C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best supercharger for c6 base

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 08:08 PM
cruise-2-XS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a tuner add a Magnuson "heartbeat" PD unit. It is new technology, and deals with the "heat soak" problem others have mentioned. You can watch the Magnuson Youtube to learn more. Also, there is a Youtube of Lingenfelter (I think) with a motor on a test stand and a Magnuson Heartbeat making 900+ Flywheel HP.

Stock LS3, upgraded with Magnuson Heartbeat, Trickflow heads, custom blower cam, and Billy Boat long tube headers. 600 RWHP at 5# boost on premium pump gas. Great as a daily driver. Everything fits under the stock hood, saving a ton of parts and paint $. Only the fantastic loping idle gives it away (oh yeah, and the smoking tires too).
Old 08-11-2014, 11:03 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise-2-XS
I had a tuner add a Magnuson "heartbeat" PD unit. It is new technology, and deals with the "heat soak" problem others have mentioned. You can watch the Magnuson Youtube to learn more. Also, there is a Youtube of Lingenfelter (I think) with a motor on a test stand and a Magnuson Heartbeat making 900+ Flywheel HP.

Stock LS3, upgraded with Magnuson Heartbeat, Trickflow heads, custom blower cam, and Billy Boat long tube headers. 600 RWHP at 5# boost on premium pump gas. Great as a daily driver. Everything fits under the stock hood, saving a ton of parts and paint $. Only the fantastic loping idle gives it away (oh yeah, and the smoking tires too).
If your blower was installed by one of the two shops in the southeastern wisconsin area that I am thinking of, I know the "tuners" at both places and neither of them would run that blower on their personal cars. That should tell you something in itself. Both the tuners for the local shops run turbo setups. One had a maggie on his C5 for a while but it quickly went away because they just dont make any real power.

Also, there is nothing "new" about that technology regardless of whatever propaganda you have read (and lingenfelter is real good for marketing propaganda), nothing they have changed from the original TVS 2300 makes the IAT's any lower, just the oposite actually. The actual original TVS 2300 head unit that magnuson offers will outperform the "heartbeat" because it isnt chopped down to fit under a stock hood. Taking the length out of the intake runners and making the package more compact makes the IAT's less manageable.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by breecher_7

Also, there is nothing "new" about that technology regardless of whatever propaganda you have read (and lingenfelter is real good for marketing propaganda), nothing they have changed from the original TVS 2300 makes the IAT's any lower, just the oposite actually. The actual original TVS 2300 head unit that magnuson offers will outperform the "heartbeat" because it isnt chopped down to fit under a stock hood. Taking the length out of the intake runners and making the package more compact makes the IAT's less manageable.
You could be more wrong, but you'd have to try hard. The Heartbeat is head and shoulders better than a jackshaft Maggie in the IAT department. I've owned both in different LS3 powered Vettes. At cruise, the IAT's are very similar. 10 to 15 degrees over ambient. Under boost, the Heartbeat goes up only about 20 degrees and recovers as soon as you lift your foot. The older Maggie goes up almost twice that much and doesn't recover near as quick. The heat exchanger is an upgrade vs the older Maggie. The intercoolers are also a step in the right direction.

I'm still working on the power end of things. The Heartbeat is somewhat limited in that the smallest blower pulley available is a 3.2". Being a front drive, there's no overdriven rear pulley option. That should be enough for about 700 at the wheels once I get things sorted out. I've had belt slip issues that were "diagnosed" as just about everything but plain old belt slip.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 AM
breecher_7
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You could be more wrong, but you'd have to try hard. The Heartbeat is head and shoulders better than a jackshaft Maggie in the IAT department. I've owned both in different LS3 powered Vettes. At cruise, the IAT's are very similar. 10 to 15 degrees over ambient. Under boost, the Heartbeat goes up only about 20 degrees and recovers as soon as you lift your foot. The older Maggie goes up almost twice that much and doesn't recover near as quick. The heat exchanger is an upgrade vs the older Maggie. The intercoolers are also a step in the right direction.

I'm still working on the power end of things. The Heartbeat is somewhat limited in that the smallest blower pulley available is a 3.2". Being a front drive, there's no overdriven rear pulley option. That should be enough for about 700 at the wheels once I get things sorted out. I've had belt slip issues that were "diagnosed" as just about everything but plain old belt slip.
There you go... Chasing power with a heat pump again...

3.2" pulley on a YSI would make over 800whp with ease (and cooler intake temps!)... Just sayin....

I must admit though... The current TVS 2300 and Heartbeat units are light years ahead of what was available when these screw blowers put a bad taste in my mouth. Still though, they run to hot for my liking and they just dont make enough power in my opinion. I will never disagree that they are fun to drive because they are. But shredding the tires at 2000rpm gets old pretty quick.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:55 AM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by breecher_7
There you go... Chasing power with a heat pump again...

