C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and Supercharger question

Old 06-06-2019, 12:11 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Headers and Supercharger question

So I previously had a supercharged C5 (530 wrhp) that I owned from 2003-2010. When I first owned that car I was single and could do what I wanted when I wanted so as you can imagine car life was fun. Now being married with 4 kids.... I was lucky to have convinced my wife to sell the boat we were not using enough (the boat that replaced my C5) I recently got back into a vette buying a 2010 convertible 6spd grand sport.... The car is basically stock except for a CAI and a tune. As you can imagine it is not fast enough for me.....LOL. It is not bad but once you taste HP it's very hard to back peddle.
I would love to supercharge this car but I had to promise my wife that I would not stick money into mods for a couple years. Hey at least I have a vette again! right..... So on with my question. The one mod I could do that is not all that cheap but could make a nice addition power wise and sound wise would be a nice set of Kooks headers and x pipe with a new tune. I believe I would want them if I was to eventually get a supercharger right? Are they a waste of money or are the necessary with a SC? My headers on my C5 I had ceramic coated that still is a smart option correct? What issues would I need to worry about with the additional heat from headers? Would I need to buy any complimentary items? heat resistant plug wires? thicker tunnel plate? ext..... ????
Or should I skip the headers and just keep saving for the supercharger and just add a supercharger and no headers. My goal ideally would be 600 RWHP but I guess I would be happy with 550 RWHP too. it's just 600 rwhp sounds so much cooler....LOL
But being a few years away from a supercharger add I thought headers might be a small pacifier and I might need/want them later anyway.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-06-2019, 12:30 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

For your power goal, I would just save for the supercharger. If going the supercharger route, headers are always a good option. I would get catless headers because they don't last with boost. In addition, getting rid of the cats, ceramic coating the x-pipe, and adding an Elite Engineering tunnel plate with thermal abs greatly reduced my tunnel heat inside the car.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:46 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Thanks for your input. If I eliminate the cats can i still pass emissions in WI?

If I am going with a SC and I would want headers anyway I thought it would be nice to enjoy them now until I get a SC...... agree? or is the power increase nothing that I would feel to excited about?

I am a Tool & Die maker. I can make my own tunnel plate if I had a template to work from if anyone had one for local pick up I would buy a stock one.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Not sure what the emissions requirements are in WI, but you could always buy a catted x-pipe and gut them when you get the supercharger. With a tune, you'll probably pick up 25-30whp with the headers. So, yes the headers are worth it for both N/A and boosted applications.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:58 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

The place that I would have them added is a Kooks dealer are they still one of the best options for headers?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

I went with ARH, but yes, Kooks are good as well.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:25 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 216 Posts
Default Supercharger

I have a bone stock 2013 GS with just a V3Si Trim supercharger. Stock exhaust manifolds and exhaust system with NPP. After dyno tuning, it put down a whopping 600 to the wheels! And I was planning of adding Kooks long tubes headers/ xpipe....but not anytime soon. I’m more than happy with the power. I don’t race or track the car. It’s weekend getaway car with my wife. When in the highway, watch out, it just keeps pulling and pulling. I love it!

Last edited by LOURDESBELLE; 06-06-2019 at 02:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by LOURDESBELLE:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (06-07-2019), spdkilz911 (06-07-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:24 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

NICE! PM me your details and costs PLEASE
Old 06-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Bstock
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I basically went the route you are asking about. I have a 2013 GS M6 and I first did kooks headers, catless xpipe, and tune. I ended up at 418whp after that first round of mods. I just got my car back from having an A&A supercharger along with meth injection. It put down 638whp and 565ft lbs of torque. I'm glad I did the headers and mid pipes first it was a nice bump in power and sound for a couple years. Now the car is on a whole different level.

Last edited by Bstock; 06-06-2019 at 09:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (06-07-2019)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:12 AM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

PM'd you.....
Old 06-07-2019, 12:08 PM
jchappies
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

