C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-19-2015, 07:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior How-Tos
Print Wikipost

Removing front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Removing front bumper

I'm hung up trying to remove the front bumper on my 2006 convert.
I have removed all of the fasteners specified in the factory service manual, but I can't get the clip to release, that holds the fender to the front bumper.
I have even tried using a panel clip, pry tool, to lever the bumper upward away from the fender, but it won't release.
If I could just see what the clip looks like I might have an idea how to release it.
Does any one have a sugestion.

See photo below.

Ed

Thanks to all who helped; I got her off today.

The Bumper!!!

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Ed

Last edited by Old Yellow; 02-03-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM
2kvert
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to pull straight up on the bumper cover to unclip it. The worst you can do is break the clips which are cheap to replace but I've never broke one and removed bumper covers plenty of times. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:16 PM
99ssconv
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont see a clip there, this is directly from the GM service manual

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 1506204
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fascia, Valence, Fascia Close Out Panel Replacement - Front Bumper

Callout
Component Name

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Fastener Tightening Specifications: Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications .

Fascia Replacement
Retainer, Front Wheelhouse (Qty: 5)

Bolt, Fascia (Qty: 5)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

Bolt, Fascia Upper Bracket (Qty: 3)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

Nut, Fascia (Qty: 4)

Tighten
5 N·m (44 lb in)

Fascia, Front Bumper Fascia

Bolt, Fascia Upper Bracket (Qty: 4)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

Bracket, Fascia Support Bracket

Front Bumper Valance Replacement
Bolt, Valance (Qty: 3)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

Valance, Front Bumper Valance

Fascia Close Out Panel Replacement
Bolt, Valance (Qty: 3)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

Valance, Front Bumper Valance

Panel, Fascia Close Panel

© 2010 General Motors. All rights reserved.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:17 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

The bumper hangs over the top there where it clips. You should be able to pull forward on the bottom of the bumper and up to free the top. Then to put it back on you have to hang the top over the lip and then push the bottom toward the rear of the car. I will pm you a picture of a c6 i have the bumper off off so you can see under it.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Originally Posted by 2kvert
You should be able to pull straight up on the bumper cover to unclip it. The worst you can do is break the clips which are cheap to replace but I've never broke one and removed bumper covers plenty of times. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by HorsePowerAddicts
The bumper hangs over the top there where it clips. You should be able to pull forward on the bottom of the bumper and up to free the top. Then to put it back on you have to hang the top over the lip and then push the bottom toward the rear of the car. I will pm you a picture of a c6 i have the bumper off off so you can see under it.
PM received.

Thanks all for the help.

I'll get back on it in the morning.

Last edited by Old Yellow; 02-02-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Originally Posted by 99ssconv

I dont see a clip there, this is directly from the GM service manual

Service Information
2006 Chevrolet Corvette | Corvette (VIN Y) Service Manual | Document ID: 1506204
Yea thats the same book I have, but they leave out a lot of the little details.

Their instructions, in general, seem to be helpful only as a reminder, if you have done the job before.

Believe me there is a clip in there.

Ed
Old 02-03-2010, 11:49 AM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kvert
Just prepare to have the part shipped to you. I had to drive 35miles to purchase a set because that was the only thing holding up the reinstall.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Thanks to all who helped; I got her off today.

The Bumper!!!

Get your mind out of the gutter.

Ed
Old 02-03-2010, 10:06 PM
jmt1669
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

This may help others as it shows the clip.
http://www.myvettesite.com/files/widebodyguide.pdf
Old 01-30-2012, 02:03 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Great link
Old 01-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Since this thread has been revived I'll add some better pictures that I took after I got the bumper seperated.

These are from my 06 that I started this link for. Last year I did my new GS, and having done it before made this time a snap.

I used a couple of those plastic door panel tools to wedge the bumper forward and another to pry up on the fender. Popped right apart.

In the photos the reference to the MF clip is just short hand for, "Mighty Fine Clip."

Ed

Old 02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
QwikC
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
Since this thread has been revived I'll add some better pictures that I took after I got the bumper seperated.

These are from my 06 that I started this link for. Last year I did my new GS, and having done it before made this time a snap.

I used a couple of those plastic door panel tools to wedge the bumper forward and another to pry up on the fender. Popped right apart.

In the photos the reference to the MF clip is just short hand for, "Mighty Fine Clip."

Ed
Respectively to the clip you’ve noted as “MF,” it may be with the "wrong side up" and thus accounting for the problem, if so orientated, that others have reported/experienced after awhile whereof the fascia popping loose from position.

