C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 base brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 base brakes

I'm looking at purchasing a new 2011 coupe LT1 I have a question about the standard brakes. I had a 09 coupe with Z51. The calipers on the base 2011 brakes look the same as my Z51 brakes, but are the rotors the same ? Other than the Z51 are slotted/drilled?
I would atleast put slotted/drilled rotors on it if I buy it. Is there an upgrade setup to make them more powerful without changing the wheel size?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

If you are looking for new rotors, take a look at these. They are lite and last a long time.

http://shop.performanceafx.com/C6-Z51-Corvette_c15.htm
Old 07-19-2011, 02:18 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sillyme
I'm looking at purchasing a new 2011 coupe LT1 I have a question about the standard brakes. I had a 09 coupe with Z51. The calipers on the base 2011 brakes look the same as my Z51 brakes, but are the rotors the same ? Other than the Z51 are slotted/drilled?
I would atleast put slotted/drilled rotors on it if I buy it. Is there an upgrade setup to make them more powerful without changing the wheel size?
Thanks in advance.
Z51 rotors are larger than base. they use differnt carriers and the rear caliper has a smaller piston (for better balance) than that of the base model.

The Z06 brakes or willwood will fit under stock rims with a spacer and longer lugs, but its not recommended.

Upgrading the cooling ducts, running more aggressive pads, better rotors either higher quality 1piece or going to two piece rotors, then adding stainless steel lines and better fluid will upgrade what you have under the stock rims
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

You can go up to Z51 without changing wheels.

Just to give you an idea.....here's a link to one of our vendors, partstaxi.com. The 1st item listed is the AC Delco drilled and slotted, direct replacement rotors for base C6, $273.16........The 3rd item listed is the Z51 upgrade kit with drilled (only) rotors plus brackets, $499.68.

http://www.partstaxi.com/partlocator...subcat2=167752
Old 07-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
You can go up to Z51 without changing wheels.

Just to give you an idea.....here's a link to one of our vendors, partstaxi.com. The 1st item listed is the AC Delco drilled and slotted, direct replacement rotors for base C6, $273.16........The 3rd item listed is the Z51 upgrade kit with drilled (only) rotors plus brackets, $499.68.

http://www.partstaxi.com/partlocator...subcat2=167752
Thanks! Thats what I was looking for.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM
thatonedude1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The base 2011 has an option for larger drilled rotors. A $500 option and standard with F55 magnetic ride. Not sure how they compare to the Z51, I think the calipers are pretty basic especially compared to the monster brakes on the GS.

Coss-drilled brake rotors Close[X]

Engine performance is important, but stopping power is critical. For this reason, larger cross-drilled brake rotors, 13.4" front and 12.8" rear, are available on the Corvette® Coupe and Convertible. Cross drilling dissipates heat more quickly. Also included with Magnetic Selective Ride Control.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
The base 2011 has an option for larger drilled rotors. A $500 option and standard with F55 magnetic ride. Not sure how they compare to the Z51, I think the calipers are pretty basic especially compared to the monster brakes on the GS.

Coss-drilled brake rotors Close[X]

Engine performance is important, but stopping power is critical. For this reason, larger cross-drilled brake rotors, 13.4" front and 12.8" rear, are available on the Corvette® Coupe and Convertible. Cross drilling dissipates heat more quickly. Also included with Magnetic Selective Ride Control.
I have seen that larger brake option, but the car i'm looking at doesnt have them. Just thought I would see if I could install the larger brakes if I end up buying it. Looks like they are available.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:59 PM
hondaamer
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sillyme
Thanks in advance.
Are you going to track the car or is it just for the street? I had a Z51 '06 and have a base '10 now and there is no real difference between them on the street. It all depends on what you are going to do with it.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Sillyme
Racer

Originally Posted by hondaamer
Are you going to track the car or is it just for the street? I had a Z51 '06 and have a base '10 now and there is no real difference between them on the street. It all depends on what you are going to do with it.
I'm not into tracking the car. Just normal driving with a blast on the gas now & then.
My 09 with Z51 had pretty powerful brakes. I like the feel of stong brakes. I know the GS and Z06 are better, but the Z51 set up worked quite well for every day driving.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 base brakes

Quick Reply: C6 base brakes