C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with trunk key and lock on 2005 c6

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 AM
landry2756
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with trunk key and lock on 2005 c6

I lost my fob and key and discovered my spare key won't open the trunk! It just turns in the lock and the local locksmith said someone had turned the non-fitting key in the tumbler and broke the trunk lock by doing so. (when you turn the key, it turns a 1/2 turn, doesn't open the trunk,doesn't do anything) So now I have one working FOB and can't program a new one that I will have to buy and don't know what I will do if my battery goes dead for what ever reason until then.... What is the cheapest way to fix this and what is the step by step procedure to replace it all ? I suspect I will have to buy a new key and matching trunk lock for the new key, or is it possible by turning a non-fitting key, it just broke some part of the lock that opens the trunk latch? I have no idea and neither did the locksmith....Don't have a clue on how to replace the key and lock and does any one have a used key,trunk lock and FOB for my 2005 C6 they would sell me? Any advice is greatly needed. Thanks in advance, KL
Old 02-12-2010, 09:51 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I am going to have to "assume" that the trunk lock on a convert is the same as the hatch lock on the coupe. If so then there is at least one thread showing a cable that can disconnect on the latch. My search skills are poor but there are threads on how to fix the cable on the hatch. Hopefully somebody will post a link.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Does your key work in the glove compartment and console???

with Hal

The first thing I would consider is that your cable from the lock to the latch may be loose. It should look like this:

If the cable is not properly hooked into the latch release it will look like this:

Like Hal, I assume that you have a vert rather than a coupe - you use the word "trunk" instead of "hatch".

The locks for the vert and coupe are different. The vert has wires coming out of the lock that carry the fob programming signal, so even if the cable is not properly hooked into the latch you can program a new fob.

The coupe does not have the wires from the lock - the fob programming signal is generated from within the latch itself when the cable pulls the latch release. So, the coupe will require that the cable is hooked up properly in order to program a fob.

BTW, the difference is due to the fact that the vert does not have an auto pull down latch, and the coupe does. Therefore, if you have an earlier Z06 with the manual latch, it's just the same as the vert lock/latch. If you have a later Z06 with the pull down latch you'll have the lock/latch just like in any other coupe.

If you get to the point where you need to replace the lock, take a look at this thread - you'll have to scroll down to post# 56 to see how I drilled out the rivets to get the lock out of the rear fascia, and see that I just replaced them with bolts:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ear-hatch.html

Here's a picture of the two different locks - the vert/early Z06 is on top (with the 2 wires), and the lock for the auto pull down latch on a coupe is the bottom unit:

Also, you can just replace the inside of the lock cylinder (at least I guess you can buy just the inside piece). When I installed the auto pull down latch into my early Z06 I swapped that interior piece so that my one key would work the glove compartment/console/hatch:

Good luck!!

Bob
The following users liked this post:
TMODcustoms (08-06-2020)
Old 02-12-2010, 11:21 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks BEZ06, thats the link I was thinking of and couldn't find.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:11 AM
landry2756
Heel & Toe

