Hood ventilation options? - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood ventilation options?

Old 04-06-2018, 04:42 PM
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Sergio7 View Post
Can you post pictures of how you the mesh is held on on the back

That was the easy part I used fiber glass resin sense is transparent so it don't even show is there, ones I got the mesh to seat flat all around and marked the boundaries I applied the resin to both the mesh and the hood laid it on there and used deep 1/2 sockets for weights till it dries.

I have sense started using a transparent two parts epoxy which is easier to apply and less **** to run or as bridle I get it at Loews hardware or harbor flake.

https://www.harborfreight.com/super-...oxy-92665.html
Old 04-06-2018, 05:11 PM
BigV
CF Member

Who did the installation? How long did it take? I live near Chicago so it's no problem for me to drive to Indianapolis get this installed on my Z06
Old 04-07-2018, 06:26 PM
high9s
CF Senior Member

Default My hood vents

Old 04-07-2018, 08:43 PM
itomh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Who did the installation? How long did it take? I live near Chicago so it's no problem for me to drive to Indianapolis get this installed on my Z06
I did the install, not sure if I would be willing to cut someone elseís hood. The center hood vent only takes about 15 minutes to cut, took about 30 minutes to sand and clean cut edges. The side vents took longer as I cut openings smaller and sanded to fit, so may 45 minutes per side vent.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:22 AM
BigV
CF Member

Originally Posted by itomh View Post

I did the install, not sure if I would be willing to cut someone elseís hood. The center hood vent only takes about 15 minutes to cut, took about 30 minutes to sand and clean cut edges. The side vents took longer as I cut openings smaller and sanded to fit, so may 45 minutes per side vent.
Thanks for the info. I know that I'm not comfortable doing any cutting. Your hood looks great.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:29 PM
itomh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Thanks for the info. I know that I'm not comfortable doing any cutting. Your hood looks great.
The center hood vent is real easy and the cuts are very forgiving, I have no doubt that you can do that all day without problems. The side vents were a bit nerving as it allowed as the outer lip had very little wiggle room for errors, the sides have little less then 1/4" to work with. one twitch of the wrist and I would have screwed my hood up. I made my cut on the side vents smaller and did quite a bit of sanding for a tight fit, however, I did have a backup plan. I found another set of side vents that were a little more forgiving as they had a larger lip. They are a smaller version of the Mustang side vents. Personally, I prefer these side vents over the Mustang vents in conjunction with the Camaro hood vent as their shape is close to what I have installed already.

Last edited by itomh; 04-16-2018 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM
itomh
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by itomh View Post
The center hood vent is real easy and the cuts are very forgiving, I have no doubt that you can do that all day without problems. The side vents were a bit nerving as it allowed as the outer lip had very little wiggle room for errors, the sides have little less then 1/4" to work with. one twitch of the wrist and I would have screwed my hood up. I made my cut on the side vents smaller and did quite a bit of sanding for a tight fit, however, I did have a backup plan. I found another set of side vents that were a little more forgiving as they had a larger lip. They are a smaller version of the Mustang side vents. Personally, I prefer these side vents over the Mustang vents in conjunction with the Camaro hood vent as their shape is close to what I have installed already. You may want to consider these.

I prefer the mesh ones I have, but these were my backup plan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABS-Plastic...53.m1438.l2649

Old 04-18-2018, 12:49 AM
xBoostx
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

How about one of these on a c6 hood?

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=4931
Old 04-18-2018, 01:01 AM
chpmnsws6
CF Senior Member

This is tempting.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/2865156-hood-vents-2.html

I currently have a WH hood which is killer but I also have a fiance who wants to build a new house soon... Poor car just keeps getting the short end of the stick haha
Old 04-18-2018, 05:59 AM
usmcpony
CF Senior Member

When you put the vents lower down the hood. You're sucking out the cold air before it hits the engine. You're best bet is to put the vents farther back to let the hot air out.

Last edited by usmcpony; 04-18-2018 at 05:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 04:28 PM
drew_c6
CF Senior Member

I'm still curious if the most recent version of Camaro SS hood vents would work out, but between repair and projects, I haven't had the time or $ to look into it further.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:34 AM
SteveSierra
CF Senior Member

How about some jaguar vents?
they come with supercharged which is perfect with those of you with a charger and Iíve also seen them plain. I think they look classy.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:39 AM
vettemayhem
CF Member

Originally Posted by high9s View Post
I like the location of the TrackSpec vents. Did you install them yourself? Do you have some pics of the underhood that you could post?
Old 04-28-2018, 03:51 AM
yip
CF Senior Member

I have the TrackSpec vents combined with shrouding that forces air through the stack. I have an A&A kit that we significantly modified so the intercooler is up against the bumper mesh grill in front of the bumper support. We were having overheating issues in anything above mid 80's but now I've been in 90+ degree weather and the highest temp I've seen is 220 even running it hard for extended periods of time. No more pulling timing or break up at higher temps.

The TrackSpec vents absolutely help but if you have the ability you should shroud around the bumper intake areas and make sure to seal off any open spaces for air to escape and make sure it has to flow through the stack and out the hood.

Last edited by yip; 04-28-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:54 AM
vettemayhem
CF Member

Originally Posted by yip View Post
I have the TrackSpec vents combined with shrouding that forces air through the stack. I have an A&A kit that we significantly modified so the intercooler is up against the bumper mesh grill in front of the bumper support. We were having overheating issues in anything above mid 80's but now I've been in 90+ degree weather and the highest temp I've seen is 216 even running it hard for extended periods of time. No more pulling timing or break up at higher temps.

The TrackSpec vents absolutely help but if you have the ability you should shroud around the bumper intake areas and make sure to seal off any open spaces for air to escape and make sure it has to flow through the stack and out the hood.
Thank you....great information.....do you have any pics you can post?
Old 04-28-2018, 02:08 PM
yip
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by vettemayhem View Post
Thank you....great information.....do you have any pics you can post?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...06-v3-kit.html

Towards the bottom of the thread you can see the shrouding. I don't have pics of the hood but can post some up later. Placement of the vents is similar to high9s pic above. When you buy the TrackSpec vents it comes with a template that they claim has been tested for best placement.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:16 AM
vettemayhem
CF Member

Originally Posted by yip View Post
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...06-v3-kit.html

Towards the bottom of the thread you can see the shrouding. I don't have pics of the hood but can post some up later. Placement of the vents is similar to high9s pic above. When you buy the TrackSpec vents it comes with a template that they claim has been tested for best placement.
Thanks for the detailed pictures....some very nice engineering.
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM
ESSFO
CF Senior Member

I finally got mine installed and the hood back on last week. Very impressed with the quality of the parts and installation instructions..

Old 05-15-2018, 09:49 AM
vettemayhem
CF Member

Dang, those vents look great! Looking forward to installing mine. Still working on the cage and interior to go back in soon....then the vents and splitter. Thanks for the pic.
Old 05-15-2018, 12:25 PM
~STOLEN~
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ESSFO View Post
I finally got mine installed and the hood back on last week. Very impressed with the quality of the parts and installation instructions..

have any info on the wrap process on your car? i just found a color i am willing to attempt this but wanted some feedback about doing it on a corvette before pulling trigger.
did you do it yourself?

looks awesome

Last edited by ~STOLEN~; 05-15-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hood ventilation options?

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: