C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hemi engines

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw a flow test on the current Hemi heads and they flow very well.

One thing that has not been pointed out is Hemi heads flow well because the valves are pointed more toward the center line of the cylinder thus when open, they are farther away from the cylinder wall, thus less shrouding.

One major negative is the size and weight of the Hemi heads making them difficult or impossible to fit into today's smaller engine compartments.

The LS series of engines are just tremendous in meeting today's vehicles. Small, light, simple, great fuel efficiency and produce more massive torque and horsepower.

Last edited by Mez; 02-23-2010 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM
RandelB
Pro

Received 580 Likes on 245 Posts

Don't forget that "hemi" is actually a prefix. It means "half". Like hemisphere. Half of a sphere. In marketing-speak this is forgotten. So in the case of the plymouth ads running lately they are correct...a hemi engine...half an engine.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
joeking
Safety Car

Received 290 Likes on 195 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I believe they are very good engines. I know the newer 5.4 Ford engines have had problems with spark plugs blowing out of the holes and it costs a small fortune to repair this. I have to give credit to the C6 engines. Very light and dependable with lots of power and room to modify if one desires.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

Almost every time we run our Corvette Challenge races at Englishtown N.J. they also run an event called "Modern Mopar Muscle Series". Well, I can testify 2 things. First, most of those folks a great car guys, just like us. Plus, I've seen 4200 lb Chrysler 300C & Dodge Charger SRT's and Jeeps as well run way deep into the 12's with a few turning 11's. I realize that Daimler-Chrysler at the time copied the LS series engines & added their own head design. But, this doesn't mean they're crappy engines. I for one respect them & I do hope that Chrysler survives these bad times without Fiat screwing them completely. . After all, they're still Italian American...just like my sweetie.

PS: I've driven my brother's SRT and the only car GM had that really competed with that was the Pontiac G8 SLP and that's gone now.
What a shame.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BLOWN ECS Z06
100% Very well put. The classic hemispherical combution chambers is also a dominant force in professional drag racing today and has been so for many, many years (since the mid 60s) with most top fuel (funny cars and dragsters) running them today still.

The mystique behind the HEMI engine has a big part to do with the way MOPAR domininted with the Hemi in the the mid to late 60s on the dragstrip and also Nascar Circuit.
All of todays funny cars use the Hemi designed v8.What kind of erks me is that some of these racers that use Ford mustang bodies would like for you to believe it is powered by ford.Namely the biggest funny car racer today.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:54 PM
kolsen911
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothy Barth
All of todays funny cars use the Hemi designed v8.What kind of erks me is that some of these racers that use Ford mustang bodies would like for you to believe it is powered by ford.Namely the biggest funny car racer today.
New to the forum. My 72 Porsche 911 with a 3.0L engine is also a Hemi. Older Porsche engines are all Hemi's. Mine is upgraded and has twin plugs. That gave me an additional 10hp on the engine dyno.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:28 PM
548chevelle
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

The LS7 head flows more than the newest chrysler hemi head- 360 vs 340 cfm
Old 09-23-2016, 09:09 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

I have both... 2010 5.7L (376 hp) 6 sp stick Hemi Challenger & a 2008 6.2L (436 hp) LS3 Auto Corvette. The Challenger ran 154.9 at the Texas Mile in stock configuration. But the Corvette will not see the Mile as it is my cruisemobile. My 2014 2.0T ATS Cadillac did see the Mile to the tune of 144.3 mph.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:24 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

The 426 Hemi engine was a fantastic engine in it's time (pretty much the 'Holy Grail' of engines back then) ... and is still a very good design, even by todays standards.

How can you not just love the overall looks of this icon of an engine:

Which one are we supposed to be lookin' at here ?

Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 733 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
The 426 Hemi engine was a fantastic engine in it's time (pretty much the 'Holy Grail' of engines back then) ... and is still a very good design, even by todays standards.

How can you not just love the overall looks of this icon of an engine:

Which one are we supposed to be lookin' at here ?

I only see one hemi with dual quads.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:36 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

The modern HEMI engines are nothing like the "REAL" HEMI that immortalized the name... The marketing behind them is what makes them so great... it ends there. Its a good engine as long as its not dropping valves. (Mexico built/assembled heads)

The biggest issue with anything Chrysler is the lack of tuning options. The few options available are nothing like the options for Ford or Chevy. This is because Chrysler spends a lot of time locking up the PCMs and insuring they are difficult to tune.

The LS engine is "GODS" engine, you can build them for a fraction of the price, you can tune for ANY application and the LS has a much larger aftermarket available.

If Jesus was on earth today, he would be driving an LS powered ride!

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM
Old 10-01-2016, 11:11 PM
oemtech
Melting Slicks

Received 159 Likes on 116 Posts

Yup...700 HP with a warranty and $30k less cost than Corvette. I know of 2 tuners that can tune Hemi's and the run like stink. Yes, you guessed it I have one and I have a LS3 Corvette.

Quick Reply: Hemi engines