C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OnStar removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:35 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 140 Posts

Ok, I located the OnStar VCIM module. I'm including this photo hoping it may help others in locating it. In my 08 it was in the right rear storage compartment in the trunk. I had to peel away the forward section of carpet to expose it.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

even if you don't subscribe and i dont subscribe to on star it will still send a signal if you are in a accident and the air bags go off and that COULD save your life some day so i think it is dumb to remove it. it is also a item you paid for in the price of the corvette so why not use it.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
even if you don't subscribe and i dont subscribe to on star it will still send a signal if you are in a accident and the air bags go off and that COULD save your life some day so i think it is dumb to remove it. it is also a item you paid for in the price of the corvette so why not use it.
Every time a self-reliant individual posts a question about how to remove a piece of corporate-sponsored monitoring/observance equipment, there pops up a poster who insists that we should all embrace the surveillance society because of the perceived beneficial aspects.

It may be hard to wrap your mind around this, but we can remove the survelliance system from our autos, and you can leave it in, and these actions are mutally exclusive.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:49 PM
garytucker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveC6
Old 04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by fnbrowning
Every time a self-reliant individual posts a question about how to remove a piece of corporate-sponsored monitoring/observance equipment, there pops up a poster who insists that we should all embrace the surveillance society because of the perceived beneficial aspects.

It may be hard to wrap your mind around this, but we can remove the survelliance system from our autos, and you can leave it in, and these actions are mutally exclusive.
as a self relelant individual i would guess that if your house was on fire you would not call the fire department and fight the fire yourself. good luck
Old 04-02-2010, 02:39 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

as a self relelant individual i would guess that if your house was on fire you would not call the fire department and fight the fire yourself. good luck

A totally idiotic and non-relevant analogy.

Milquetoast like yourself, and the other fool that posted the license plate above can find all kinds of excuses for surveillance. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy for sure to have a nanny watch over you.

I'm sure you're just quick to write off the excesses like the Philadelphia-area school district that remotely activated cameras on school-owned laptops and watched students (including female students) their homes.

If I guy wants to disable the surveillance equipment installed in his personal vehicle, it's his decision, as it's your decision to keep yours operating.

The perplexing thing about you and your conformist friends is how quick you are to ridicule and rip people that are seeking to increase their privacy.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

A totally idiotic and non-relevant analogy.

Milquetoast like yourself, and the other fool that posted the license plate above can find all kinds of excuses for surveillance. Makes you feel warm and fuzzy for sure to have a nanny watch over you.

I'm sure you're just quick to write off the excesses like the Philadelphia-area school district that remotely activated cameras on school-owned laptops and watched students (including female students) their homes.

If I guy wants to disable the surveillance equipment installed in his personal vehicle, it's his decision, as it's your decision to keep yours operating.

The perplexing thing about you and your conformist friends is how quick you are to ridicule and rip people that are seeking to increase their privacy.
i then assume you work for yourself and do not pay any taxes if you think you are self reliant and operate in total privacy because if not your employer and the govt are watching you. BE CAREFUL
Old 04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
fnbrowning
Burning Brakes

i then assume you work for yourself and do not pay any taxes if you think you are self reliant and operate in total privacy because if not your employer and the govt are watching you. BE CAREFUL

Another totally idiotic and non-relevant analogy.

Not to flame you as a person, with respect, you are having trouble assimilating the definition of a surveillance society, aren't you?

Do you do much reading? No? Time to start. Try looking up "surveillance society" on Google.
You'll find the U.S. Surveillance Society is running rampant, with the tact consent of you and your friends.

Then look up the web definition of "sheeple" Sorry about that one, but if the shoe fits. . . . .

Old 04-02-2010, 03:58 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Another totally idiotic and non-relevant analogy.

Not to flame you as a person, with respect, you are having trouble assimilating the definition of a surveillance society, aren't you?

Do you do much reading? No? Time to start. Try looking up "surveillance society" on Google.
You'll find the U.S. Surveillance Society is running rampant, with the tact consent of you and your friends.

Then look up the web definition of "sheeple" Sorry about that one, but if the shoe fits. . . . .

you have too much time on your hands to worry about this when the country is going to hell in a hand basket they are trying to take away things that are important to americans and you are worried about someone might catch you speeding or find your car parked in front of a whorehouse using the on star. worry more about the attorney general trying to do away with the second amendment. he claims that it has nothing to do with individuals owning a fire arm. as far as the surveillance cameras they just help catch 2 perps who shot a city fireman to death just for the fun of it here in pittsburgh

Last edited by PAmotorman; 04-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

I'm disconnecting the OnStar so I can hook up a BlueStar Bluetooth module in it's place that will allow me to make calls on my cell phone and not have to pay a fee for minutes. I really don't have a use for OnStar, but I do have a use for BlueTooth to my cell phone.

I used the new CoStar Bluestar unit today, and it works great, and uses the OnStar buttons to place calls, and I can do voice dialing just like with OnStar, except I don't have to pay for more airtime minutes. How "dumb" is that?

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-02-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
kermitbuns
Advanced

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Wow, I didn't know it was so tied in like that, I really don't want On Star (or XM Radio) at all so this will continue to be a small dilemma for me and any future new Corvettes I might be considering.

Did you weigh it at all, it looks like it could be a couple of pounds or so but maybe not.
NOt sure why it's so critical. Just DON'T USE IT if you don't want to... why does it have to be REMOVED?

