C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

faceplating guys step in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 09:57 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default faceplating guys step in.

Please tell me your experience with this setup. Would you consider OK for a weekend warrior? How about usage on the street? To clunkie? Appreciate your feed back. Couple this strained lpe power cut would be nasty!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:15 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Nick, Tommy- one of our head techs here, is the one who pioneered the face plated six speed in Rob Z's car. He is right in the middle of making a more streetable face plated trans. Normally they are a little rough on the street, but great on the track.
I'll let you know how that goes.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 AM
0Taylor@DallasPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
Nick, Tommy- one of our head techs here, is the one who pioneered the face plated six speed in Rob Z's car. He is right in the middle of making a more streetable face plated trans. Normally they are a little rough on the street, but great on the track.
I'll let you know how that goes.
Honestly, I didn't know that you could faceplate a vette trans due to the triple cone style syncro. Are these being back dated and then face plated now?

Very cool if so

Faceplating is loud but once you get use to the sound mentally I liked it. People do look at you like your $h!t is broke however
Old 09-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Give RPM Transmissions a call. They can handle it for you.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:49 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2, call TJ @ RPM. He can give you the best info regarding it.

Its loud, yes, and clunky yes.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:54 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

nice all the BIG GUNS replied.

thanks guys...
Old 09-28-2011, 11:56 AM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I put 5,000 street miles on my faceplated T56 in my f-body without any issues. We pulled the trans apart and inspected it and everything was still in perfect condition. A weekend warrior would last quite a while. The trans is clunkie when you shift but that is to be expected. This is the best video I have found of how the faceplated trans sounds as you drive it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArInujbVYU8
Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM
0rodney@rpmtransmissions
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little gun .... But check out the transmission in LPE's 8 sec. Camaro, we have changed the angle of back-cut on the face's more than once (its actually here right now getting another revision)to make it shift perfect with their new torque cut shifter/box.... I've stood down track and heard it coming and it sounds like a clutchless transmission should "BAD ***".
Old 09-28-2011, 12:02 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance
Honestly, I didn't know that you could faceplate a vette trans due to the triple cone style syncro. Are these being back dated and then face plated now?

Very cool if so

Faceplating is loud but once you get use to the sound mentally I liked it. People do look at you like your $h!t is broke however
Yea Taylor, we have to use single cone gears to do the faceplateing. We used to have to find an old race box mainshaft to do a corvette T56. But now we have a custmom shaft made out of 9310 that is designed for the single cone gears.

I did get some odd looks from time to time when I first started driving my faceplated trans. But once I realized that if you stick it in 5th gear befor you go to 1st the "CLUNK" is much quieter than if you go directly to 1st. Once you learn the ins and outs faceplating can't be beat IMHO.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
I put 5,000 street miles on my faceplated T56 in my f-body without any issues. We pulled the trans apart and inspected it and everything was still in perfect condition. A weekend warrior would last quite a while. The trans is clunkie when you shift but that is to be expected. This is the best video I have found of how the faceplated trans sounds as you drive it.

thanks Jeremy,

is the trans clunkier in lower gears?
i just think that with my setup that it would make a HUGE difference.
i also read that double clutching is required when shifting but that doesnt look to be the case.

would my current zr1 tr6060 be a good candidate? to best of my knowledge the gear material is more robust then standard 6060.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
thanks Jeremy,

is the trans clunkier in lower gears?
i just think that with my setup that it would make a HUGE difference.
i also read that double clutching is required when shifting but that doesnt look to be the case.