3.2" pulley on a YSI would make over 800whp with ease (and cooler intake temps!)... Just sayin....

I must admit though... The current TVS 2300 and Heartbeat units are light years ahead of what was available when these screw blowers put a bad taste in my mouth. Still though, they run to hot for my liking and they just dont make enough power in my opinion. I will never disagree that they are fun to drive because they are. But shredding the tires at 2000rpm gets old pretty quick.
Just need to use them where they were designed to be used. Just because someone got 800+hp out of a TVS doesn't mean they're good in that app. Absolutely, if 650 to 700 at the wheels isn't enough for you, a TVS2300 probably isn't a good choice. If, however, you're good with that power level, I don't think there's a better option available.

Oh....and huge power available on the low end NEVER gets old. You don't have to destroy the tires to feel it
Old 08-12-2014, 11:53 AM
0Presence Dist.
Former Vendor

I can set you up with the ECS or the A&A kit!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 01:57 PM
goshendad
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Presence Dist.
I can set you up with the ECS or the A&A kit!!!
Those are my 2 top choices. What are the real gains of each and installed price?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:47 PM
0Presence Dist.
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by goshendad
Those are my 2 top choices. What are the real gains of each and installed price?
checking if you got my PM
Old 09-01-2014, 04:13 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Would the recommended choice of a PD or a centri style blower change based on the cars transmission? Is one better for an auto equipped car vs a manual equipped car?
Old 09-01-2014, 05:18 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Would the recommended choice of a PD or a centri style blower change based on the cars transmission? Is one better for an auto equipped car vs a manual equipped car?
You need to decide how much power you want and how you want said power delivered. If you know you'll eventually want 700+ rwhp, centri is your easiest way to get there. Not saying that a p/d won't get you there....just takes more $'s.

For a mild street app, p/d is your answer. More power than stock at any rpm above idle. Transmission choice matters little. Full boost is always available at just about any rpm you choose to use it.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:29 PM
Neumonic2002
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by old motorhead
You need to decide how much power you want and how you want said power delivered. If you know you'll eventually want 700+ rwhp, centri is your easiest way to get there. Not saying that a p/d won't get you there....just takes more $'s.

For a mild street app, p/d is your answer. More power than stock at any rpm above idle. Transmission choice matters little. Full boost is always available at just about any rpm you choose to use it.
Thanks old motorhead, not sure what the op's end goal is? Me personally, dependability, like stock manners and fun would the ticket for me with an auto this next time around so I'm looking hard at the Heartbeat.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:39 PM
0Presence Dist.
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Neumonic2002
Thanks old motorhead, not sure what the op's end goal is? Me personally, dependability, like stock manners and fun would the ticket for me with an auto this next time around so I'm looking hard at the Heartbeat.
the heart beat is a great blower and has a wicked seat of the pans feel. making the car very fun to drive. I can set you up with the heartbeat when you are ready
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Nosferatu
Le Mans Master

Received 127 Likes on 80 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I've driven (and rode shotgun) both a PD and a centri based LS3 stick shift.

It wasn't a fair comparison as the centri was in a heavier Camaro and it had a cam (650/650ish). The PD I drove was the E-Force (made 580rwhp/611rwtq).

Driving the car: It "feels" more powerful down low on the PD (helped it's a much lighter car I drove) and while it pulled hard at redline the Camaro with the centri pulled like a freaking monster up top. The whole car lifted up.

Passenger seat: both felt really strong but man oh man the centri ripped and was downright scary

Needless to say, I bought an ECS 1500 (centri) and it's getting installed in about two weeks. If I remember, I'll chime back in here.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:33 PM
realMcCoy
Heel & Toe

If you are in NY, I would take it to ECS in Cream Ridge, NJ. Install a blower and alky control system on my 2008 base about 2 years ago and I could not be happier. Great guys and great work.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:23 PM
seung012
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ECS, especially since you are in NY. Close drive and full customer service!
Old 11-22-2022, 04:10 PM
sipdog
Cruising

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goshendad
I am interested in putting a supercharger into my base C6. I have a SLP CAI and Cora catback exhaust. Can anyone recommend the best supercharger for this car? Most hp gain and price. I read a lot about "ProCharger" and some guys are saying the Edelbrock retains its value but I do not know. Help is appreciated.
im going procharger,im also adding cold air ,cam,long tubes,xpipe,no cats borla s type
Old 11-29-2022, 07:07 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,095 Likes on 2,079 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

For a daily driver that spends most of it's operating time at lower RPMs, I installed a PD supercharger just for the lightning fast throttle response and high torque at low RPM ... plays hell with the rear tires ! . .

Magnuson 'Heartbeat'

2011 GS with automatic transmission and a 2,800 stall converter ...

Attachment 48331544

Attachment 48331311

Last edited by Turbo6TA; 11-29-2022 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: best supercharger for c6 base