C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

predator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:52 AM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

Default predator problem?

Need a predator expert to help me out. As you know the predator is out for the 05 vette but not the a6 06 model. However the 2005 (u7191) model is now applicable for the 2006 ss monte carlo with the v8 engine.(daily driver) I ordered and installed the custome diablo tune and while immediately noticed better acceleration, at 40 mph while cruising the engine strted to 'lunge" forward as if it was trying to shift or change gears. I put back the stock tune and it ran normal. The only thing I noticed after re-reading instructions was to keep doors closed during tune. I had left the drivers door open but the tune did go thru. Any ideas why it reacted in this strange manner? I find it weird that the u7191 model would work for both the corvette and v8 monte engine but they say it does.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:11 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Default diablo

ok,I'd like to know this too since I just bought one!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:24 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Ted P
Need a predator expert to help me out. As you know the predator is out for the 05 vette but not the a6 06 model. However the 2005 (u7191) model is now applicable for the 2006 ss monte carlo with the v8 engine.(daily driver) I ordered and installed the custome diablo tune and while immediately noticed better acceleration, at 40 mph while cruising the engine strted to 'lunge" forward as if it was trying to shift or change gears. I put back the stock tune and it ran normal. The only thing I noticed after re-reading instructions was to keep doors closed during tune. I had left the drivers door open but the tune did go thru. Any ideas why it reacted in this strange manner? I find it weird that the u7191 model would work for both the corvette and v8 monte engine but they say it does.
Ted

I responded in an email to you, but it essentially said that I all I can think of is that the remapped shift point may be right at that 40mph cruise speed. Also the Performance Tune probably firmed up the shifts as well.

When working with the Predator on the C6, they tell you to remove the radio and OnStar fuses. They don't want anything else trying to transmit on the communication bus while the Predator is talking to the PCM while you're loading a tune file. They also tell you to make sure no high load electrical items (lights, etc.) are activated during a tune load. I don't know what the door being open or closed would have to do with anything.

You can go into the "Modify Tune" menu and view what is set without necessarily modifying anything. Take a look at where they have the shift points set up. You can view things without changing anything at all, and there is also a "reset all parameters" if you have changed something but want to put it back to what Diablo had set.

I don't have an automatic transmission and have never worked with one, but I wouldn't hesitate to change something like speed where a shift takes place or to reduce the firmness of the shifting. You aren't likely to hurt anything in the transmission like you might hurt the engine if you mess with engine parameters (fuel trims, PE, timing, etc.) if you don't what you're doing.

That's the beauty of any tuning software/equipment - you can make it how you want it!

So, I don't think the door open created a problem. I think at 40mph you're just right on a remapped shift point and with the increased shift firmness the car was doing that "lunging" as it shifted back and forth between gears.

Good luck with it!!

Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 11:03 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default diablo

So,when I get mine and hook it up to my car,I just download what predator put in there and it should be fine,right??
Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jesse12804
So,when I get mine and hook it up to my car,I just download what predator put in there and it should be fine,right??
Yep!

In addition to maintaining the stock OE tune in the Predator, it has 2 other tunes in it that you can install. So effectively the Predator comes with 3 tunes in it (although it can store up to 5 "Custom Tunes" as well):

The "Stock Tune" (Original Backup) - the OE factory tune, which you can reinstall at any time, such as for a visit to the dealer, or if you sell the Predator you must reinstall the factory tune in your car so the Predator will work with a different car.

A tune called "Factory HP" - which I think is like the "Stock Tune" except that you can modify it all you want and still have the other "Stock Tune" always available to put back in the car. This tune may also have some Diablo tweaking done to it. I think that in one version of the .crom file (the software/firmware operating system of the Predator) that the "Factory HP Tune" was doing some weird stuff with the cooling fans coming on - i.e., on all the time).

The "Diablo Performance Tune" - this is a generic high performance tune for a stock or lightly modded car that perks it up with some timing and fuel table adjustments that Diablo has made. You need to run 93 octane fuel when you put this tune in (unlike the stock tune, where the PCM will adjust to lower octanes).

As mentioned above, you can get a "Custom Tune" from a tuner that is able to work with the Predator. They can set up the tune for your specific mods, and either send it to you as a file you can upload to your Predator and then install in your car, or they can do dyno tuning with your car.

