C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 09:02 AM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
Does anyone who wants to upgrade want to trade their stock cover without switches for the actual controls and cover? I have a new wheel to swap on my 05, and it has the controls, which I don't want.

Even trade!
PM sent
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette pilot
Does anyone who wants to upgrade want to trade their stock cover without switches for the actual controls and cover? I have a new wheel to swap on my 05, and it has the controls, which I don't want.

Even trade!
What year wheel do you need?
Old 08-02-2009, 12:03 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 08 wheel, but I don't care what year it comes from as I am painting them. Deal is pending with GMautotech if the 08 will work for him though.
Old 01-22-2017, 11:30 AM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
I did the Steering Wheel Control (SWC) conversion on my 2006 3LT/BOSE/NAV.

I ordered and installed:
*2007 steering wheel w/radio controls
*2007 clockspring (for cars with radio controls)

The 2007 Clockspring has two ends. One set of end connectors connects under the steering wheel airbag, and the other clockspring end has a pair of connectors that connects to wiring on the bottom end of the steering column under the dash. There are two sets of plugs on each end of the clockspring... a set for the airbag and another plug for the SWC/Horn/ShiftPaddles (if your car is an automatic)

The airbag wiring to the new clockspring is straight-forward plug and play on both the steering wheel end and the column end. No mods needed.

The SWC/horn/paddleshift plug however is a different story. On the steering wheel end, the new plug just plugs in to the matching plug on the 2007 wheel -- couldn't be easier. BUT, on the under-steering-column end, its not so easy. The wires for the horn/paddleshift exist in the 2006 wiring, and while not plug and play (plugs are different) its easy enough to tap/splice the horn and paddleshift wires to the existing wiring. The problem is the 3 wires for the SWC: the SWC source wire, the SWC signal wire, and SWC illumination wires simply do not exist in the 2006 wiring loom, and must be fabricated.

I spliced the SWC illumination wire to the illumination wire connected to the HUD control switch on the LH dash pod. I extended the two SWC wires (source wire and signal wire) and ran them to the back of the radio. This is where we hit another issue: the two needed cavities for SWC's in the radio plug (A5 and A6, if I remember correctly), are EMPTY on 2006 cars, so we cant just splice into an existing wire. So now we have to find the correct terminals, solder them to the SWC extension wires and pop them into the radio connector.

Ok, finally got all that done, and the SWC buttons illuminate properly, but do NOT work to change stations, change tracks, nor control volume. Nothing works. Damn.

My theory is that, along with a 2007 steering wheel and a 2007 clockspring, you also need a 2007 or later BOSE (or uplevel enabled) radio to utilize the signal from the SWC.
1st off I apologize for digging up an old thread, but I just purchased a 2006 Z06 with Navi and Bose U65 and would like to add SWC, I just ordered a clockspring and steering wheel, I understand I will have to add the wires from the clockspring to the radio-no big deal, I've been digging and can't find answers if the '06 U65 radio will work with SWC's? I see there were a couple of guys with 06's that tried it, was there any success?
Old 01-22-2017, 01:44 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Hi ZEEEE 06,

No, to the best of my knowledge and experience the 2006 radios were not equipped with circuitry to 'listen' for the SWC signals. 2007 was when the SWC were introduced. I'm pretty sure you'll need a 2007 and up radio.
The following users liked this post:
ZEEEE 06 (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:00 PM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Hi ZEEEE 06,

No, to the best of my knowledge and experience the 2006 radios were not equipped with circuitry to 'listen' for the SWC signals. 2007 was when the SWC were introduced. I'm pretty sure you'll need a 2007 and up radio.
Thanks!!! that's what I was afraid of, guess I'll be looking for a 2011+ radio so I can also get the USB and AUX.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:19 PM
Dcasole
Le Mans Master

Received 2,245 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Kent , you crossed over to the dark side .....is that a C7 I see in your profile ?

Dave
Old 04-03-2017, 09:46 PM
Roadhog1956
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Help, I have 2008 and when I remove the steering wheel I have the seven plug adapter, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the base 2008 without Bose system. The wires at the clockspring is grey, blue, green, black. The wires from the steering is brown and black that goes to the horn. I will try to add the picture. I have already ran the wires from the radio terminal A6 and A7, but don't know which wires to connect them to.

2008 clock spring

2008 clockspring connected to steering wheel

Last edited by Roadhog1956; 04-03-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 04-04-2017, 04:36 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Roadhog1956
Help, I have 2008 and when I remove the steering wheel I have the seven plug adapter, does anyone have the wiring diagram for the base 2008 without Bose system. The wires at the clockspring is grey, blue, green, black. The wires from the steering is brown and black that goes to the horn. I will try to add the picture. I have already ran the wires from the radio terminal A6 and A7, but don't know which wires to connect them to.
I guess I'm still subscribed to this thread, lol. I take it you're trying to add steering wheel radio controls? Is that clockspring still original? Is your C6 a manual trans?
Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM
Roadhog1956
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GMautotech
I guess I'm still subscribed to this thread, lol. I take it you're trying to add steering wheel radio controls? Is that clockspring still original? Is your C6 a manual trans?

