C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 07:38 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Plug wires

i am needing some new plug wires. what brands are best...and is there really that big of a differance between the brands?? any of them come in yellow...not a must,but would help dress up my engine bay a bit...
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
marc8090
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll get alot of people saying the stock wires are fine, and actually hard to improve on. I have MSD wires only because I had a stock wire break and didn't want to wait for the dealer to order a replacement.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:47 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 163 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have Granatelli, good for 30HP!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by timd38
I have Granatelli, good for 30HP!
i wish they did inprove hp,what did they cost you?
Old 04-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

MSD wires.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:24 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

I have MSD, but who knows if they really make a difference over the stock wires. Do you have headers?
Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
I have MSD, but who knows if they really make a difference over the stock wires. Do you have headers?
yes,kooks lt headers
Old 04-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

DO NOT Fall for any wire performance increase HYPE! Period!!!
IMHO, the GM Red Performance Wires are a great bang for the buck. They have excellent hardware and wire QUALITY and do not cost an arm and a leg!!

If you want a specific COLOR wire, get something that has your color choice! WHAT EVER YOU DO,,,, do not purchase a set of wires because someone says they make more HP than XYZ brand! Thats BS.

A set of walmart wires will make just as much HP as a $200 set of wires. They will just not fit properly and will NOT last as long for various reasons.

If MSD trips your trigger 99blancoss (forum sponsor) has good deals on MSD. I will say this: If you need CUSTOM LENGTH wires, contact him. He will hook you up with your custom wire needs!! Excellent Service for custom wires.

If you want a great deal on the GM Performance wires, contact Gene Culley or Patrick www.gmpartshouse.com

BC
Old 04-11-2011, 12:36 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

The reason I asked about the headers is because I have a few friends on this forum who have had issues with the heat from the headers melting thier wires and causing shorts.
I dont have this problem with MSD wires.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:50 PM
///DarkSide\\\
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Callaway makes good wires
Old 04-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
IMHO, the GM Red Performance Wires are a great bang for the buck. They have excellent hardware and wire QUALITY and do not cost an arm and a leg!!

If you want a specific COLOR wire, get something that has your color choice! WHAT EVER YOU DO,,,, do not purchase a set of wires because someone says they make more HP than XYZ brand! Thats BS.

A set of walmart wires will make just as much HP as a $200 set of wires. They will just not fit properly and will NOT last as long for various reasons.

If MSD trips your trigger 99blancoss (forum sponsor) has good deals on MSD. I will say this: If you need CUSTOM LENGTH wires, contact him. He will hook you up with your custom wire needs!! Excellent Service for custom wires.

If you want a great deal on the GM Performance wires, contact Gene Culley or Patrick www.gmpartshouse.com

BC
Nothing wrong with the stockers. They really should last upwards of 50k miles or more too.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by marc8090
You'll get alot of people saying the stock wires are fine, and actually hard to improve on. I have MSD wires only because I had a stock wire break and didn't want to wait for the dealer to order a replacement.
stock=crap get the MSD's
Old 04-11-2011, 04:03 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
i am needing some new plug wires. what brands are best...and is there really that big of a differance between the brands?? any of them come in yellow...not a must,but would help dress up my engine bay a bit...
I installed the Magnacor wires. I am sorry I did. The AC Delco wires fit better and were [I think] better quality. The Magnacor wires are generic, whereas (the length varies by part number) but the AC Delco wires are specific and the terminals seem to be of better quality. The Magnacor wires did not have the correct angle at the plug, were the AC Delco wires have the correct angle. The Magnacor wires seemed to be about 1/2" too short, where the AC Delco wires were just the right length. The Magnacor wires were a little pricey, based on the generic fit and perceived quality. Next time, I am going back to the OEM AC Delco wires.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,585 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
The reason I asked about the headers is because I have a few friends on this forum who have had issues with the heat from the headers melting thier wires and causing shorts.
I dont have this problem with MSD wires.
I have the GM Parformance Wires and dont have any issues at all with heat or fit.

BC
Old 04-11-2011, 07:07 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee

BC
Best advice I've seen given all day. Save your $$$ for something that will actually give you performance increase or make the car look better (unless you are changing the wires for new colors.)

Get notified of new replies

To Plug wires

Quick Reply: Plug wires