C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My E85 experience - BASE LS3 MNL

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:06 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My cold starts are the same. FI might be the variable that is different for you however, it could also be a issue with the fuel system upgrades. A good tune would net you strong whp gains.

One thing that's nice is I have my tune files on the laptop and I can switch back to pump gas whenever I want. Another benefit from my tuner
Old 06-13-2011, 08:10 PM
vertC6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

If your going to do E85 you need to have your heads milled and ports cleaned up. You can run over 13.1 CR with E85 (105 octane) and make 30+ hp with the added CR. Believe it or not the EGT's actually gets cooler on E85 the higher CR you run.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:24 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Aren't there a few plastic parts that need to be replaced so you don't ruin the fuel system throughout the vehicle? I thought there were some parts that needed to be fitted to make a vehicle E85 capable..

I wish coskata and companies like it... would produce enough ethanol that we didn't need to import oil any longer..

If it didn't damage the vehicle and you could tune for it and produce the gains your showing......and it was available...I'd definitely be tuned for E85!

Thanks for the report...Something to look forward to for the future..

Let the arabs pound sand!
Old 06-14-2011, 05:36 AM
jdwk
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ethanol has less energy in it per volume than gasoline. Nothing will ever change that.

You can be more efficient by upping compression or advancing timing to take advantage of the octane, but it will never overcome the difference in energy content of the two fluids. It's not even close.

"Ethanol is a dream and a dumb one" -Daniel Tosh. Yeah, we have a lot of land that can grow inedible corn, but all we are doing is employing a profession that should have ended a century ago. Ever drink a regular Coke or Pepsi and a throw-back or Mexican canned soda. Sugar tastes a million times better. We drink crappy soda because our government is run by lobbyists, not by anyone who is making decisions to benefit their constituents. Do you think the "Informant" was completely fiction? Nothing is completely fiction.

And in response to the last post. The amount of land it would take to create enough corn to fuel America's cars is larger than the surface area of the Unites States. So start tilling your yard and driving about a quarter as much as you do now and maybe we won't need oil anymore.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:39 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
I personally think E85 is a very worth while mod. The only concern for anyone considering is availability of E85 in your area. In GA we have 14 stations and all are 20+ miles from me other than 1 that is in a direction I never travel. I'm itching to see what my H/C setup will do on E85 but I'm not driving out of my way to fill up on a regular basis. I also use the car for long trips so that becomes a drawback in my case as well.

Although boosted, the GTR guys are lovin' E85. I've heard in those applications they spool much faster and the tq gains are nuts.

For now I'm stuck with little ole 93 and envious of you MW folks in this regard.
Man, I've only got 91 to work with....
Old 06-15-2011, 02:46 AM
SpinMonster
Tech Contributor

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Meth injection sees the same gains without taxing fuel pump and injectors. You run 93 (or 91 where its the max) on the hiway and such without reduced range.

Having done both mods a number of times to N/A cars, I like low end TQ with E85 but the 115 octane without E85 station hunting is great.

The downside is the meth can fail. Mr Big had a failure and 1 car I did had a pump failure. Meth has a test feature to see if its working plus an idiot light.

E85 has some debatable issues but if you can tune in the huge injectors it needs especially for FI, its a great mod.

The tune basically just chages the stoic to 9.76 and then you adjust the timing table. Meth is the same for WOT but it lowers IATS on FI cars. E85 burns cooler than gasoline.

As to cold starts, its exaggerated. I know first hand.

Both alky control and snow performance sell N/A meth kits. I think Charlie has had great success with the labonte meth kit.
The following users liked this post:
rc51racer (10-12-2022)
Old 06-15-2011, 03:20 AM
HC Mechanic
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The Labonte kit is pretty good from my perspective. But I have been recently told that there are some areas that leave something to be desired in my current setup, as well as the other available kits. So a fix to those shortcomings are currently in the works...
Old 06-16-2011, 09:02 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by jdwk
Ethanol has less energy in it per volume than gasoline. Nothing will ever change that.

You can be more efficient by upping compression or advancing timing to take advantage of the octane, but it will never overcome the difference in energy content of the two fluids. It's not even close.

"Ethanol is a dream and a dumb one" -Daniel Tosh. Yeah, we have a lot of land that can grow inedible corn, but all we are doing is employing a profession that should have ended a century ago. Ever drink a regular Coke or Pepsi and a throw-back or Mexican canned soda. Sugar tastes a million times better. We drink crappy soda because our government is run by lobbyists, not by anyone who is making decisions to benefit their constituents. Do you think the "Informant" was completely fiction? Nothing is completely fiction.

