C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What next...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:27 AM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next...

The question everyone hates.. Not sure what to do next.. Have the dynatech headers and x-pipe with the z06 mufflers.. have the var intake and a 100 shot dry kit.. Now contemplating between cam, gears, underdrive pulley, heads, Fast intake manifold and throttle body, etc..

help is appreciated..
Old 03-26-2009, 03:29 AM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

by the way.. looking into making the most power but not at redline so definitely dont need a big cam.. I am a high speed racer more than 1/4 mile, so speeds from 40-180mph.. obviously on a closed circuit..
Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

The cam would be the best for 40-180mph.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
The cam would be the best for 40-180mph.

cool thanks.. now better question.. what kind of cam?? brand?? size??? probably thinking a 22*/23*
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

40-180? you'll need to go FI....

cam will lead to head will lead to gears.........at the end of the day for the same money you would be 100hp short of getting a S/C.

I've seen bone stock LS2 with a S/C kits blast from 80 to 200 on a closed circuit 2 mile airport runway....

I have a H/C LS3 w/gears & headers, 525rwhp/490rwtq (10.66@132mph).....and it's a blast to drive.... but there is no substitute for the rush of a s/c at the mph you mentioned.......plus it is an easy process to reverse.

-Ed
Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by C6 DVL

cam will lead to head will lead to gears.........at the end of the day for the same money you would be 100hp short of getting a S/C.

I've seen bone stock LS2 with a S/C kits blast from 80 to 200 on a closed circuit 2 mile airport runway....

I have a H/C LS3 w/gears & headers, 525rwhp/490rwtq (10.66@132mph).....and it's a blast to drive.... but there is no substitute for the rush of a s/c at the mph you mentioned.......plus it is an easy process to reverse.

-Ed

i was definitely thinking of going that way.. but i'm thinking let me make all this power out of the engine alone for now.. getting a cam then later heads then gears is progressive which doesn't kill the pocket but putting all that money into a supercharger at once is harder.. Also let me say that i'm a HUGE fan of turbo.. Have had a few BIG turbo cars and miss that feel.. So in the future will definitely put a twin turbo kit on the car.. for now I want to break into the 10s with the highest trap speed possible..
Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by tractionlessvette
i was definitely thinking of going that way.. but i'm thinking let me make all this power out of the engine alone for now.. getting a cam then later heads then gears is progressive which doesn't kill the pocket but putting all that money into a supercharger at once is harder.. Also let me say that i'm a HUGE fan of turbo.. Have had a few BIG turbo cars and miss that feel.. So in the future will definitely put a twin turbo kit on the car.. for now I want to break into the 10s with the highest trap speed possible..
you have an LS3?

I hear what youre saying, to be in the 10s, you will need an aftermarket clutch........no ifs about it. What ever cam you are going to get, you will probably not be able to combine it with your future FI.

You have NOS, enjoy it and start saving for FI for 2010
Old 03-26-2009, 11:19 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

-Ed
Wow, I wouldn't expect to hear that from you!
Still very curious to see how your H/C car does against my FI car... But your argument just mirrored what I was going to say exactly: For the money, FI is the cheapest, easiest and most reversible way of adding power.

And to the OP: I did exactly what you have: Intake, Headers, Thermostat Exhaust, Tune... I wanted more, so it was either Heads/Cam or FI... I priced both out and doing my own supercharger install was cheaper than paying for a professional Heads/Cam install... So I went the supercharger route:

I actually did try a top speed run with the car when it was all bolt ons. It pulled OK to 5th, but then had very little to it.
I haven't had the chance to try it out since supercharging, but the car rips through all of 4rth gear now like it was in 3rd, and still pulls hard in 5th. 40-180 would be NO PROBLEM

Another thing to consider is that if you want to make real power from a heads/cam package, you are going to need a big cam, so your car will lope, surge, buck at idle and waste fuel. I know some here love a car that sounds like its about to stall, but for me personally, the fact that an FI motor has ZERO driveability compromises and all of the refinement, fuel economy (almost) and driveability of its N/A counterpart is a big selling point too...

Last edited by PowerLabs; 03-26-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:24 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's something about having a NA vette... just pure muscle and no fancy pants turbo or s/c... Not that I would know about having a turbo or s/c in my vette, **** I'm still bone stock until a month or so from now. Take my opinion as a little boy in a candy shop who loves everything and has an opinion on everything, and has a bias towards the candy he's already picked out and is ready to pay for and enjoy
Old 03-26-2009, 11:50 PM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

you have an LS3?

I hear what youre saying, to be in the 10s, you will need an aftermarket clutch........no ifs about it. What ever cam you are going to get, you will probably not be able to combine it with your future FI.

You have NOS, enjoy it and start saving for FI for 2010

got an ls2.. Ya the Nos is great but its a procedure you need to go through.. open bottle, turn switch on, make sure your in full throttle, hold on to the steering wheel and push the NOS button.. I personally dont really like Nos.. its like cheap power.. I'd like to have the power consistent and use Nos for fun...
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 PM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by PowerLabs
Still very curious to see how your H/C car does against my FI car... But your argument just mirrored what I was going to say exactly: For the money, FI is the cheapest, easiest and most reversible way of adding power.