ZO6 manifolds and x-pipes is a cheaper alternative and will hold the HP of a SC, it's 3in all the way back. You'll defiantly end up with more HP with headers though.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:20 PM
C6KWJ
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboyvette
So I previously had a supercharged C5 (530 wrhp) that I owned from 2003-2010. When I first owned that car I was single and could do what I wanted when I wanted so as you can imagine car life was fun. Now being married with 4 kids.... I was lucky to have convinced my wife to sell the boat we were not using enough (the boat that replaced my C5) I recently got back into a vette buying a 2010 convertible 6spd grand sport.... The car is basically stock except for a CAI and a tune. As you can imagine it is not fast enough for me.....LOL. It is not bad but once you taste HP it's very hard to back peddle.
I would love to supercharge this car but I had to promise my wife that I would not stick money into mods for a couple years. Hey at least I have a vette again! right..... So on with my question. The one mod I could do that is not all that cheap but could make a nice addition power wise and sound wise would be a nice set of Kooks headers and x pipe with a new tune. I believe I would want them if I was to eventually get a supercharger right? Are they a waste of money or are the necessary with a SC? My headers on my C5 I had ceramic coated that still is a smart option correct? What issues would I need to worry about with the additional heat from headers? Would I need to buy any complimentary items? heat resistant plug wires? thicker tunnel plate? ext..... ????
Or should I skip the headers and just keep saving for the supercharger and just add a supercharger and no headers. My goal ideally would be 600 RWHP but I guess I would be happy with 550 RWHP too. it's just 600 rwhp sounds so much cooler....LOL
But being a few years away from a supercharger add I thought headers might be a small pacifier and I might need/want them later anyway.

Thanks,

Tom
Headers are not a waste of money and the my sound amazing. More importantly when you get a supercharger so day you will yield more power with headers.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:44 AM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Default thanks

Originally Posted by C6KWJ
Headers are not a waste of money and the my sound amazing. More importantly when you get a supercharger so day you will yield more power with headers.
Thank you my friend, I actually did go ahead and purchase a set of 1 7/8 Kooks "jet hot" coated headers and high flow catted mid pipe. I can basically gaurentee I will never be over 600 rwhp with my car once supercharged. I keep getting a mixed bag of comments on plus and minus of jet hot coated headers. I don't care about the cost of it is there really any other negative?? I like the fact they do help keep the heat down and they always look like new! as far as the high flow cats..... people say that I would blow them out??? some say wont be a problem..... if I 550-600 rwhp range would i really have this problem or is that for the higher hp range cars like 700 plus??

I believe I will be good with what I have purchased but still would like some reassurance.

Tom
Old 07-27-2019, 11:04 AM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Any more experienced answers to my "I know" redundant questions here.

I just want to be sure I am installing parts that I will not regret later because they were not cheap.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:07 PM
donnyt
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ttboyvette
Thank you my friend, I actually did go ahead and purchase a set of 1 7/8 Kooks "jet hot" coated headers and high flow catted mid pipe. I can basically gaurentee I will never be over 600 rwhp with my car once supercharged. I keep getting a mixed bag of comments on plus and minus of jet hot coated headers. I don't care about the cost of it is there really any other negative?? I like the fact they do help keep the heat down and they always look like new! as far as the high flow cats..... people say that I would blow them out??? some say wont be a problem..... if I 550-600 rwhp range would i really have this problem or is that for the higher hp range cars like 700 plus??

I believe I will be good with what I have purchased but still would like some reassurance.

Tom
I have catted mids on my car that is supercharged. 630whp and no issues so far
Old 07-27-2019, 06:42 PM
LOURDESBELLE
Pro

Received 379 Likes on 216 Posts

As mentioned, I installed a V3Si Trim on my 2013 GS. Of course my next mod was going to be headers and x pipe after the the blower. Well, after the install of the blower and dyno tuning, it easily made 600rwhp. And that’s with the stock exhaust. Yes, I will install the headers some time,but not anytime soon. I’m more than happy with the power right now.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:45 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by donnyt
I have catted mids on my car that is supercharged. 630whp and no issues so far
Great to hear!! Thank you!

Keep the feedback coming

Get notified of new replies

To Headers and Supercharger question

Old 07-30-2019, 09:25 PM
ttboyvette
Burning Brakes

Ttt
Old 07-31-2019, 02:06 AM
WestCyril
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Like others mentioned headers and V8s go together like baseball and apple pie. If you want a slight increase in performance and sound z06 stuff is a great option.
Or go with any reputable brand 1 7/8 setup and you won't be disappointed will put a smile on your face every time you floor it.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:28 AM
SquareHead
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bstock
I basically went the route you are asking about. I have a 2013 GS M6 and I first did kooks headers, catless xpipe, and tune. I ended up at 418whp after that first round of mods. I just got my car back from having an A&A supercharger along with meth injection. It put down 638whp and 565ft lbs of torque. I'm glad I did the headers and mid pipes first it was a nice bump in power and sound for a couple years. Now the car is on a whole different level.
This sounds like a logical and practical way of attaining your goals...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers and Supercharger question