C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Bought a Vette, now want a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 02:33 PM
yankforlife41
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought a Vette, now want a turbo

Hey,

Just bought my first vette. Picking it up monday.

I wanna get a turbo now, not sure what's good, and what's not.

Looking to run 700-800 hp though.

Found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...#ht_5059wt_939

Any good? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike
Old 09-18-2011, 03:08 PM
EDinPA
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 09-18-2011, 03:23 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yankforlife41
Hey,

Just bought my first vette. Picking it up monday.

I wanna get a turbo now, not sure what's good, and what's not.

Looking to run 700-800 hp though.

Found this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...#ht_5059wt_939

Any good? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

I suggest you take a step back and start doing some research... First off, your stock engine is not going to handle that kind of power, atleast not for long. So if you want to make that kind of power reliably, your talking about new rods and pistons at a minimum.

As far as turbo setups for the C6 go, your best option is turbo technology.... Be prepared to spend ALOT of money if you go turbo.

Superchargers are alot cheaper and will make the same power.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:42 PM
DSteck
Safety Car

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
Tech Contributor

Superchargers will not make the same power. They might make similar peak numbers, but a turbo power curve will crush a supercharger power curve... day in, day out.

I'm very happy with my TTi turbo kit, but turbo is definitely expensive.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i'm claiming 800 whp on my stock ls2. hehehe
Old 09-18-2011, 08:01 PM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DSteck
Superchargers will not make the same power. They might make similar peak numbers, but a turbo power curve will crush a supercharger power curve... day in, day out.

I'm very happy with my TTi turbo kit, but turbo is definitely expensive.
Perhaps I should have been more specific.... Im big turbo guy myself, but a turbo system is nothing to just jump into without knowing what your getting yourself into.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:39 PM
wooden
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are serious then figure on about $10,000 to get started at low boost, much more if you want big hp.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:03 AM
Paratrooper307
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Definitely think it through. The cost of the turbo is scratching the surface. To make it all work, you're looking at clutch, tire, and fuel system upgrade at minimum, plus costs of getting it tuned. For the type of power you want, then figure on differential, suspension, brakes, engine internals, methanol, etc, etc.

Start small with a system that you can upgrade as you go. If you're figuring on keeping it a street car, you may find life will be a lot more pleasant with fewer compromises at the 500-600 hp level. After that point, the costs start going up exponentially to gain power that you may not be able to use. There's a lot of experience on the forum, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:07 AM
jobberone
jobberone
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The SC route is the cheapest and you won't notice much if any difference in the seat of your pants between it and a turbo.

I run a C5 TT and my next FI will be a SCed car.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:51 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Paratrooper307
Definitely think it through. The cost of the turbo is scratching the surface. To make it all work, you're looking at clutch, tire, and fuel system upgrade at minimum, plus costs of getting it tuned. For the type of power you want, then figure on differential, suspension, brakes, engine internals, methanol, etc, etc.

Start small with a system that you can upgrade as you go. If you're figuring on keeping it a street car, you may find life will be a lot more pleasant with fewer compromises at the 500-600 hp level. After that point, the costs start going up exponentially to gain power that you may not be able to use. There's a lot of experience on the forum, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good advice.

solid advice here and as some1 else pointed out, ur stock engines not going 2 handle 700-800 hp
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM
Sleeper09
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what your past experiences are with FI vettes but this forum is full of knowledge. If turbos is the direction you want to go, I say go for it. However be sure you educate yourself on it first, there is a lot to consider. Do the search and continue to ask questions as you already are doing. Talk to the forum’s supporting vendors/builders to get professional insight. Race Proven Motorsports did my TT build. They used Turbo Technologies Inc. C6 Z06 turbo kit, which is a tried and proven system to well over 1k at the wheels. Reach out to Fran at Race Proven, he has built quite a few turbo vettes as well as supercharged.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:19 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Sleeper09
I am not sure what your past experiences are with FI vettes but this forum is full of knowledge. If turbos is the direction you want to go, I say go for it. However be sure you educate yourself on it first, there is a lot to consider. Do the search and continue to ask questions as you already are doing. Talk to the forum’s supporting vendors/builders to get professional insight. Race Proven Motorsports did my TT build. They used Turbo Technologies Inc. C6 Z06 turbo kit, which is a tried and proven system to well over 1k at the wheels. Reach out to Fran at Race Proven, he has built quite a few turbo vettes as well as supercharged.
Thanks Martin.

Feel free to give me a call Original Poster if you have any ?'s and i will answer then and give you my best advice and exp.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Frans96ss
Thanks Martin.

Feel free to give me a call Original Poster if you have any ?'s and i will answer then and give you my best advice and exp.
yea, please start bugging him so I know Im not the only 1
oh yea, Sleeper09 is on my "to bug list" as well.
As far as communication and guidance, these guys have been awesome!!!!

Last edited by Boba Fett; 09-22-2011 at 07:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Bought a Vette, now want a turbo

Quick Reply: Just Bought a Vette, now want a turbo