would my current zr1 tr6060 be a good candidate? to best of my knowledge the gear material is more robust then standard 6060.
No poblem Nick.
Yes, in the T56 1st-4th gears are clunkie just because the windows between the lugs of the faceplates. The TR6060 can be faceplated on all 6 gears.
The difference just depends on how slow you have to shift right now. Being turboed you can't beat being able to WOT shift and with LPE's WOT box it might help quite a bit.
Double clutching is not required. You can shift it just like a normal snychronized trans. The only requirement is that you shift it as fast as you can. The harder and faster you can shift a faceplated transmission the better off it is. If you ***** foot around with the shifts you will clash the faceplates and cause damage to them.
If your car likes the 2.29 ratio the best then I would recommend having the ZR1 trans faceplated. If you think another ratio would work better I wouldn't let the different alloy of the ZR1 gears keep me with a ratio that doesn't work the best. The gears are a little different alloy but I haven't had a TR6060 of any ratio come in with a burnt up gearset from too much power.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylor@DallasPerformance

Very cool if so

Thats what he was told too, but he got it worked out a few years ago somehow. I know he gave the info to some of the trans part suppliers and it Looks like RPM is doing the same too.

He is working on a syncro'd first gear and face plated from there on a T6060. Dont ask me how, I'm not a trans guy and do not pretend to be, but if it works out it would be pretty cool.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

No poblem Nick.
Yes, in the T56 1st-4th gears are clunkie just because the windows between the lugs of the faceplates. The TR6060 can be faceplated on all 6 gears.
The difference just depends on how slow you have to shift right now. Being turboed you can't beat being able to WOT shift and with LPE's WOT box it might help quite a bit.
Double clutching is not required. You can shift it just like a normal snychronized trans. The only requirement is that you shift it as fast as you can. The harder and faster you can shift a faceplated transmission the better off it is. If you ***** foot around with the shifts you will clash the faceplates and cause damage to them.
If your car likes the 2.29 ratio the best then I would recommend having the ZR1 trans faceplated. If you think another ratio would work better I wouldn't let the different alloy of the ZR1 gears keep me with a ratio that doesn't work the best. The gears are a little different alloy but I haven't had a TR6060 of any ratio come in with a burnt up gearset from too much power.

jeremey very informative!
i like the tall 1st and the closer 2nd and 3rd.
is the lpe straind avaliable?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Zosickness
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That doesn't seem that bad too me. If you don't like it just get a loud exhaust LOL
Old 09-28-2011, 03:52 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by NICK YOSKIN
jeremey very informative!
i like the tall 1st and the closer 2nd and 3rd.
is the lpe straind avaliable?
I talked to Kevin at LPE and he said the box should be ready in a few weeks.

Originally Posted by Zosickness
That doesn't seem that bad too me. If you don't like it just get a loud exhaust LOL
I like the way you think
Old 09-28-2011, 04:41 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to drive it like a man. If you put it in neutral, and push the clutch in at idle while rolling down the road, it wont go into gear. You are removing the syncro, which previously allowed you to do that. You should get familiar with match-reving on downshifts, and neutral engagements.

There is no granny shifting it, stick it in the next hole like you mean it.

Do not use the clutch. you can use the clutch on the street to ease choppyness/clunkyness, but on the track, just put a little effort on the shifter, under load, and as soon as you pull back on the lever ( LPE style) and it cuts ignition, it will go into the next gear.

If you do not use the LPE style, same thing, just reduce torque by either tapping the limiter, or letting off the gas just to release the load on the dogs.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
venomws7
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Louis
"" stick it in the next hole like you mean it ""

Get notified of new replies

To faceplating guys step in.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Tiago
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you enjoy driving your car, DON'T DO IT!!!!

its HORRIBLE for a street car....

and it doesn't add any strength to the trans either, you will still shear gears...
Old 09-28-2011, 10:38 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tiago

and it doesn't add any strength to the trans either, you will still shear gears...
Tiago sounds like you've personal experienced.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:54 PM
0Jeremy@RPMTransmissions
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Tiago

I enjoyed driving my car more after the faceplating.... I dont see how a "clunk" when shifting can ruin the driving experience of a corvette =/

A fully micropolished faceplated transmission shifts smoother than an manual transmission I have ever driven. You can literally take your finger tips and flick the shifter into gear.

Like it was said earlier, you have to drive it like a man.

Quick Reply: faceplating guys step in.