C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

● Small Cam & Heads LS2 over 500 at the tire ●

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C_Williams@RPM
I'm certain the meth is helping - but bear in mind, and going way back, when I did the tuning on Tony Mamo's AFR car we ended up making 484/437...and that was on a 5.7 without the benefit of meth.

What's the compression on this build? What gasket? Did you just cut the heads, or, did you reshape the combustion chamber also?
Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
What's the compression on this build? What gasket? Did you just cut the heads, or, did you reshape the combustion chamber also?
60 cc & reshaped chamber
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

So what came from the final tuning with the vac pump, etc? Stock water pump, mufflers, etc? Interested in hearing the details. Power is almost identical to mine but more low end tq. If its the meth that's the cause of the amazing tq can you share some timing information in the rpm range?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:16 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
So what came from the final tuning with the vac pump, etc? Stock water pump, mufflers, etc? Interested in hearing the details. Power is almost identical to mine but more low end tq. If its the meth that's the cause of the amazing tq can you share some timing information in the rpm range?
next week...too many other projects ate the past week up
Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 AM
c6_rob
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Charlie,

Im still interested in this setup and keeping tabs on this thread. I plan on purchasing parts form you (cam and accessories) and doing most of the install work myself, and bringing it to you for tuning.

I already have LT's, Intake, Your Tune, and Ported IM and TB.

How much for this daily driver, streetable cam package? Parts only?

How much for the head work if I bring you the heads? Turnaround Time?

Thanks!!
Old 06-24-2011, 10:24 AM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I wanted to develop a high horsepower, high torque package around our CNC 243 heads and so far, it’s looking good. This car makes a bunch of torque everywhere and nearly passes the sniffer.

This is a small cammed package meant for daily, Los Angeles traffic.

Present Combination..

243 CNC heads
Small 230’s cam
102 Fast
102 NW TB
LG headers
Labonte Meth system

Final tuning still needs to be done and I will also add our vacuum pump.

Vacuum Pump??? What is that? What function does it serve?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Nice results.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by sallen619
Vacuum Pump??? What is that? What function does it serve?
In short from what I read it helps relieve the crankcase pressure.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
gsx1300r
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

next week...too many other projects ate the past week up
Getting close / still watching and THANK YOU!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:13 PM
sallen619
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Old 07-09-2011, 03:52 PM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Quick Update:

I just picked up my car this past week from RPM after deciding to pull the trigger on there new H/C package. After seeing the heads that went on his first customers car, I couldn't wait to get them bolted onto mine.

Acceleration:
I had already driven another car with the same setup, but with a bit less tire on it than mine. And now with my car I really see the acceleration difference going through 1st and 2nd. It's gotta be close to a 3 sec. 0-60 time.

Driving "feel":
The amount of torque available between 1800 and 3000 is nothing like my previous setup(bolt-on's/400rwhp). And this is before the meth kicks in; right around 3k is where it starts. To me, for street driving this range is extremely important. That why I decided to go with this package vs. the others I have seen.

Sound:
Just IMMENSELY better. Just what I was looking for! I need to post up a sound clip of the idle. It's REAL deep sounding. I just love it when you pull up to a light and just sitting there at idle it sounds like it wants to eat the car that's next to it!

The final numbers are unknown at this point as the final tune hasn't been done with the vacuum pump in place, and the improved meth system on board. I could have waited another day or two for the final #'s, but I was told it was safe to drive...and I couldn't wait to drive it! Charlie and I both agreed a driving impression would be much more important than the final #'s. But as soon as I get a chance he's gonna put it on the dyno to see what she does.

The way the car sits now I feel really spoiled every time I drive it. This combination is ALL I was hoping for. This thing really runs like it should! Thanks Charlie
Old 07-10-2011, 06:07 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by debo
WOW!!! Great job on using the existing 243 heads to make more power. I love it...Keep us posted.
YES great power. 243 heads do it again
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice work Charlie! I have a friend who just purchased a pretty much stock (has cat back and long tubes) C6 and wants to do a head and cam swap. How much for the whole setup? Does it pass smog?
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Now that I've been able to drive the car with everything tuned up...I can't say enough about this set up. The car drives with near the same ease as the stock cam, but with some really decent benefits in sound and power

It just works so well, and sounds REALLY good! The car is truly unique thanks to the guys at RPM Motors: Charlie, Austin, and Edwin!

As a motorcycle road race engine builder myself, I checked out a lot of shops before I let anyone work on my LS. There is no replacement for experience, which is why I chose Charlie's shop. He has the answers, you just have to give him your budget and goal.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:11 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic
Now that I've been able to drive the car with everything tuned up...I can't say enough about this set up. The car drives with near the same ease as the stock cam, but with some really decent benefits in sound and power

It just works so well, and sounds REALLY good! The car is truly unique thanks to the guys at RPM Motors: Charlie, Austin, and Edwin!

As a motorcycle road race engine builder myself, I checked out a lot of shops before I let anyone work on my LS. There is no replacement for experience, which is why I chose Charlie's shop. He has the answers, you just have to give him your budget and goal.
Do you have the numbers of your tune? I am H/C and full bolt on with CNC'd 243 heads and want to make sure I'm in the same neighborhood as the majority of you. We read stories about these extremely well put together cars making >500 rwhp, but I want to see if I can come close in my own garage.

BTW, excellent build Charlie. I have read nothing but praise about your work.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
WHYASK
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charlie,
IM located in NOR CAL and very interested in your package whats the $$$ and would you recommend a shop up near Sacramento to do some of this work.. That torque curve is just insane and since this is my DD this setup looks to fit my needs ! Shoot me a PM

Thanks
BIG SARGE
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

...thanks...the car laid down over 525 with the vacuum pump and final tuning...I need to post the graph(s) and I will, hopefully overt this weekend.

Originally Posted by taken19
Do you have the numbers of your tune? I am H/C and full bolt on with CNC'd 243 heads and want to make sure I'm in the same neighborhood as the majority of you. We read stories about these extremely well put together cars making >500 rwhp, but I want to see if I can come close in my own garage.

BTW, excellent build Charlie. I have read nothing but praise about your work.

Get notified of new replies

To ● Small Cam & Heads LS2 over 500 at the tire ●

Old 07-30-2011, 12:56 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

I will put together the entire package coat and PM you this weekend. I will break it down completely so if you choose to wait on certain parts that you can easily see the cost differential...thanks...and this made over 525 RWHP with final tuning and the vacuum pump

Originally Posted by WHYASK
Charlie,
IM located in NOR CAL and very interested in your package whats the $$$ and would you recommend a shop up near Sacramento to do some of this work.. That torque curve is just insane and since this is my DD this setup looks to fit my needs ! Shoot me a PM

Thanks
BIG SARGE
Old 07-30-2011, 08:51 PM
srtrich
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

track times?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:19 PM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by srtrich
track times?

ask the owner when he comes on here, but i don't think that's gonna happen for awhile...

Quick Reply: ● Small Cam & Heads LS2 over 500 at the tire ●