C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

From another thread. This guy "gets it" too:

Originally Posted by dbradley

Along with my C6 I have a '33 with 350 and Flowmasters and just sold a SS396 Chevelle. I have a GHL system on my C6 and in no way does it sound like either of the others. I don't know if its the 'location' of the C6 system at the rear vs mid chassis on the others or what. The Corvette just sounds "european" for the lack of a better word. I think its just the difference in valve timing and all the computer gizmos. You just don't get that THUMP. Even the 'cammed' cars don't sound 'old school'. The engine is just 'cleaned up' compared to the older cars that are sorta ragged except at WOT. Friends and neighbors like how the GHL sounds and so do I, its just not the same.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:54 PM
crabman
Safety Car

Received 79 Likes on 33 Posts

Headers help. For many of us they were part of the V8 sound in our youth and when you add them you definitely notice an improvement in sound. I agree with others though, its still not the same. I say this having heard every major brand of cans sold, cammed, headers, various combinations of those things. Just aint the same. I like the sound of the vette but then I pretty much like the sound of most any engine.

Last edited by crabman; 02-21-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
fright88
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know where you are coming from. My buddies GTO sounded much better stock then my car did.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:20 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

We're not talking about stock, lol.

Stock the corvette is a joke.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Unfortunately, the firing order of the LSx engines makes them sound like an old truck with loud mufflers. Thus GM mutes them with mufflers.

Tom
Old 02-21-2008, 04:41 PM
fright88
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
We're not talking about stock, lol.

Stock the corvette is a joke.

Hmm I have to agree with you. My old Mustand sounded much better then my current Vette. But I have come to realy like my setup. I also like the NPP exhaust
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Today I saw a new Pontiac GXP V-8. That's the 5.3 liter, LSsomething engine.

It was idleing at a curb. It sounds way WAY better than any C6 'Vette I've ever heard. This annoys me. Why is the 'Vette the application in which a Gen III V-8 Sounds the worst??

I need to start fabricating to solve this mystery.

-Tom
You haven't heard my C6. Of course the Corsa Sport exhaust, LG Pro long tube headers and the built Lingenfelter 403 engine help just a bit.

I agree, the stock C6 sounds limp (and even the Z06 is lacking IMO). The NPP exhaust option is a slight improvement but it still isn't 'there.' You have to do some work to get the C6 to sound like it should.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by TCW
Unfortunately, the firing order of the LSx engines makes them sound like an old truck with loud mufflers. Thus GM mutes them with mufflers.

Tom
That reasoning may fly...except that the LSx engines in trucks, FWD Grand Prix GXP and Mote Carlo SS, and ESPECIALLY the LS2 GTO...all sound great.

The LS2 in the GTO even has the same exhaust manifolds and dual exhaust. But sounds way, WAY better.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 283 Posts

The only reason I have been able to come up with is that GM must think that many people who buy a $45,000+ car want it to be QUIET.

Based on what I've read on this forum, there are many who do like their car quiet, even though the Vette is a sports car.

For those who want their car LOUD, everyone has their own specific tastes.

No matter what GM does with the Vette exhaust, there will always be people that won't like the way it sounds.

So, GM is obviously betting that most people will buy with an aftermarket exhaust anyway.

Now we get to read the millions of threads just like this one.

Save yourself the agony......just buy Borla Stingers.

Last edited by car2fast4you; 02-21-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by Wayne O
You haven't heard my C6. Of course the Corsa Sport exhaust, LG Pro long tube headers and the built Lingenfelter 403 engine help just a bit.

I agree, the stock C6 sounds limp (and even the Z06 is lacking IMO). The NPP exhaust option is a slight improvement but it still isn't 'there.' You have to do some work to get the C6 to sound like it should.
I've heard MANY a Youtube clip of C6's w/headers, cams, heads, cubes, etc. Most sound better than stock (much), but still, the character and quality don't change.

I have two theories, one of which I'm going to implement myself this summer.
Theory one: I have hypothisized that you can "band-aid" the sound by basically making a large "single pipe" or chamber in place of the H-pipe, that would allow time/space for the sounds to blend and mellow. Way more so than any H or X pipe would allow.