And to the OP: I did exactly what you have: Intake, Headers, Thermostat Exhaust, Tune... I wanted more, so it was either Heads/Cam or FI... I priced both out and doing my own supercharger install was cheaper than paying for a professional Heads/Cam install... So I went the supercharger route:

I actually did try a top speed run with the car when it was all bolt ons. It pulled OK to 5th, but then had very little to it.
I haven't had the chance to try it out since supercharging, but the car rips through all of 4rth gear now like it was in 3rd, and still pulls hard in 5th. 40-180 would be NO PROBLEM

Another thing to consider is that if you want to make real power from a heads/cam package, you are going to need a big cam, so your car will lope, surge, buck at idle and waste fuel. I know some here love a car that sounds like its about to stall, but for me personally, the fact that an FI motor has ZERO driveability compromises and all of the refinement, fuel economy (almost) and driveability of its N/A counterpart is a big selling point too...

What kind of superchager is that?? ECS?? how much is the kit?? and given that all I have is headers and intake would i need a FI cam? I know that it will be time for a new clutch.. also stock heads? gears??
Old 03-26-2009, 11:56 PM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

Originally Posted by simplyphp
There's something about having a NA vette... just pure muscle and no fancy pants turbo or s/c... Not that I would know about having a turbo or s/c in my vette, **** I'm still bone stock until a month or so from now. Take my opinion as a little boy in a candy shop who loves everything and has an opinion on everything, and has a bias towards the candy he's already picked out and is ready to pay for and enjoy

oh I totally understand.. just headers intake and Nos and its plenty but however fast a NA car would be it wont feel like a turbo.. If you would have a turbo you would see how that is.. It is a pull that puts your ribs through your lung dont get me wrong supercharger is great too but it doesn't spoil like a turbo.. it is has power pretty much throughout the rev..
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

Wow .......
Hey Sam, my point back then was, you can't just look at a 525 H/C vs 590 FI dyno sheets and predict a win. Once you mount your wider rear tires and get the dual-disc clutch you will see what I was talking about..

Originally Posted by simplyphp
There's something about having a NA vette... just pure muscle :
1000% correct! (see a video in my profile homepage). I have no regrets of how my car is set up.

sweetspots
H/C 0 to 140sh
S/C 80 to 200
Old 03-27-2009, 12:08 AM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08

got an ls2..
don't even bother with cam........seen pleanty with LS2s converting to L92/LS3 heads, which you'll need the LS3 plenum, TB and a new CAI...

What kind of superchager is that?? ECS??
A&A

I'll be nuetral.....ECS or A&A..either way you can't go wrong, but do a search...
Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

What kind of superchager is that?? ECS?? how much is the kit?? and given that all I have is headers and intake would i need a FI cam? I know that it will be time for a new clutch.. also stock heads? gears??
That is an A&A Supercharger. The base kit (what I have) costs $5300 shipped. You do not need a cam, internals, gears, etc etc; I just took my VaraRam out, bolted that kit up to my completely stock car with headers and an exhaust and made 597RWHP / 518RWTQ on pump gas; I've been daily driving it like that for about 10K miles on a completely stock driveline and my clutch (44K miles as of today) hasn't even slipped yet.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Wow .......
Hey Sam, my point back then was, you can't just look at a 525 H/C vs 590 FI dyno sheets and predict a win. Once you mount your wider rear tires and get the dual-disc clutch you will see what I was talking about..
Well all my points were about power; I was always working under the impression that it would hook up, which it does, given warm enough tires and some initial speed..
I hope that doesn't mean you are having second thoughts about racing me
Old 03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

Should have just bought a LS3.. lol Got a good deal on this LS2 though.. I guess its time to LS3 heads and then supercharge..

Get notified of new replies

To What next...

Old 03-27-2009, 02:39 PM
PowerLabs
Le Mans Master

Should have just bought a LS3.. lol Got a good deal on this LS2 though.. I guess its time to LS3 heads and then supercharge..
You just NEED to spend more money huh?
I have a bone stock LS2 with a bone stock supercharger kit making 600WHP.
There are numerous bone stock LS2s breaking 700WHP on similar blowers running more boost and methanol injection... If you want, you can put heads, cam, forged internals, race gas, get a built rear end, a carbon-carbon clutch, gears, etc etc. You can dump another 50,000 dollars on your car on top of the blower.
But it won't be any faster on the street because even at 600WHP I can turn my tires into smoke at ANY speed that is legal to drive in here in NJ...
Old 03-29-2009, 12:45 AM
tractionlessvette
Instructor

You just NEED to spend more money huh?
I have a bone stock LS2 with a bone stock supercharger kit making 600WHP.
There are numerous bone stock LS2s breaking 700WHP on similar blowers running more boost and methanol injection... If you want, you can put heads, cam, forged internals, race gas, get a built rear end, a carbon-carbon clutch, gears, etc etc. You can dump another 50,000 dollars on your car on top of the blower.
But it won't be any faster on the street because even at 600WHP I can turn my tires into smoke at ANY speed that is legal to drive in here in NJ...
you have a point.. how about this.. when you got a chance help me out and PM me what supercharger to get and what ever else you got.. thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 AM
LS2-Zomb!e
Safety Car

Cam

Quick Reply: What next...