BTW, I just looked on the diablosport.com website and on 08/09 they posted an updated .crom file: 7r99

Bob
Old 09-08-2006, 12:02 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default update

Yes,I looked on their site the other day.I just don't know which file i'm supposed to download for the update!!!There's aa few there,and I'm waiting for the predator to get here from the guy I bought it from.I'm no tuner,so I'm sticking with the easiest.least complicated way to tune the car.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Ted P
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 129 Likes on 83 Posts

you'll like the predator for your 05 vette as my buddy installed on and it's great. I spoke with tech at Diablo and for the ss monte they had this problem (lunging) in testing. They are taking it back as it looks like they should not have released it yet. As for the a6 corvette the tech told me any week now it will be released. I hope they don't release this one prematurely
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

you'll like the predator for your 05 vette as my buddy installed on and it's great. I spoke with tech at Diablo and for the ss monte they had this problem (lunging) in testing. They are taking it back as it looks like they should not have released it yet. As for the a6 corvette the tech told me any week now it will be released. I hope they don't release this one prematurely
THANKS!
Old 09-16-2006, 06:21 PM
C6 Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Issue

I bought one of these and it came with the wrong software. They were quick to tell me how to get the correct download but there was a small issue. It didn't come with the charger, which is a very odd (low)Voltage/amp combo. I couldn't find one anywhere, AND I have probably 20 of the damn things from my days at HP--calculators, cell phones, radios, etc.

I even went to Radio Shack which has never failed me before. They didn't have one! I sent it back to get the right download, hoping to find one of these for my own.

SO, if anyone knows where you can buy one of these little jems, let me know. I am sure I will want to load a software change sometime over the life of this product and my C6 Corvette.

JC
Old 09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6 Vette
I bought one of these and it came with the wrong software. They were quick to tell me how to get the correct download but there was a small issue. It didn't come with the charger, which is a very odd (low)Voltage/amp combo. I couldn't find one anywhere, AND I have probably 20 of the damn things from my days at HP--calculators, cell phones, radios, etc.

I even went to Radio Shack which has never failed me before. They didn't have one! I sent it back to get the right download, hoping to find one of these for my own.

SO, if anyone knows where you can buy one of these little jems, let me know. I am sure I will want to load a software change sometime over the life of this product and my C6 Corvette.

JC
Do you have a laptop?

If you do, then you don't need a power supply to power up the Predator - you can power it up by plugging the OBD connector from the Predator into the OBD port on your car and turning on the ignition.

If you have laptop, you can download the new .crom file or a custom tune into your laptop, then take it out to the car along with your Predator. To hook the Predator up to your laptop you either need an old laptop that has a serial connector and a serial cable, or you need a USB/serial cable (Wal-Mart $25). The Predator has a 9-pin serial connector on the bottom and your laptop probably only has USB ports.

Once your Predator is hooked up to your laptop, plug it in to the OBD port and you can power it up and transfer files from your laptop to the Predator.

If you don't have a laptop and have to power up your Predator in the house next to your desktop, then you will need a power supply to power up the Predator. Here's the specs from the DiabloSport website:
CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER
OUTPUT : 12VDC 1000mA (1 Amp)
(Radio Shack Part # 273-1776)
Note: Plug Tip is 2.5mm x 5.5mm, female, and center is positive.
(Radio Shack Part # 273-1717)
Bob
Old 09-20-2006, 09:44 PM
thejerseydevil
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Does this tuner really make a difference? I am looking into getting one but only if I can get a performance change I can feel. I only run 93 octane gas now so that's not an issue.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:26 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The computer used in the Corvette is different. Diablo tells me every month when I call them that it will be avalable in the "next month or so".

The 06 Corvette has the same computer as the 07 GM SUVs that were just released. The info I show says that all GM cars will change to this new computer as they update the platforms.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:55 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default diablo

I just got the diablo and installed it on my 05.I also noticed an immediate difference.Nothing earth shattering,but ok for the bargain price I got from another member.What I had to do was download the newest version from predator to make my 7r92 diablo a 7r99,which is the latest program for the u7191.Car runs fine,only issue was , I thought i was hearing the fans come on right away after the initial program,but that's not the case anymore since the new download.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:38 PM
lilpuu1
Instructor

Default I purchased a Diablo too with problems

I purchased a predator and when I tried to install it in my C6 it said "Could not find part number"

I called my dealer re: lastest updates on the PCM and they told me I was updated. Even Diablo techs could not figure what was wrong.

I want something to pep the car up but nothing else I could do without voiding the warranty.
I also heard that there was a blower you can install without voiding the warranty. Anyone heard of that?