Theory number two: The ignition timing at idle especially, and also at low rpm/low load is far mroe retarded than w/classic (gen I) SBC. I hypothisize that this because the lower friction of the Gen III vs. the Gen I would/could require more retarded timing to "simulate" some load at idle, which lower emissions.

Now, If you take a Gen I SBC (with headers or not) and retard the ignition timing, while opening the throttle to maintain the same RPM, you eventually get a sound very similar to the current 'Vette exhaust:
Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa....instead of La-La-La-La-La-La-La-...

Now if you advance the timing, and close the throttle the sound smooths and mellows in to the small block sound we all love.

I've posted on the forum here if anyone has tried to advance ignition timing on the LS2 at idle, and no one replied. I'd VERY MUCH like to try this and see where the exhaust tone goes.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 02-21-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:39 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
Save yourself the agony......just buy Borla Stingers.
Because those won't change the character and quality of the sound. Just the volume.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've hear MANY a Youtube clip of C6's w/headers, cams, heads, cubes, etc. Most sound better than stock (much), but still, the character and quality don't change.

I have two theories, one of which I'm going to implement myself this summer.
Theory one: I have hypothisized that you can "band-aid" the sound by basically making a large "single pipe" or chamber in place of the H-pipe, that would allow time/space for the sounds to blend and mellow. Way more so than any H or X pipe would allow.

Theory number two: The ignition timing at idle especially, and also at low rpm/low load is far mroe retarded than w/classic (gen I) SBC. I hypothisize that this because the lower friction of the Gen III vs. the Gen I would/could require more retarded timing to "simulate" some load at idle, which lower emissions.

Now, If you take a Gen I SBC (with headers or not) and retard the ignition timing, while opening the throttle to maintain the same RPM, you eventually get a sound very similar to the current 'Vette exhaust:
Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa-Blaaaaa....instead of La-La-La-La-La-La-La-...

Now if you advance the timing, and close the throttle the sound smooths and mellows in to the small block sound we all love.

I've posted on the forum here if anyone has tried to advance ignition timing on the LS2 at idle, and no one replied. I'd VERY MUCH like to try this and see where the exhaust tone goes.

I like theory #2. I don't know if your right, but I see the logic and it sounds plausible.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Dbl6gun
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Because those won't change the character and quality of the sound. Just the volume.
I agree. Louder doesn't make it sound sweeter!

Case in point: A C2 equipped with a mark IV 427 bigblock and leg-pipes had a low, deep intoxicating sound!

I am not "against" a louder exhaust ...but making a cheesy exhaust note louder ...doesn't make it better.

...But ...at this time, that's all we have ...stock exhaust ~or~ making the exhaust note louder and changing the tone a little with an aftermarket set-up.

Last edited by Dbl6gun; 02-21-2008 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

I'm like the sound of my 08...To each his own I guess
Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Originally Posted by troller399
Old 02-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Braumeister
Instructor

Originally Posted by troller399
Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 PM
siffert
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Ok...I may have been a little harsh earlier saying they sound like ***, lol.

But they certainly dont ever sound like I would like them to sound...deep and agressive.

You can get loud...but you can't get the tonality.
I have Corsa Sports and Kooks headers. It sounds better than stock (and what wouldnt?) but it certainly is not what I call a "unique" muscular sound to the C6. It actually just sounds more European. Hey, maybe that's what GM had in mind all the time. After all, the car has some faint traces of the Euro Enzo.

Get notified of new replies

To Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...

Old 02-21-2008, 10:42 PM
C4forlife
Racer

Default Me thinks me gets it

Guess everyone is meaning a nice bass on wheels sans speakers like a C4 or C3. I would largely contribute the sound on the materials and basic shape the car is changing the exhaust pitch.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:50 AM
fenderowner
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, but no matter HOW it sounded, the guy still has a Pontiac. I bet I get more envious looks in 10 blocks than this guy gets in 10 days of driving his Pontiac. Ergo, I can LIVE with the lame sound!
Old 02-22-2008, 03:09 AM
805Z06
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is a reason why the exhaust is on the down low. They build the car to be light weight and have good performance numbers. That came at a cost of very little insulation. An aggressive exhaust would probably irritate a large portion of the owners, since it would be much louder in the cabin.

Quick Reply: Pissed. Exhaust sound thread...