C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console cover latch keeps breaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Console cover latch keeps breaking

I've had three console cover latches break, making it impossible to securely close the center console cover. It's just that tiny tab that breaks off. This one inch piece of plastic (held in place by a small spring) cost about $30 bucks from GM parts. Has this happened to anyone and is there a way to fix this without a new part?
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 AM
Andy 53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has been broken since I bought the car. I have not had any problem with it opening unless I opened it. So far, I have not seen a need to replace the latch!

Andy
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine's been broken for almost 2 years now. The replacement has been ordered TWICE under warranty and the part has yet to show up. That's almost two years to NOT find me a replacement for a poorly designed part. Not impressed, GM. It's a 20 cent piece of plastic fer cryin' out loud.

Here's a great opportunity for the aftermarket folks. Make a batch of these things and sell them for $20 each. Undercut GMs nutso price (MSRP = $38!!) and still make a tidy profit. Make them in metal.

Z//
Old 03-31-2010, 12:14 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Mine's been broken for almost 2 years now. The replacement has been ordered TWICE under warranty and the part has yet to show up. That's almost two years to NOT find me a replacement for a poorly designed part. Not impressed, GM. It's a 20 cent piece of plastic fer cryin' out loud.

Here's a great opportunity for the aftermarket folks. Make a batch of these things and sell them for $20 each. Undercut GMs nutso price (MSRP = $38!!) and still make a tidy profit. Make them in metal.

Z//
I'm not a vendor but I am in the spring and clip business and will take a look at this part and see what I can come up with so far I have made a good fix for the sun visor vanity mirror cover that falls apart and also the auto dimming rear view mirror that shakes and moves all the time.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
I've had three console cover latches break, making it impossible to securely close the center console cover. It's just that tiny tab that breaks off. This one inch piece of plastic (held in place by a small spring) cost about $30 bucks from GM parts. Has this happened to anyone and is there a way to fix this without a new part?
GM solve this issue in 2008, they deleted the console cover lock.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by bassspring
I'm not a vendor but I am in the spring and clip business and will take a look at this part and see what I can come up with so far I have made a good fix for the sun visor vanity mirror cover that falls apart and also the auto dimming rear view mirror that shakes and moves all the time.
Can I get some info on the vanity mirror fix?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
The lock has nothing to do with it. The latch just secures the console in the closed (but not locked) position so you have to lift up on the latch to open it.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's LS3
Two different things. My 2007 Z06 (made Sept 2006) does *not* have the lock but it certainly has a (broken) latch.

http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Z//
Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Great idea for both items. My 05' coupe mirror shakes big-time. Any easy fixes for that? Thanx..
Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Can I get some info on the vanity mirror fix?
Need to mill out the plastic pins, I built a fixture to mount the cover in to make it easier to hold in place and with a ball end mill the size of the replacement pins you mill on each side about 3/8" and I super glued (gorilla brand) the steel pins in then you have to pry the spring clips that are on the visor open to snap the cover back in. This may not be a DIY for the average person.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:08 PM
bassspring
Racer

Originally Posted by Turbooo2u
Great idea for both items. My 05' coupe mirror shakes big-time. Any easy fixes for that? Thanx..
I replaced the 3 pins that hold the mirror on with a special spring tempered material that will not bend like the stock ones do. If you remove your mirror you will see the ones I'm talking about and if you think you can change them out send me you address (PM) and I will mail you the replacements to install. If you do a search you will find info on removing the mirror.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:11 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Two different things. My 2007 Z06 (made Sept 2006) does *not* have the lock but it certainly has a (broken) latch.

http://www.gmpartshouseusa.com/partl...layCatalogid=0

Z//
Thanks for the correction, $28 for a plastic latch? I wonder what it would cost if it was metal? Oh, but then it would probably not break and need replacement
Old 03-31-2010, 03:50 PM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

Mine broke too....using velco to hold the lid closed.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM
Turbooo2u
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Thats a good idea.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Epic_C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Whatever works! Mine is still there so I guess I better be super careful from now on.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:41 PM
bassspring
Racer

I need to know if these are braking where the two ends fit in the holes that it hinges on, if so I can fix these.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I need to know if these are braking where the two ends fit in the holes that it hinges on, if so I can fix these.
That's where mine is broken.

Get notified of new replies

To Console cover latch keeps breaking

Quick Reply: Console cover latch keeps breaking