C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got sights on a 05, any issues to be aware of?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 11:09 AM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Got sights on a 05, any issues to be aware of?

Moving up from my C3 possibly into a pristine 05 w/A4 Auto and Nav. With approx 40k miles.

Any known issues of the 05's that should be carefully reviewed?

Any major service points coming up that could be major costly?

Anything at all that would possibly sway me away from the 05 year?

Thanks and
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Look into the sticky section above talking about recalls.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 AM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BACNBLK
Moving up from my C3 possibly into a pristine 05 w/A4 Auto and Nav. With approx 40k miles.

Any known issues of the 05's that should be carefully reviewed?

Any major service points coming up that could be major costly?

Anything at all that would possibly sway me away from the 05 year?

Thanks and
Crankshaft pulley bolt coming loose is a big one! Do a search to see if your car falls in the vin number range of problematic vehicles.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I got my '05 A4 with the same mileage and pristine condition 6 months ago. It's been the best car I've ever owned and completely trouble-free. I got a vehicle history report from Gene Culley and it had every service report that had been done on it since it was new and it included 2 recalls that were fixed. The roof delaminating and the service active handling. You really should get a vehicle history report. I got one on 5 different cars I was considering and it's what convinced me to get the '05. It was like looking at a spotless police record.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:23 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Roof delaminating?

Steering lock issues?

Yikes, are these standard don't worry issues or run don't walk issues, boy hate having to make choices, aaaargghh!
Old 04-17-2011, 01:18 PM
gunterwalker
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a very late 05 (last week of production) and I have had only 1 issue. It was a leaky axle seal which isn't really a 05 issue but a GM issue. The 05's have a weaker rear but if you don't drag it or beat the ever living crap out of it I think you will be just fine. THere are a lot of ppl with superchargers with the stock rear that haven't blown it up so its not as bad as some try to make it appear. Have the car checked out and if you get it enjoy your car!!!

As far as roof delam that wasn't just a 05 issue. I don't have a clue about the steering lock but I know the dealer fixes those for free. There are TSB's. If it has the clear roof there are not roof issues. The crankshaft isssue was fixed before the year production was over as far as I know.

Last edited by gunterwalker; 04-17-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Thanks! Beautiful ride!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BACNBLK
Roof delaminating?

Steering lock issues?

Yikes, are these standard don't worry issues or run don't walk issues, boy hate having to make choices, aaaargghh!
Delamination of the roof is very serious, just make sure yours has had the repair done, and you're good.

The steering lock applies only to manual tranny '05's, so you're good.

The potential biggy is the harmonic balancer. Check your VIN. Only if your at 11039 or below, is this a more common problem.

My early '05 has had all the teething problems and engineering defects, and they've all been fixed. A daily driver, now 6and 1/2 years and 26K miles, it's better than new!
Old 04-17-2011, 02:04 PM
Greenstealth
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an early 05 and I also had the crank pulley bolt back out and ultimately destroy the crank itself. Gm picked up the MAJORITY of the tab. I also had an issue with the wiring harness to the fuel pump which turned into a headache. I don't think that issue was specific to the 05 model year.
Old 04-17-2011, 02:26 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Thanks guys, it s*cks when you have such beautiful costly rides and something like a pulley bolt can destroy it in seconds, damn!

Agreed, once things are settled in and resolved it's all a matter of forgive forget and enjoy!

Thanks
Old 04-17-2011, 03:01 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

As mentioned above, the differential has been a weak spot for those who put their cars through demanding competition events - several instances of exploding rear ends. The following year (06) model had an improved / strengthened unit. You will probably be fine as long as you don't do some super modding and add a lot of horsepower and then take it to the drag strip and beat the hell out of it.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:10 PM
Andy 53
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 05 A4 and it has been great. The only disappointment was having to replace the harmonic balancer. It was a bit expensive. Make sure that the harmonic balancer is turning true right before you buy it. After being replaced, mine has no visible runout. The "weak rear end" is not as big an issue for the A4 as it is for the manual transmission. If you beat it hard, you should expect to pay for extra repairs!

Andy
Old 04-17-2011, 06:39 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Thanks for all the input, it sounds like my two choices have been confirmed and narrowed down to a very clean , no mods , 06 Base model with tinted windows and less then 40k miles, kind of disappointed in no F55 or sport suspension but I guess Pfadt can fix that!

Get notified of new replies

To Got sights on a 05, any issues to be aware of?

Quick Reply: Got sights on a 05, any issues to be aware of?