Thanks so much for the help and info! I will take it apart and see what I can see and give the GM parts guy a call about the key and tumbler. The key does not fit the glove box nor the center console, so I will have to have a new key and tumbler to fit the trunk most likely. Hoping I don't have to buy the whole lock device. Maybe I can unhook the cable and pull it five times with the new FOB in the program slot and program it? I would think that's possible - but sometimes I wish the car did not have so many electronic devices that I have no clue about ....I am bidding on a FOB on ebay and hopefully I'll win the auction for a reasonable price. It is an uneasy feeling just having one FOB! Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the trunk piece that covers the trunk lock, taillights etc.? Don't know where to start on that. Again, thanks so much for the info, I would really be lost without the tech info provided to me and am very grateful for it!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by landry2756
Thanks so much for the help and info! I will take it apart and see what I can see and give the GM parts guy a call about the key and tumbler. The key does not fit the glove box nor the center console, so I will have to have a new key and tumbler to fit the trunk most likely. Hoping I don't have to buy the whole lock device. Maybe I can unhook the cable and pull it five times with the new FOB in the program slot and program it? I would think that's possible - but sometimes I wish the car did not have so many electronic devices that I have no clue about ....I am bidding on a FOB on ebay and hopefully I'll win the auction for a reasonable price. It is an uneasy feeling just having one FOB! Does anyone have any tips on how to remove the trunk piece that covers the trunk lock, taillights etc.? Don't know where to start on that. Again, thanks so much for the info, I would really be lost without the tech info provided to me and am very grateful for it!
Don't know by your profile what year and model vette you have but I will assume a vert....Just remember when you are trying to get into program mode on a vert or a non pull down closer latch car,the program will be started by shorting the harness side of the 2 wires that go to the lock switch as per the manual procedure.If you have an auto pull down latch you will have to pull the latch not the cable to start the program mode...The wires are on the latch not the key switch!!

Hope this helps you

Ron

Last edited by vetehead; 02-14-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:59 AM
landry2756
Heel & Toe

Default 2005 C6 convertible trunk lock problem

Thanks Ron, It's a 2005 Covertible C6 without the pull down latch. I don't have the spare (second) FOB yet and I am going to go to the Chevrolet parts department and see if I can by a key and tumbler for it. The key I have doesn't fit the console or glove box so I am going to have to buy what I have to have to open the trunk in case of a dead battery. Anyone that can tell me the best way to remove the part of the trunk that covers the key mechanism and taillights etc. would be appreciated greatly.....
Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 AM
vetehead
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by landry2756
Thanks Ron, It's a 2005 Covertible C6 without the pull down latch. I don't have the spare (second) FOB yet and I am going to go to the Chevrolet parts department and see if I can by a key and tumbler for it. The key I have doesn't fit the console or glove box so I am going to have to buy what I have to have to open the trunk in case of a dead battery. Anyone that can tell me the best way to remove the part of the trunk that covers the key mechanism and taillights etc. would be appreciated greatly.....
Everything should be able to removed from the inner taillights just torque screws I believe t15,You will however have to drill out the rivets to remove and than replace them.The cable and wire come in thru a grommet into the interior, as you probably already know by the pics posted.

Ron
Old 12-21-2015, 02:35 AM
Brekeen
3rd Gear

Default Thank you so much!!

i only wish I would have found this before we spent the money in another key just like the one we had that opened the glove compartment. When got home still didn't work. So I started googling and brought me here. Your pictures and explanation helped me locate the problem and now both keys work!! Glad they keep even the older answers in here!!
Old 10-18-2019, 01:04 PM
je.hengstz
2nd Gear

Hello , my name is Jerry from the Netherlands.
Iḿ new here in this forum,
Can anyone tell me , how can i see the pictures above clearly ?
grtz Jerry
Old 10-19-2019, 08:12 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Originally Posted by je.hengstz
Hello , my name is Jerry from the Netherlands.
Iḿ new here in this forum,
Can anyone tell me , how can i see the pictures above clearly ?
grtz Jerry
You likely will not be able to because the owner of those pictures is using the free account, which limits the photos. No one in their right mind would pay photobucket $400.00 per year for their service. It's terrible.
There used to be a fix but I'm not sure it works anymore. You can try to find it with google search. photobucket embed fix.
I saved most threads that were deemed pertinent for the future prior to PB bending the users over the table.
I've attached the info from above in PDF format. Hope it helps you.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Hatch cable-lock.pdf (438.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 10-20-2019, 08:04 AM
je.hengstz
2nd Gear

Hi,
thnxx for your reaction.
I've opened the pdf and the pictures where very good.
thank you for this

grtz Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Help with trunk key and lock on 2005 c6

Quick Reply: Help with trunk key and lock on 2005 c6