And in response to the last post. The amount of land it would take to create enough corn to fuel America's cars is larger than the surface area of the Unites States. So start tilling your yard and driving about a quarter as much as you do now and maybe we won't need oil anymore.
Did you just quote Danial Tosh? Lol

I could care less boss... It's legal to purchas and it nets more whp... Not looking past it any further than that. Hope the thread doesn't start to flood with commets like this.

I look forward to update my E85 conversion experince when I get back from vacation! Take care everyone!
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 PM
abazaba410
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tempting. But Im worried about long term effects. Id love those gains though.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,182 Likes on 682 Posts

That curve gains 50 ft-lbs in places. I'd definitely give that some consideration if availability were better.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

E85 is awesome stuff, just tune the car for it and away you go. The FI guys love it for sure, as you can wind up the boost, and no worry so much about detonation.
I'll be seriously looking at it for mine, and researching that there's the pumps available for me to use it consistently, or have an ECU that I can easily switch between E85 and 93 as needed.

Its interesting to see people modify throttle bodies, MAF sensors etc etc, when they aren't producing enough horsepower to warrant it, but dont do something thats as simple as using a different pump at the gas station.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:34 PM
SteveRiellyNZ
Instructor

I've never heard of long term effects. Older car's maybe, and I mean around 2000 and earlier maybe would have an issue, but anything 1/2 modern would use quality parts ( fuel lines, injectors etc etc ) that wouldn't have issues with E85.

Just tune to make the most of it, else you are really wasting your time.

Originally Posted by abazaba410
Tempting. But Im worried about long term effects. Id love those gains though.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:58 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Project CTS-V Stinger R is our E85 setup build with our Stinger Ram Air Induction system and LPE pulleys, Katech intercooler, ZR1 cam, Katech titanium retainers and PSI springs, FAST injectors, and E85 fuel.

This pull was abbreviated due to injector sizing. 3200 rpm to 5300 rpm:

First pull show the increase from the stock CTS-V. The pull was aborted when we ran out of injector (65lb/hr too small) at 5300 rpm. 6500 is the power shut-off so the 15 PSI will likely be 17 PSI at 6500 rpm tomorrow.

The is an automatic with bone stock exhaust. No headers, no change in mufflers.

770 HP should be the flywheel horsepower. Amazing motors, especially with cast pistons.

We have all of our vehicles on an E85 diet including our 2950 lbs 700 HP Z06. Over two years on E85 and still lovin it!

You'll love the fuel and the cost.

Jim

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 06-17-2011, 12:57 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

This has been on my todo list for a bit. I wish there was more than one station here that sells it. Without having to drive 40 miles.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:57 AM
ttbestas
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinMonster
Meth injection sees the same gains without taxing fuel pump and injectors. You run 93 (or 91 where its the max) on the hiway and such without reduced range.

Having done both mods a number of times to N/A cars, I like low end TQ with E85 but the 115 octane without E85 station hunting is great.

The downside is the meth can fail. Mr Big had a failure and 1 car I did had a pump failure. Meth has a test feature to see if its working plus an idiot light.

E85 has some debatable issues but if you can tune in the huge injectors it needs especially for FI, its a great mod.

The tune basically just chages the stoic to 9.76 and then you adjust the timing table. Meth is the same for WOT but it lowers IATS on FI cars. E85 burns cooler than gasoline.

As to cold starts, its exaggerated. I know first hand.

Both alky control and snow performance sell N/A meth kits. I think Charlie has had great success with the labonte meth kit.
So when doing small mods, like intake + headers how much more timming you can add on top for stock car if running e85. i know every car is different, but id like to know is it 1-2 degrees or even more? thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by ttbestas
So when doing small mods, like intake + headers how much more timming you can add on top for stock car if running e85. i know every car is different, but id like to know is it 1-2 degrees or even more? thanks
Great question. I will have my Tuner get on here and help with some of the technical questions once he gets back from vacation.

Car is running great and still no ill side effects. I am doing a data log this week to see if anything needs to be adjusted.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:38 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a nice tune , congrats ! Ohh yeah what E85 ? lol

Get notified of new replies

To My E85 experience - BASE LS3 MNL

Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM
LT1_E85_Corvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Looks like a nice tune , congrats ! Ohh yeah what E85 ? lol
LOL - Someone told me it's 85% moonshine!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:51 PM
staticki
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I just put a cam into my car and was seriously considering this--only would need bigger injectors as the stock pump should suffice.

You had some awesome gains on a N/A car.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:54 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for posting...great thread!

Your chosen forum name however....

Quick Reply: My E85 experience - BASE LS3 MNL