I hate sending things back ,Why can't they just work without aproblems...

Any suggestions where I could purchase another Predator,I live in Ca. where the laws suck.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lilpuu1
I purchased a predator and when I tried to install it in my C6 it said "Could not find part number"......

.....I called my dealer re: lastest updates on the PCM and they told me I was updated. Even Diablo techs could not figure what was wrong.....
What year is your car? I'm assuming it's a 2005 - if not, there's your problem right there.

Did you get the Predator new? Or was it bought from somebody who had already used it a different car? (and didn't put the "stock tune" back into their car before they sold you the Predator)

What version of .crom file is in the Predator? (when you power it up it should display something like "Predator v.7r93") Or, maybe you're not even getting it to boot that far.

Was your PCM ever tuned before using some other tuning software? Did you buy the car new? If not, no telling what kind of tune might have been in the PCM, which might have "locked" it.

Bob
Old 09-23-2006, 09:10 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default Profile

I looked at your profile,it says you have an 06.No predator for 06's yet.There's your issue.Although,and BOB would know more than me,you may be able to download the new program when it comes out from predator.I did that with the one I bought,and the unit upgraded from 7r92 to 7r99,the latest.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 AM
lilpuu1
Instructor

Bob, I have an 05. It was bought new and the Predator was bought at an online auto parts website. I contacted the tech from Diablo and they told me the part number I had in the PCM was old and had to be updated. I took it to the dealer and they told me I was up to date.

So at this point I don't know who's lying. I'll try to order another one and see if I get the same problem.

ANyone know of a place to buy one? in Ca. Orange Co unty/

Get notified of new replies

To predator problem?

Old 09-23-2006, 11:28 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Default diablo

there was a guy in the parts section selling one for 250 the other day,or go to diablosport.com,or tbyrne or some vendor on here.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:32 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lilpuu1
Bob, I have an 05. It was bought new and the Predator was bought at an online auto parts website. I contacted the tech from Diablo and they told me the part number I had in the PCM was old and had to be updated. I took it to the dealer and they told me I was up to date.

So at this point I don't know who's lying. I'll try to order another one and see if I get the same problem.

ANyone know of a place to buy one? in Ca. Orange Co unty/
I doubt anybody is lying, rather they just don't know what they're talking about. And I'd trust Diablo to know more than the dealer.

The Predator is a tool like a screwdriver - it's possible to break a tool (or fry a Predator's circuits), but I'd bet your Predator is just not compatible with the GM software flashed into your PCM.

There are a couple of things that might be going on.

1. The local dealer doesn't know what flash is in your PCM, or doesn't know that there is a newer one that they can upgrade you to. If your PCM is an older flash load, and your Predator is set up for the newer PCM file, then the two aren't compatible.

2. If your PCM does have the most up to date software, then the Predator may be an older one from dealer inventory that has an older .crom file. That's the Predator's operating system (or at least the part that contains their latest "Factory HP Tune" and "Diablo Performance Tune"). In which case the two are not compatible either.

I suggest you power up the Predator and you will see what .crom file is loaded in it. If you try to power it up by plugging it in the OBD port of the car, and it never gets past the "Don't recognize part#" message, power it up with a 12v transformer power source plugged in to the receptacle on the top of the Predator - unless the Predator is definitely screwed up, it will power up and display the version of the file that is loaded, such as "v.7r99".

If it says v.7r93, then you got old stock from your Predator dealer's inventory (no big deal - just update it), and it isn't working with your car because you do have the latest flash to your PCM but old Predator software.

If it says v.7r99, then you have the latest version Predator, but I would bet that your PCM has the old software.

If your Predator just needs the latest file (7r99), just go to the Diablo site and download it to your computer and upload it to your Predator.

If you need an older file because your PCM has the older GM flash, I have several older file versions and can send them to you via attachments in an email so you can get a file into the Predator that will work with your PCM.

Let me know if you want them.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 09-23-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:34 PM
lilpuu1
Instructor

Default Predator

Damn Bob, You said a lot. It sounds like you know what you're talking about. I may have had the older version, so I'm going to purchase another one brand new and start from there.
My dealer said they will charge me $95. to flash my PCM to date. I don't know if my other dealer was lying or not but they told me I had all the recent updates.

At this point Bob, sending me your files would not matter yet but thanks for the suggestion.

Let me start again with another one.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: predator problem?