Yes, everything is original, C6, manual trans. The green don't connect to anything at the steering wheel area, and it is hot with the ign switch is turn on. Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Roadhog1956; 04-04-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:50 PM
ZEEEE 06
Instructor

Yes, everything is original, C6, manual trans. The green don't connect to anything at the steering wheel area, and it is hot with the ign switch is turn on. Thanks for the help!
i just did this a month ago, if your asking about the wiring in the column from the clock spring, the 3 wires you need to connect to the radio are purple-goes to illumination circuit( I jumped off of the heated seat illumination, brown-goes to A6 on radio-swc supply voltage, red/pink- goes to A7 on radio swc control line

Now if your asking about inside the wheel, you need a wiring harness that goes from the clock spring to the buttons

I'd be able to help more if need PM me
Old 04-04-2017, 08:26 PM
sea six
Burning Brakes

Ok guys I have a 06 with the steering wheel off an 08. My radio is an after market kenwood that has the ability for steering wheel control. So I need steering wheel switches , new bezel for switch , wireing harnes and clock spring? Did I miss anything? How about part numbers.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:18 PM
Roadhog1956
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sea six
Ok guys I have a 06 with the steering wheel off an 08. My radio is an after market kenwood that has the ability for steering wheel control. So I need steering wheel switches , new bezel for switch , wireing harnes and clock spring? Did I miss anything? How about part numbers.

I'm just starting the project, I ordered a new steering wheel with the switch already installed. I did see earlier where someone had posted the parts needed, tho. I hope my original clock spring will work in my 2008.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM
sea six
Burning Brakes

Ok please keep us updated.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:58 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

Without changing the clockspring your only choice is to use those 2 unused circuits, the green and black wires. Based on their location they were for the paddle shifters. But like I said before none of those wire colors match the schematics. Shouldn't matter since they aren't used anyway. Cut the green and black wires at the base of the column and splice in your wires you ran from A6 & A7 at the radio.

Does you new steering wheel connector look like the one in post 28 of this thread? If so the dark blue and purple with white stripe are for the radio controls. Either splice those to the green and black on the coil or back out the terminals and move them so the green-black and blue-purple circuits will mate in the connector. Post 35 has the radio control schematic.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:55 AM
sea six
Burning Brakes

Ok thanks ,that gives me something to look at.
Old 04-08-2017, 10:34 PM
Roadhog1956
Intermediate

I completed the mod today, I wired the two wires from the steering column to A6 and A7 pins on the radio harness. From the radio harness I have a PAC RP5 GM11 adapter to maintain the OnStar, SWC controls etc. The wires are connected to a Kenwood head unit (DNX572BH). Now the problem, still can't the SWC to work. Running out of options. Any suggestion.

Update: found I had a bad RP5 module, changed it out and everything works GREAT!

Last edited by Roadhog1956; 04-09-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Update post

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Steering Wheel Controls

Old 04-09-2017, 05:01 PM
GMautotech
Burning Brakes

I completed the mod today, I wired the two wires from the steering column to A6 and A7 pins on the radio harness. From the radio harness I have a PAC RP5 GM11 adapter to maintain the OnStar, SWC controls etc. The wires are connected to a Kenwood head unit (DNX572BH). Now the problem, still can't the SWC to work. Running out of options. Any suggestion.
I don't know anything about those aftermarket parts. Is that PAC supposed to work with the Kenwood, including the SWC? You're going to need to do some diagnostics. Get a multimeter, disconnect your A6 & A7 connector. Check the resistance from A6 to A7 while pushing a single SWC button, you should have a resistance range from about 1270 ohms to 3102 ohms depending on which SWC button you push, each button will have a different resistance. If you have OL or 0 ohms then the problem is with your wiring.

If the resistance checks ok plug your A6-A7 back in, turn everything on and test for voltage at the top of the clock spring on the A6 circuit. There should be voltage, I'm not sure how much, probably 5v or battery voltage. Shut everything off and check the resistance of A7 to ground.

Start with those checks and report back.
Old 04-09-2017, 06:56 PM
Roadhog1956
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GMautotech
I don't know anything about those aftermarket parts. Is that PAC supposed to work with the Kenwood, including the SWC? You're going to need to do some diagnostics. Get a multimeter, disconnect your A6 & A7 connector. Check the resistance from A6 to A7 while pushing a single SWC button, you should have a resistance range from about 1270 ohms to 3102 ohms depending on which SWC button you push, each button will have a different resistance. If you have OL or 0 ohms then the problem is with your wiring.

If the resistance checks ok plug your A6-A7 back in, turn everything on and test for voltage at the top of the clock spring on the A6 circuit. There should be voltage, I'm not sure how much, probably 5v or battery voltage. Shut everything off and check the resistance of A7 to ground.

Start with those checks and report back.

Got it, I chase it back to a bad RP5 module. Change it out and all grins!!!!!! Works fantastic, no programming, just plug and play. Thank to all on the forum for your help.
Old 06-08-2017, 12:17 PM
Waynz06
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Adding phone controls

Got it, I chase it back to a bad RP5 module. Change it out and all grins!!!!!! Works fantastic, no programming, just plug and play. Thank to all on the forum for your help.
I have a 07 ZO6 with Bose and Avic8200nex. All audio controls work on steering wheel. I want to change the wheel to get phone controls. Will I need to change anything else? Or just program the phone controls into the adapter for the SWC.

Quick Reply: Adding Steering Wheel Controls