C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual v.s. Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 10:24 AM
cerino2000
Le Mans Master

Received 134 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
2006 C6 Automatic six speed manuamatic is supposedly a tenth of a second faster accelerating than the six speed manual that is driven by a professional driver.

Next months magazine tests should bear this out if its true.
Where did you hear this at? Many were saying a few months ago that the 6-spd auto was actually slower than the 4-spd auto w/315's by like 2 tenths which would make it slower than the 6-spd manual.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
2006 C6 Automatic six speed manuamatic is supposedly a tenth of a second faster accelerating than the six speed manual that is driven by a professional driver.

Next months magazine tests should bear this out if its true.
The hook graphs at GM Powertrain's website disagree. They show the A6 as 2% slower 0-60 and in the 1/4 than the A4 with 3.15 rear gearing. OTOH, gas mileage improves 2% with the A6 and its 2.56 rear gearing. Since CAFE is a federal mandate while acceleration and driving fun aren't, we can clearly see why GM is putting in the A6. It isn't to make the car quicker, it is to appease the feds so they can make more Z06s without getting hit with the gas guzzler tax surcharge for Corvettes.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:19 AM
WS6JJP
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

here is a pic of my quickest run when it was STOCK (except for Corsa catback) I *doubt* that you could get that kind of 60 ft time (with stock tires) with an auto because you only have so much control of launch RPM.....i dunno, maybe you could but i know i was launching at a decent RPM and riding the clutch. Also note that the trap speed was slightly down too because of a headwind that day

no disrespect to the Auto guys, my last C5 was an auto and i loved it(after i installed the TransGo shift kit).....i just like the 6 spd better

Old 07-07-2005, 01:06 PM
patrickboyle
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

On the street & in the 1/4 A4 wins most of the time. Been there done that..race track proves it.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,277 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by SickRick
Then again, it's funny that when you look for a car (dealer inventory on the Chevrolet site), there's a TON of auto's available - compared to not that many MN6's.

I had a difficult time trying to find my first color (arctic white) in a 6sp/Z51, and ended up with blk/blk.

So does that mean that most buyers are "snapping up" the 6spd's, and leaving the A4's?

Rick
GM will build more automatic C6s than 6-spds for some reason. Figures don't lie. It's quite possible that they just built more 6-spds early than they did autos. Wait and see what the total numbers are for the year in a couple of more months after 2005s are no longer made.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:24 PM
WS6JJP
Racer

Originally Posted by patrickboyle
On the street & in the 1/4 A4 wins most of the time. Been there done that..race track proves it.

how do you figure that??? show me one timeslip thats better than the one i showed. Not to mention the A4's arent exactly "rockets" off the line. If you cant at least keep up with an auto when driving a 6 spd on the street you probably dont know how to drive a stick too well, or at least to its full, or close to its full potential. Mathematically, or any other way for that matter, theres no denying that a "better" gear ratio (or more of them i.e. 6 spd vs. 4 spd.) is going to help out acceleration, especially at our power level.....meaning that once you go too far you have to take wheel spin into account.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
TommyV
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '16

Originally Posted by shopdog
The hook graphs at GM Powertrain's website disagree. They show the A6 as 2% slower 0-60
That graph was for the A6 in the Caddy. Assuming that the C6 will get the same gearing,(it may not) 2% slower means less than one tenth of a second, i.e. if the A4 does a 4.5 0-60, the A6 would do a 4.59. I'm not worried about it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:35 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Default Seating positioning is crucial but even more in a manual ....

With the automatic you can get away with more as far as seat positions because you are only using one foot not two ...
Old 07-07-2005, 11:50 PM
CV62
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by LS WON
With the automatic you can get away with more as far as seat positions because you are only using one foot not two ...

Also more convienient for drivers missing a right arm and one leg!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jharshaw

Also more convienient for drivers missing a right arm and one leg!

Especially for those that have physical disabilities or bad backs.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:45 AM
ricatthebeach
Drifting

Originally Posted by SilverCoupe
Then I guess 21,453 of the 34,064 2004 Corvettes are just not right, because they didn't have a stick.
That's correct
Old 07-08-2005, 06:49 AM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by WS6JJP
how do you figure that??? show me one timeslip thats better than the one i showed. Not to mention the A4's arent exactly "rockets" off the line. If you cant at least keep up with an auto when driving a 6 spd on the street you probably dont know how to drive a stick too well, or at least to its full, or close to its full potential. Mathematically, or any other way for that matter, theres no denying that a "better" gear ratio (or more of them i.e. 6 spd vs. 4 spd.) is going to help out acceleration, especially at our power level.....meaning that once you go too far you have to take wheel spin into account.
I would agree that nobody will show a a better timeslip with an a4---the best we have in stock form is 12.7. However I would be curious as to what some of your other times were. The a4 is slow out of the hole but it comes out consistently without wheelspin and then accelerates rapidly and consistently thus providing 12.7's all day. It does seem that the mn6 because of wheelspin and driver ability is capable of a 12.4 as your run proves and then equally capable of 13.0's or worse in the hands of drivers who aren't as skilled or who encounter launch problems.

No sane person could agrue that the a4 is quicker the the mn6 but the driver of the mn6 must be PERFECT to beat the a4. What were the worst times you mn6 guys had while experimenting ?