Hiding from the Man? Don't want GPS to prove you were at her house huh?? lol j/k.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:06 AM
kermitbuns
Advanced

Originally Posted by lilsteve
Not the case in 09 and 10 corvettes the box is located in dash. Any ideas where? Also does the onstar box record miles on it ?
Planning on tampering with the odo?
Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I'm disconnecting the OnStar so I can hook up a BlueStar Bluetooth module in it's place that will allow me to make calls on my cell phone and not have to pay a fee for minutes. I really don't have a use for OnStar, but I do have a use for BlueTooth to my cell phone.

I used the new CoStar Bluestar unit today, and it works great, and uses the OnStar buttons to place calls, and I can do voice dialing just like with OnStar, except I don't have to pay for more airtime minutes. How "dumb" is that?
your phone has to have voice dialing to work so what is the advandage over just using the phone?
Old 04-03-2010, 09:52 AM
CSixDude
Drifting

your phone has to have voice dialing to work so what is the advandage over just using the phone?
My phone does have voice dialing. The advantage is that it is all HANDS FREE. I get in the car, push the left OnStar button, my radio mutes, and my phone comes on over the radio and asks me "Please say a command". I say "Call Home". My phone replies "Dialing" over the radio speakers. The call connects and I speak just in a normal voice. The built in mic for the OnStar picks up my voice and sends it BlueTooth (through the new CoStar Bluestar unit) to my phone. It all works flawlessly. I even made a call with the top down at 60mph and the person on the other end could still hear me, though I did have to speak a little louder. When I hang up or the other party disconnects, the radio returns back to it's previous station and setting and the music comes back on.

Same thing when someone calls me. The radio mutes, I hear two ring tones, the phone then auto-answers the call after the second ring (if I have it set to do that), and I can take the call without ever taking my hands off the wheel.

And the best part is that I don't have to pay OnStar a monthly fee since it uses my cell phone minutes.

Last edited by CSixDude; 04-03-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Orian
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dbl6gun
Your welcome!

*** UPDATE INFORMATION ***

Looks like J4 can be unplugged!

After pulling up the rear carpet .... the J4 connector just needs the comm wires jumpered together as shown in the picture below. This seems to be a good technique because the factory wires are not cut. You can reverse this process by cutting (removing) the jumpers and plugging the connector back in.

Now the OnStar box can remain in the attic until you decide you want it back in the car or to sell the car. With this jumper method, the car will run quite nicely with the jumpers in place of the box!

IF anyone decides to do this.....

Disconnect the Battery.

Example: 2007 VCIM Connector C4

Pin-Color--Circuit--Functions
2---TN/BK--2500----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (+)
3---TN-----2501----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (-)
8---TN/BK--2500----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (+)
9---TN-----2501----High Speed GMLAN Serial Data (-)

The GMLAN loops through the VCIM on these 4 pins.

About 1" behind the connector cut the TN/BK (Tan with Black Tracer) wire going to pin 8. About 1" behind pin 2 remove about 1/2" of insulation from the TN/BK wire going to pin 2 (DO NOT CUT THE WIRE). Strip about 1/2" of insulation from the wire in the harness that was cut from pin 8. Connect the wire just stripped to the wire from pin 2 where the insulation was removed. Solder the connection and wrap the connection with electrical tape. You might also want to put a small piece of heat shrink tubing on the wire coming from pin 8 in the connector so it cannot short to anything.

About 1" behind the connector cut the TN (Tan) wire going to pin 9. About 1" behind pin 3 remove about 1/2" of insulation from the TN wire going to pin 3 (DO NOT CUT THE WIRE). Strip about 1/2" of insulation from the wire in the harness that was cut from pin 9. Connect the wire just stripped to the wire from pin 3 where the insulation was removed. Solder the connection and wrap the connection with electrical tape. You might also want to put a small piece of heat shrink tubing on the wire coming from pin 9 in the connector so it cannot short to anything.

Remove the VCIM, wrap the loose connectors in foam so they do not rattle and reconnect the battery.

If you do it as suggested above, you can reinstall the VCIM at a later date and it will once again function.
Is this the same procedure for jumping J4 on the Z06? Just want to be clear, thanks!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:39 AM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

just out of curiosity, do you cover your mouth when speaking?
Old 06-14-2010, 01:55 PM
ninjavette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kermitbuns
NOt sure why it's so critical. Just DON'T USE IT if you don't want to... why does it have to be REMOVED?

Hiding from the Man? Don't want GPS to prove you were at her house huh?? lol j/k.
In LS1/LT1's case, I believe it's more of a weight saving concern as opposed to hiding from Da' Man.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:12 PM
djust
Instructor

Big Brother is watching.

All the time.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Bedouin
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Disabling or removing OnStar

Just an update for anyone looking to disable or remove Onstar;

The '12 grandsport 1LT now has a power passenger seat(no room under it now for the VCIM), & the battery is in the trunk. This means the only location for the VCIM box to fit is in the passenger footwell, just above the fuse panel. I pulled the Onstar fuse first.

Mine has only 3 plugin/connectors however. I unplugged what looked like(previous pictures) J1 & J2, & left the Black 12-way female 100A micro-pack series connector, w/ four small wires going to it. Two Tan, 2 Tan w/ BLK stripe. Car starts up fine, no error messages etc.

I then removed the onstar antenna/black box easily by sliding it to the right & off it's bracket. I then un-stuck the bracket with gentle force & it popped right off.

Lastly I pulled approx. 6" of antenna wire out from above the headliner until the connector appeared, & then disconnected it & stuffed the connector end back in the headliner. It only took about 15 minutes as I was being very careful.

Last edited by Bedouin; 03-28-2012 at 04:17 PM.

Quick Reply: OnStar removal