notified of new replies

To 700-800 rwhp: What fuel injectors & pump(s) w/out a full blown system (budget)?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 AM
BADZ
Melting Slicks

I know you say that you don't have the funds for meth. I have a snow kit that just came off my car if your interested. Its used but not that much at all.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
golfinz
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just get a boost a pump and keep the boost down till you can afford something more.

My vote is a boost a pump and an alkycontrol meth kit...combined they will run you under $800 and should support around 600rwhp. Getting the meth kit now will be useful later down the road.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Another option is to use the Z06 fuel pump with better injectors and meth along with your BAP. I would recommend Racetronix harness though. It will get you over 700rwhp. Since you do your own work, labor cost won't be anything and you will still be under 1k.

Quick Reply: 700-800 rwhp: What fuel injectors & pump(s) w/out a full blown system (budget)?