C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B&B Headers/Xpipe/QTP cutouts.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by S'vette
how much did the cutouts cost you?
I think $249 direct, including controller and wiring, from Barry and team at www.quicktimeperformance.com

I go direct with Barry (owner) or Ray, I don't know if they offer a forum discount or not but worth asking.

My cutouts have been fantastic for almost 6 years now.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Had QTP cutouts installed by Florida Performance in Fort Lauderdale. Overall very pleased with the job Rob, the shop owner, did. This was his first C6 and he found a great place to put them and made the custom mandrel bent Y-pipes to maximize flow from the cutouts. We found no way to put them right after the collectors but they fit well by the trans. I have the DTE brace too but it wasn't in the way.

Installed the wiring myself along the drivers side rocker panel, behind seat then out the wheel well under the carpet. Removed the rear inner fender and drilled a small hole in the wheel well then ran the wire down to the cutouts. Hardest part is finding a hot wire when the ignition is on on these C6's. I ended up tapping the seat heater fuse as others here have done.

They are loud and DEEP when open at idle. I've actually heard louder exhaust though, I was kind of surprised they are not louder. I think it is because of the turn downs and the fact that I have cats and the pipes are pretty long before the cutouts. On the track they have a nice race car sound - I'd say like Borla Stingers plus 50%. When you open them at a stoplight you will turn heads, that's for sure.

Overall happy with the mod, it gives me quiet during my morning drive but loud when I'm at the track which is what I wanted.

Here is a video of idle with cutouts open and closed. The gain on the mike makes the closed sound much louder than it is, it's really quiet with factory mufflers even with my cam.

Here are some pics:

Old 09-08-2012, 01:07 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I think $249 direct, including controller and wiring, from Barry and team at www.quicktimeperformance.com

I go direct with Barry (owner) or Ray, I don't know if they offer a forum discount or not but worth asking.

My cutouts have been fantastic for almost 6 years now.
I have all the B&B stuff too, would the cutouts fit before the cats?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I have all the B&B stuff too, would the cutouts fit before the cats?
Not if you have long tube headers. If you have stock manifolds I've seen people fit the cutouts right behind the stock cats.

Personally I wouldn't want the hot exhaust there right underneath me potentially wafting up into the cabin. My exhaust exits behind the cabin and I don't notice any more exhaust smell with the cutouts open or closed. Notice I have turndowns on my cutouts, to keep the exhaust off the fiberglass leaf spring as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:00 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Not if you have long tube headers. If you have stock manifolds I've seen people fit the cutouts right behind the stock cats.

Personally I wouldn't want the hot exhaust there right underneath me potentially wafting up into the cabin. My exhaust exits behind the cabin and I don't notice any more exhaust smell with the cutouts open or closed. Notice I have turndowns on my cutouts, to keep the exhaust off the fiberglass leaf spring as well.
Yea I was looking for the most gains posssible by bypassing all the tubbing possible but guess not, thanks.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Yea I was looking for the most gains posssible by bypassing all the tubbing possible but guess not, thanks.
As I showed in my thread with dyno sheets,

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...-on-my-c6.html

The C6 stock mufflers are quite free flowing, the cutouts didn't matter at all at 381 rwhp, only 6 hp at 436 rwhp, and a similar amount 450 rwhp. I didn't bother doing an open and closed dyno at 472 rwhp.

At 500 rwhp the mufflers become restrictive based on the experience of my friends with c6 Z06's where their bypasses can matter to the tune of 20+ rwhp.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:01 AM
michaelmyers
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hammert85
Thanks for posting. This is the exact thread I was hoping to find and I have a couple questions for you...... I have the same setup as far as Long Tubes and catless X pipe mounted to the stock exhaust. First off, it is def not loud enough for me as I was expecting some more sound. Thus I am considering going with the cut-outs. My questions are do you notice an excessive smell of gas with them open and being closer to the cab? I can notice some smell right now but I don't have a tune yet and it is nothing horrible. Secondly where did you mount your switch and do you have the car tuned yet? Also how much did your shop charge for the cut-out install as I am trying to get a rough idea of the cost...... And if you have any videos that would be great if you can share! Thanks
Hey Hammert85,

Do you have a sound clip or video of your headers with cat less x pipe with stock axle back? I can't wait to do this plus with cutouts. I do enjoy having stock sound while on the highway or long trips. I just hate to spend extra on a z06, npp, or b&b fusion cat back. On the other hand, I can't imagine it being quiet compared to my prior 2000 trans am ls1 which had no cats,stock exhaust, and it roared!

Quick Reply: B&B Headers/Xpipe/QTP cutouts.