C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need a torque converter??

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:25 AM
3544S
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a torque converter??

Hello Folks,

I dropped my C6 (Auto) off last week at a local shop here in Utah, to have the following work done:

Procharger D1 SC with twin intercoolers
Stage 3 ported heads
Stage 1 cam, hardened push rods
Bassani Long tube headers with highflow cats
Torque converter

The Procharger hasn't arrived yet, so I had them start on all of the other stuff. I'm out of state right now, on business, and called the shop up today to see how things were progressing. They stated that everything should be done tommorow with the exception of the Procharger, as it has yet to arrive.

They also stated that they did not install a new torque converter (as originally planned), because the location is too far back in the tranny and would take much more labor than I was originally quoted to perform. They then stated that they would discount, what they were going to charge me for this item.

The shop also indicated that they had consulted with several people and determined that the C6 comes with, "a pretty good torque converter" and that I shouldnt have any problems with it in the future, thus there isnt any need to change it.

So here is my question... I'm not a mechanic and don't know a damn thing about torque converters. Are these guys screwing me around or is it pretty fair advice on their part???

Thanks in advance
Old 03-08-2007, 07:12 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

I think yes you'll need that.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Mr. Lucky
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

We really need more info to answer your question properly. First, terms like "Stage 1" and "Stage 3" are useless. They are only meaningful to the maufacturer (i.e., one company's stage 1 could be someone else's stage 3). Second, you don't mention whether you have an A4 or an A6 tranny.

In general, any cam worth installing is going to have some negative effect on low-end torque. If you have an A4, then I would say that you could benefit from a mild torque converter. A common situation that occurs with the 4 speed autos is that you will be driving in traffic and have a need to accelerate rapidly in 2nd gear. What often happens is that you will find yourself above the kick-down point for the tranny and above the lock-up rpm for the tc, but below the power band of the engine. As a result, you end up doing a slow, excruciating acceleration up from the bottom of 2nd. With a higher stall converter, you just put your foot into it, the rpms jump into your power band, and away you go. I don't know first hand, but suspect it would not be as much of an issue with an A6.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:55 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes I think you'll need (want) a higher stall torque converter for that set up, nothing too high like you'd need for a higher RPM naturally aspirated set up but something in the 2800 to 3500 stall range maybe.
I like the Precision Industries Vigilante converters.
This is all assuming that you have a 2005 of course.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:45 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i wouldnt let any shop work on it if they dont know were the converter is
Old 03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
3544S
Advanced

Thanks for the info guys. My car is a 2006 C6, automatic tranny w/paddle shift.

As far as the comment about the shop.. I didnt really have a choice out here in the boonies. This shop specializes in mustangs and doesn't do too many vettes. However, they are a reputable shop out here and do a lot of performance mods for the Ford dealerships out here and always have a waiting list.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
AintQik
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
i wouldnt let any shop work on it if they dont know were the converter is
LOL, it sounds like they technically advised themselves out of "too" much work. And, as far as the converter being too far back, they should check again. Problem is they need to remove the rear cradle, nah I'm not going to tell em how to do it.

Hey, one question how many teeth does the shop mgr have?

edit Oh well that explains things then. I'd say do the verter. Just wait till you find someone to help you or a shop that can do it. You will enjoy the snap.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Waveblaster785
Drifting

Originally Posted by 3544S

As far as the comment about the shop.. I didnt really have a choice out here in the boonies. This shop specializes in mustangs and doesn't do too many vettes. However, they are a reputable shop out here and do a lot of performance mods for the Ford dealerships out here and always have a waiting list.
There are not readily available converters for that transmission. So unless they know something the rest of us don't, you're not getting one anyways.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 3544S

i hope you dont have problems you need a chevy hp friendly shop at least not a ford shop. come on they dont know were the converter is. and they dont know no one makes an after market converter yet, and they probably cant tune it, they have no experience
Old 03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I can't imagine utilizing a shop/tuner that actually quoted for a torque converter install without even knowing that no one officially makes converters for that particular vehicle yet.

They might be excellent at tuning Fords but exactly what experience do they have with GM and C5/C6 tuning, not just the installs but the actual PCM/TCM dyno tuning of said vehicles?
Old 03-09-2007, 08:56 AM
3544S
Advanced

Yeah, I agree with all of you guys, but like I said, I didn't really have a many options in Utah and I was really excited about doing all of this stuff to my car.

Okay, screw it.. when these guys are done with the work, I'll go visit my mom in southern California and have a vette shop look at it. maybe they can figure out where the torque converter is and properly tune the car. Any suggestions of where I can take it? My mom lives in some place called Victorville, it's about an hour from Los Angeles.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need a torque converter??

Quick Reply: Do I need a torque converter??