C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Afr question...

Old 05-03-2018, 02:03 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech
There are multiple schools of thought on it. The clutch manufacturers always want to you to break it in 500 miles, so that's what I've always done.

500 miles in stop/go traffic is very different than 500 miles mostly major roads though.

Hence a poor target
5 miles stuck in traffic could see more engagement/disengagement actions from the clutch than the main road 500 miles.

And ultimately it is that light slippage they want to see for any surfaces to bed into each other.
If the clutch is made correctly though, all surfaces will already be true and flat, so there should be almost no bed in time required.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:12 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
500 miles in stop/go traffic is very different than 500 miles mostly major roads though.

Hence a poor target
5 miles stuck in traffic could see more engagement/disengagement actions from the clutch than the main road 500 miles.

And ultimately it is that light slippage they want to see for any surfaces to bed into each other.
If the clutch is made correctly though, all surfaces will already be true and flat, so there should be almost no bed in time required.

All of the manufacturers recommendations say the same thing re: stop/go driving.

There is no harm in following their recommendations. But if you don't, and you have a problem, they'll tell you it's your fault for not breaking in the clutch properly. Granted, I did have a clutch chew up my transmission in <200 miles with NO obvious side affects. I won't go 500 miles again without testing for dragging and making sure the shifter goes into gear cleanly at high RPM.

This school of thought is the same for brakes and fresh engines. Some say let 'er eat and they never have problems. Some say not to. It's your choice to error on the side of caution or not.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:49 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

All of the manufacturers recommendations say the same thing re: stop/go driving.

There is no harm in following their recommendations. But if you don't, and you have a problem, they'll tell you it's your fault for not breaking in the clutch properly. Granted, I did have a clutch chew up my transmission in <200 miles with NO obvious side affects. I won't go 500 miles again without testing for dragging and making sure the shifter goes into gear cleanly at high RPM.

This school of thought is the same for brakes and fresh engines. Some say let 'er eat and they never have problems. Some say not to. It's your choice to error on the side of caution or not.
I'm about 200 miles in with most of it being around town/traffic....Im feeling it's pretty close at this point. Mantic twin/tick master/mgw shifter= butter smooth shifts
Old 05-05-2018, 09:24 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
I'm about 200 miles in with most of it being around town/traffic....Im feeling it's pretty close at this point. Mantic twin/tick master/mgw shifter= butter smooth shifts
Im about to tune my car....thinking of doing wideband and fuel press on A pillar pod ....is an analog fuel pressure output needed for HP tuner (remote tune) or do you just go by wideband?

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 05-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:22 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 730 Likes on 472 Posts

There are multiple schools of thought on it. The clutch manufacturers always want to you to break it in 500 miles, so that's what I've always done.
Follow Mantic dual disc 500 mile break in period procedure, I did and my Mantic 9000 continues to be flawless 15,000 miles later!

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 05-06-2018 at 12:29 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 12:02 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

I did 300 miles with some stop and go before I drove my Mantic triple in Boost. No problems. Your there...
Old 05-06-2018, 12:04 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TTZ06VETTE
I did 300 miles with some stop and go before I drove my Mantic triple in Boost. No problems. Your there...
Old 05-07-2018, 11:27 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Im about to tune my car....thinking of doing wideband and fuel press on A pillar pod ....is an analog fuel pressure output needed for HP tuner (remote tune) or do you just go by wideband?
Most just go by wideband but more data isn't going to hurt. You'd have to add a 0-5V pressure sensor to wire into HPTuners for it to be able to read that. These cars don't have any sort of fuel pressure sensor from the factory so HPT can't read it unless you add one
Old 05-07-2018, 08:23 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by schpenxel
Most just go by wideband but more data isn't going to hurt. You'd have to add a 0-5V pressure sensor to wire into HPTuners for it to be able to read that. These cars don't have any sort of fuel pressure sensor from the factory so HPT can't read it unless you add one
Im using the sensor you told me about from casper electonics. Hooks to schrader valve on rail...going to holley fuel rails,so not sure how im going to make it work? Running a dual walbro 450's intank setup....so shouldn't have any fuel/pressure issues i hope.

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 05-07-2018 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

**UPDATE** I found a coupler loose on the charge tube (not sure how that got overlooked).....wtf! Would this cause the AFR to read rich?

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 05-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Tech
Safety Car

**UPDATE** I found a coupler loose on the charge tube (not sure how that got overlooked).....wtf! Would this cause the AFR to read rich?
Depends where it was loose. If it's after the MAF (or really close to it), yes.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:38 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Depends where it was loose. If it's after the MAF (or really close to it), yes.
It was coupler attaching tube to throttle body...after maf...but im speed density tuned w/ iat sensor in manifold?
Old 05-14-2018, 02:10 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

Wideband will "read" correctly regardless, wideband doesn't care about an air leak. That's not to say it isn't actually lean or rich, just that the wideband will still be reporting whatever it actually is

I say fix the leak and try it. If the entire VE table was perfect everywhere then I don't know that it would make any difference, but it's possible you're hitting spots in the table that the tuner didn't hit when tuning it so you're getting richer or whatever than it should be

Fix it and see what happens..

Last edited by schpenxel; 05-14-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:01 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Wideband will "read" correctly regardless, wideband doesn't care about an air leak. That's not to say it isn't actually lean or rich, just that the wideband will still be reporting whatever it actually is

I say fix the leak and try it. If the entire VE table was perfect everywhere then I don't know that it would make any difference, but it's possible you're hitting spots in the table that the tuner didn't hit when tuning it so you're getting richer or whatever than it should be

Fix it and see what happens..
I understand the wideband reading what it see"s....but wasn't sure being speed density tuned if the computer is just adding "tuned" amount of fuel and can't tell if there is equal air parts to work with it...as my MAF is tuned out (im very vague on speed density tuning).

Last edited by C U IN REARVEIW; 05-14-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:07 PM
Tech
Safety Car

It was coupler attaching tube to throttle body...after maf...but im speed density tuned w/ iat sensor in manifold?
Ah.. didn't realize you weren't using the MAF. Probably not then.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I understand the wideband reading what it see"s....but wasn't sure being speed density tuned if the computer is just adding "tuned" amount of fuel and can't tell if there is equal air parts to work with it...as my MAF is tuned out (im very vague on speed density tuning).
Less air would mean less boost which, should, mean less fuel (different spot in VE table). In reality, it may or it may not actually happen like that, depending on how it was tuned
Old 05-14-2018, 07:51 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Less air would mean less boost which, should, mean less fuel (different spot in VE table). In reality, it may or it may not actually happen like that, depending on how it was tuned
Yeah,I put it back together and tried it....better;but still off. If I have to re-tune it....i may as well pulley down and go with dual meth nozzles as I've been putting it off for awhile now. Im running a single M15 on (5 on controller).....would it be better to just turn this up vs. Run 2 M10"s? Going to be running a 3.4' pulley

Get notified of new replies

To Afr question...

Old 05-14-2018, 07:53 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

I'd rather use a smaller nozzle and turn the controller way up than the other way around personally. Mine's as high as it will go but I think I'm just running an M10 nozzle now? Not sure, but def isn't more than 1 M15
Old 05-14-2018, 07:58 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

I'd rather use a smaller nozzle and turn the controller way up than the other way around personally. Mine's as high as it will go but I think I'm just running an M10 nozzle now? Not sure, but def isn't more than 1 M15
You are running the 3.4" pulley on a T-trim as well correct?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:01 PM
schpenxel
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '15

3.25, ECS 1500, whatever that is. Same as a T trim I think

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Afr question...