Personally have inquired and referenced other sources that suggest an opposite to the pictured position, though still uncertain which is correct and/or proper by design and intent from incurring said problem. There must be a proper intended orientation, or why else the difference.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Originally Posted by QwikC
Respectively to the clip you’ve noted as “MF,” it may be with the "wrong side up" and thus accounting for the problem, if so orientated, that others have reported/experienced after awhile whereof the fascia popping loose from position.
It can't be wrong side up. That would make it impossible for the bumper installation to be completed by pushing down on the bumper to snap into place. It is impossible for the bumper to be raised into the clip. there just isn't the clearance.

Ed
Old 02-04-2012, 05:50 PM
QwikC
Pro

Originally Posted by Old Yellow
It can't be wrong side up. That would make it impossible for the bumper installation to be completed by pushing down on the bumper to snap into place. It is impossible for the bumper to be raised into the clip. there just isn't the clearance.

Ed
Quite the contrary, it is possible given the following examples, yet it still doesn’t explain which is the correct position…

:: fascia_removal.pdf – see last page (4 of 4)

:: bumper-wings-wont-stay-down – see Post 5

The second and third pictures of Motorhead-47's posting seem to suggest by the angularity and tapered tip of the clip that that orientation would better serve as a guide for the fascia’s edge to slide into place, again, not certain for nothing definitive has been available to date.

PS: Clip in question is the larger "MF clip" of the two, as per your reference in 2nd picture.

Last edited by QwikC; 02-04-2012 at 06:18 PM. Reason: added PS
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those two different threads show the clip in the same direction from what I can see.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:15 AM
QwikC
Pro

^^^^ That was precisely the point, chose two (2) like but separate examples that illustrate the clip comparatively opposite in position to that displayed in Old Yellow’s posting.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Old Yellow
Pro

You can beat this to death, but the pictures I showed in my post #11 is the correct orientation of the clip as it is attached to the fender.

Since doing my own two cars I have since helped four other people take their bumpers loose from the fender. In each case the clips were installed as shown in my photos.

If you reverse either the MF clip or the ramp clip you will only increase the difficulty in either taking the bumper off or putting it back on.

All of the pictures posted on this subject show them oriented in the same way. It is only the lighting or orientations of the camera that make them appear different.

The biggest obstacle to getting the bumper to pop off the clips is the temperature. When the bumper is warm they will pop apart more easily than when it is cold. When I did my first one the garage temperature was around 50 degrees. With the ambient temperature in the 70 to 80s the urethane bumper is more pliable, and came apart much easier.

Ed

Last edited by Old Yellow; 02-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing front bumper

Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
QwikC
Pro

^^^^ It’s unfortunate that you fail to recognize the simple intent here to find a “definitive” answer from anybody willing to share knowledge of the fact – a proper position of the clip. Also, IF you look acutely enough at the examples provided you’ll see NOT all pictures illustrate the same position, but that’s you prerogative if you’re content with such an inaccurate observation and not so a matter of lighting.

Indeed, personally finished with this matter, shall pursue discovery elsewhere that's absent innuendos suggestive of beating a matter to death. Hadn’t anticipated though ought to have realized such remarks are often the product of minds dull to detail and content to live with inaccuracies while diminishing the worth of others in their efforts for greater accuracies, which in this matter may prove the difference in keeping the fascia from detaching in later times as some have experienced…. if it didn’t matter then the sides would’ve been the same, plain and simple. Good day all.

A PM previously received showin' a conflicting viewpoint and cause for the inquiry...
======================================== ======================================
To : QwikC
Date : 2011-07-03 18:34
Title : Re: Clip Orientation_up, down?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Glad to help

The following photo was taken of my car and those clips have not been touched from the factory. You'll see that the top of the clip leans forward. I'm assuming this is to help guide the front fascia down into the slot.

Hope that helped

PS: IF anybody should be further genuinely interested to know of the proper orientation of clip for the cited reason; avoid noted and possible/future separation, PM and information will be made when fact is ascertained.

Last edited by QwikC; 02-06-2012 at 08:32 AM. Reason: posted PS
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Originally Posted by QwikC
^^^^ the simple intent here to find a “definitive” answer from anybody willing to share knowledge of the fact – a proper position of the clip.
Dah-- Thats what I just did.

I've taken 6 cars apart, and the results were as posted previously.

Get out your wrenches, pull the bumper off, and you will find a three dimensional visual of my posted pictures.

What do you want to hear? That someone else agrees with you!

Ed
Old 02-05-2012, 02:55 PM
QwikC
Pro

^^^^ You’re ignorant as equally rude in reply (dah) by your continuing failure to see that your three-dimensional illustration on a comparative basis is neither “definitive” nor “resolute” to the issue. Maybe others here can help you see the point of the matter.

Finished here… UNSUBSCRIBING from any furtherance, so have at it, personally haven’t a predisposition to favor playing in the mud….

Quick Reply: Removing front bumper