I would suspect that the a4 will more than win its fair share because of it's consistency and the fact that the mn6 truely requires driver's fineese.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:41 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
No sane person could agrue that the a4 is quicker the the mn6 but the driver of the mn6 must be PERFECT to beat the a4. What were the worst times you mn6 guys had while experimenting ?

I would suspect that the a4 will more than win its fair share because of it's consistency and the fact that the mn6 truely requires driver's fineese.
You only have to look at the higher classes in drag racing to see that the auto is the preferred transmission. No one who wins consistently in Super Stock, Pro Stock, Top Fuel, or Funny Car runs a manual transmission. They all use some form of automatic or manumatic. In the higher classes, they often run a two speed auto too. Every shift costs you time.

Of course these guys use modified automatics. They run high stall converters and shift kits. Everyone wants to talk about engine mods, but a properly setup transmission is key to winning drag races.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:20 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by shopdog
You only have to look at the higher classes in drag racing to see that the auto is the preferred transmission. No one who wins consistently in Super Stock, Pro Stock, Top Fuel, or Funny Car runs a manual transmission. They all use some form of automatic or manumatic. In the higher classes, they often run a two speed auto too. Every shift costs you time.

Of course these guys use modified automatics. They run high stall converters and shift kits. Everyone wants to talk about engine mods, but a properly setup transmission is key to winning drag races.
When I first started reading this, I was going to "jump on you". But then you did clarify that you are talking about highly modified transmissions and purpose built cars.

I agree that an automatic is going to be more consistent, and will beat many six speed cars in the hands of mediocre drivers (especially from a dead stop). But a six speed car is faster than an A4 car - that is a fact.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:43 AM
WS6JJP
Racer

Originally Posted by SHOOTER 49
I would agree that nobody will show a a better timeslip with an a4---the best we have in stock form is 12.7. However I would be curious as to what some of your other times were. The a4 is slow out of the hole but it comes out consistently without wheelspin and then accelerates rapidly and consistently thus providing 12.7's all day. It does seem that the mn6 because of wheelspin and driver ability is capable of a 12.4 as your run proves and then equally capable of 13.0's or worse in the hands of drivers who aren't as skilled or who encounter launch problems.

you're right shooter 49, the A4 will be more consistant than the 6 spd. I was just basically saying that the quickest times will be from the 6 spd but like you were saying you probably wont get those times every run. I dont have all the time slips in front of me but from what i can remember the slowest time i had was around 12.7 - 12.8 and those only happend when i missed a gear or had a really really bad launch (2.0 60ft or above)
here is a pic of another run against an 01-02 supercharged (Vortech) mustang. On this run i only managed a 1.93 (vs 1.83 for the other run) but still got a 12.43 et....trap speed was a little higher too

Old 07-08-2005, 11:01 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Originally Posted by jschindler
When I first started reading this, I was going to "jump on you". But then you did clarify that you are talking about highly modified transmissions and purpose built cars.

I agree that an automatic is going to be more consistent, and will beat many six speed cars in the hands of mediocre drivers (especially from a dead stop). But a six speed car is faster than an A4 car - that is a fact.
Pure stock, perfect drivers, I'd agree, about 2% to 4% faster. But with some fairly inexpensive tranny mods, the A4 can be a drag champion, and has been over the years in a number of different GM cars.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:42 PM
Curtis A. Franz
Drifting

Originally Posted by 9T4Z
All indications are that it (the A6) will be marginally lower geared in first, and a little higher in 6th. Reliability will have to be determined.

As for comparing to MN6... the A4's in most 05 C6 Vettes will be running reliably long after you have had the expense of a new clutch.

Gary
What is marginal about the first gear difference? The A4 is 3.15 x 3.06 = 9.64 (torque multiplier). The A6 is 2.56 x 4.03 = 10.32 (torque multiplier). The A6 in first gear is 7% lower than the A4 using the G90 option axle ratio!

Get notified of new replies

To Manual v.s. Automatic

Old 07-08-2005, 02:32 PM
SHOOTER 49
Melting Slicks

WS6JJP I complement you on your times and ability handle the mn6. I have had 2 MN6'S --one in a 97 LT1 and the other in an 01 LS1. I had manuals off and on from 3 on the trees through 4, 5 and 6 speeds. I can really drive a manual well except in the heat of the moment---that is to say when it mattered the most---I usually would not get a good launch --call it nerves or left leg jimmies---but I would foul up somehow and be playing catch-up. Once rolling I love them ,but I could never get the car launched until the automatic was out and rolling. In fact I used to prefer racing against other manuals when I had one at the strip--even playing field.

For me to get a 12.4 the car would have to be capable of 12 flat as I would waste time getting her rolling. Good driving buddy.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:01 PM
cbrf4i1
Drifting

Originally Posted by WS6JJP
I couldn’t agree with you more…no matter what someone does to modify an a4 there is no denying the fact that m6 will have a better mathematically gear ratio (staying in the engine power band better) than a4 ….and IF THE DRIVER OF M6 HAS THE FITNESS / SKILL TO take advantage of that there is no a4 stock to stock can kept up with the m6, period.

Last edited by cbrf4i1; 07-09-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:25 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the past few years, the majority of vettes have been auto, but the c6 has brought out alot of the true enthusiasts which prefer a standard. also, i think the age group of people buying new vettes is getting younger and we prefer a manual at this point in our life. i think these are the 2 main reasons that there are more manuals than automatics produced in 2005

Quick Reply: Manual v.s. Automatic