C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a big block v8 fit into a C4, C5 or C6?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Probably because they think it's still 1975.

Technology is so advanced from when BBs were all the rage, it's scary. I can do things to my C6 I couldn't dream of with my '70 Chevelle.

I'm not saying don't listen to your friends but only take advice from those with legitimate experience.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM
cranky
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shado

Technology is so advanced from when BBs were all the rage, it's scary. I can do things to my C6 I couldn't dream of with my '70 Chevelle.

I'm not saying don't listen to your friends but only take advice from those with legitimate experience.
also, listen to the SPINMONSTER !!! he is VERY experienced
Old 12-16-2010, 03:27 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

You may be surprised to know how much of the "new" technology in the LSx came from the BBCs. People here are acting like technology can only be applied to new engines...the BBC has its fair share of R&D going on now. Do not discount anything just because of its roots...hotrodders are known for their innovation.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by glass slipper
You may be surprised to know how much of the "new" technology in the LSx came from the BBCs. People here are acting like technology can only be applied to new engines...the BBC has its fair share of R&D going on now. Do not discount anything just because of its roots...hotrodders are known for their innovation.
Oh I'm not saying that at all. However, it appears as if his friends are basing their performance predictions on what it took to make things fast back in the BB era. Granted the basics are still there because a combustion engine still functions basically the same but you no longer need large cubes, giant cams, and crappy driving characteristics to be fast. The LSx platform is a progression of what was learned back then and will only continue to get better, I hope. Of course now just about anything can be done to a BB but back in the '70s the technology wasn't there. I'm the last person to discredit a hotrodder's imagination. Swapping a BB into a C6 simply for the 'WOW' factor or to make an interesting project for yourself is one thing. But to think you need to swap in a BB to make power....?
Old 12-16-2010, 05:03 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Oh I'm not saying that at all. However, it appears as if his friends are basing their performance predictions on what it took to make things fast back in the BB era. Granted the basics are still there because a combustion engine still functions basically the same but you no longer need large cubes, giant cams, and crappy driving characteristics to be fast. The LSx platform is a progression of what was learned back then and will only continue to get better, I hope. Of course now just about anything can be done to a BB but back in the '70s the technology wasn't there. I'm the last person to discredit a hotrodder's imagination. Swapping a BB into a C6 simply for the 'WOW' factor or to make an interesting project for yourself is one thing. But to think you need to swap in a BB to make power....?
Let me give you a little hint...the BBC era never ended. Go do some research and then come back to this discussion. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this: If the "technology" in the LSX was so great, you would see them dominating Pro Stock racing...not only are they not dominating, they aren't even in competition.

This is all a moot point as we don't know what kind of racing the OP is going into. Nobody ever said he had to swap in a BBC to make power but if he expects to win in some classes of racing it would certainly be to his advantage.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:00 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Let me give you a little hint...the BBC era never ended. Go do some research and then come back to this discussion. In the meantime, I'll leave you with this: If the "technology" in the LSX was so great, you would see them dominating Pro Stock racing...not only are they not dominating, they aren't even in competition.

This is all a moot point as we don't know what kind of racing the OP is going into. Nobody ever said he had to swap in a BBC to make power but if he expects to win in some classes of racing it would certainly be to his advantage.
I was referring to when BBCs were actually put into production vehicles. Perhaps I took the conversation in the wrong direction considering he wants to build a race car. In that case you're correct he has to adhere to the specific class rules. But yes someone did say he should swap in a BBC, his friends. He doesn't want to, which is why he's here for help. A BBC may be to his advantage but then wouldn't picking a different chassis than the Corvette, judging by his quest for 2000hp? I don't need to do any research and rejoin the discussion because I have neither the knowledge, nor the time at the moment, to acquire the knowledge to offer much useful information. I simply made a statement comparing my old Chevelle to my C6.

But thanks for the hint

:o

Last edited by 5knives; 12-16-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I was referring to when BBCs were actually put into production vehicles. Perhaps I took the conversation in the wrong direction considering he wants to build a race car. In that case you're correct he has to adhere to the specific class rules. But yes someone did say he should swap in a BBC, his friends. He doesn't want to, which is why he's here for help. A BBC may be to his advantage but then wouldn't picking a different chassis than the Corvette, judging by his quest for 2000hp? I don't need to do any research and rejoin the discussion because I have neither the knowledge, nor the time at the moment, to acquire the knowledge to offer much useful information. I simply made a statement comparing my old Chevelle to my C6.

But thanks for the hint

Actually, you got the conversation right from the beginning. The OP isn't talking about racing Pro Stock or any of those other special race classes.

If he is, the C6 offers nothing to help him. He needs to find a more suitable platform.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:30 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

But thanks for the hint

GM continued to install the BBC in production vehicles up until about 4 years ago. GM developed the Gen V and Gen VI BBC in the '90s while the 8.1L Vortec came out in the early 2000's...time has not stood still for the BBC since your '70 Chevelle, I can promise you that.

The OP may not want to install a BBC but he does want to be competitive. Sounds like he has two conflicting "wants" which I don't think are going to be resolved here. Personally, I believe if he doesn't know enough to figure it out on his own, he needs to forget about doing anything for now and start reading up on engines.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

Yes the technology is out there and has been for a while. We offer 457, 468 and 503 cid LSx engines.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
5knives
Melting Slicks

The OP may not want to install a BBC but he does want to be competitive. Sounds like he has two conflicting "wants" which I don't think are going to be resolved here. Personally, I believe if he doesn't know enough to figure it out on his own, he needs to forget about doing anything for now and start reading up on engines.
Isn't that exactly why he's here, trying to learn? Those who have the knowledge (i'm certainly not one of them in this regard) should offer it up to the gentleman. That's what the forum is all about.

txrancher47 you need to list your specific goals for the car. This will get you the most accurate information from the big brains and help guide you along the right path.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,185 Likes on 684 Posts

The small bore of the LSX (relative to the BBC) will never have enough room to fit the valves needed to flow at the 10,000 RPMs the BBC engines turn. The long stroke of the 500 in³ LSX will limit its RPM structurally while the much shorter stroke of the BBC allows it too rev to the moon with no worries.
What are the bore & stroke for a 500" BBC and 500" LSX?
Old 05-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Tim Lord
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hahahaha

Tell that to John Force.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:15 PM
5knives
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tim Lord
Tell that to John Force.
(fixed for Tim Lord)
Probably because they think it's still 2010

Quick Reply: Will a big block v8 fit into a C4, C5 or C6?