C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BEWARE: Broke my leaf spring today!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 07:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I realize your post above is meant to be funny^^^^ but I'd say "barnco's" post is a serious one, and there are not a lot of threads on spring failure.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:51 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by barnco
Hey guys, I'm from New Zealand, and have just discovered an issue with the front composite spring on my 2005 base model C6. It has done 196 000 km. On inspection, I've noticed the spring beginning to delaminate / split along the length direction of the spring. According to GM technical bulletins, these events do happen, and offer unacceptable reasons. I would like to know from fellow Corvette owners, if anyone else has experienced such as issue. I'm aware the spring will need to be replaced, but unless inspected, other Corvette owners could be oblivious to such issues. Any comments are welcome
When I bought my 2005 Z51 that I converted into a racecar, I found that the original spring had split exactly as you have described. I replaced it with a C5Z06 spring and it's been fine ever since.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:57 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by barnco
Hey guys, I'm from New Zealand, and have just discovered an issue with the front composite spring on my 2005 base model C6. It has done 196 000 km. On inspection, I've noticed the spring beginning to delaminate / split along the length direction of the spring. According to GM technical bulletins, these events do happen, and offer unacceptable reasons. I would like to know from fellow Corvette owners, if anyone else has experienced such as issue. I'm aware the spring will need to be replaced, but unless inspected, other Corvette owners could be oblivious to such issues. Any comments are welcome
There have been reports of spring failure caused by chemicals attacking the spring. Aluminum brighter (used on suspension parts) is one culprit, there are probably others but I don't know them.

Impacts with big rocks, or accidentally jacking on the spring, are also possibilities.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 10-25-2016 at 08:58 PM.

Quick Reply: BEWARE: Broke my leaf spring today!!!!!