C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 07:55 PM
gunone
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150mph

why does my car feel like it shuts down then takes off at 150mph?
Old 08-05-2011, 08:24 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

auto or manual? rev limiter in 4th is right around 150. i have a 6spd so i cant say where the shift points are in the auto. but i would say it might be a lag in shifting or something.

does your traction/active handling light come on? once i changed my tires (differnt sizes from stock) at high speeds it will turn on the traction control. some times it stays on and i cant speed up till i turn it off.

Last edited by smurfkiller; 08-05-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:37 PM
gunone
Advanced

07 z06 i did change the tires and yes it happens in 4 gear .it feels like the breaks come on or something
Old 08-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

The tire diameters from front to rear have to maintain the same relationship as the stock setup. If you have TC on you probably have a slightly smaller diameter in the rear than you should have and that triggers TC at that speed. Turn off TC and see if it happens. The front to rear ratio is 1.0429 which is the stock rear diameter (26.7) divided by the stock front diameter (25.6). If your new tires have a smaller ratio than this there is a high likelihood the TC will trigger.

Bill
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

the sound barrier causes this. lol
Old 08-06-2011, 01:42 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The tire diameters from front to rear have to maintain the same relationship as the stock setup. If you have TC on you probably have a slightly smaller diameter in the rear than you should have and that triggers TC at that speed. Turn off TC and see if it happens. The front to rear ratio is 1.0429 which is the stock rear diameter (26.7) divided by the stock front diameter (25.6). If your new tires have a smaller ratio than this there is a high likelihood the TC will trigger.

Bill
Agreed, founds this out at the track. In my case it happens right around 100. I am .9 between frong and rear.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:56 PM
gunone
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
i really dont under stand the ratio but the front and the rears are 19 inch
Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Take your rear tire height and divide it by your front tire height. That will give you your ratio.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM
gunone
Advanced

Originally Posted by TMyers
Take your rear tire height and divide it by your front tire height. That will give you your ratio.
ok but i think they are the same
Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 PM
gunone
Advanced

Originally Posted by TMyers
front 26 rear 26.5
Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Try what is stated above. Turn off TC and give it hell
Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
TMyers
Race Director

Originally Posted by Tim05C6Z51
Try what is stated above. Turn off TC and give it hell
Old 08-07-2011, 11:42 AM
abstruse1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, no, you guys got it all wrong. It's the "Hoshit!" factor.

Here's how it works -- one's accelerating nicely, enjoying the scenery and eyeballing the tach, when all of a sudden, the speedo comes into view and the brain says "Hoshit!" and subconscious reflexes cause the right foot to lift. Then, the conscious mind takes over and says to put the pedal back to the metal (fiberglass?) and the car accelerates again.

As of this time, medical science knows no cure for this other than covering the eyes or the speedo. Most doctors advise the latter. Most funeral directors advise the former. Take your choice.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:56 PM
gunone
Advanced

Originally Posted by abstruse1

Here's how it works -- one's accelerating nicely, enjoying the scenery and eyeballing the tach, when all of a sudden, the speedo comes into view and the brain says "Hoshit!" and subconscious reflexes cause the right foot to lift. Then, the conscious mind takes over and says to put the pedal back to the metal (fiberglass?) and the car accelerates again.

As of this time, medical science knows no cure for this other than covering the eyes or the speedo. Most doctors advise the latter. Most funeral directors advise the former. Take your choice.
the only thing my brain is telling me is 200mph which is kinda hard when the brakes or traction control comes on.im really looking to solve my problem with this issue not wast my time with your b/s
Old 08-07-2011, 07:59 PM
glass slipper
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by gunone
the only thing my brain is telling me is 200mph which is kinda hard when the brakes or traction control comes on.im really looking to solve my problem with this issue not wast my time with your b/s
While I understand your frustration with the problem you're having, I think you would do well to have a little sense of humor when you visit the forums here. Since you're still fairly new, think of the forums as the same place you'd be hanging out with your buddies drinking beer and talking cars...there's always somebody who's going to crack a joke and everybody laughs, has a swig of beer, and continues the serious discussion. Life goes a lot better with laughter and beer.

PS You never know, the guy above just might have the answer to your next question that nobody else gets...

Last edited by glass slipper; 08-07-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 PM
BigNY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by glass slipper
While I understand your frustration with the problem you're having, I think you would do well to have a little sense of humor when you visit the forums here. Since you're still fairly new, think of the forums as the same place you'd be hanging out with your buddies drinking beer and talking cars...there's always somebody who's going to crack a joke and everybody laughs, has a swig of beer, and continues the serious discussion. Life goes a lot better with laughter and beer.

PS You never know, the guy above just might have the answer to your next question that nobody else gets...
This. While I'm as "boot" as it comes to this forum, having been a member to every message board to every hobby I've ever had, I can safely say that a sense of humor and a smile goes a long way on these kinds of sites. And near as I can tell, the ***** and giggles seem to be in no short supply here, as opposed to another website concerning a certain high performance GT car pumped out by a now defunkt GM subsidiary..... hope I didn't make that one too hard to figure out

Anyways, you should be driving with the traction control off anyways, electronic nannies are just that, nannies....
Old 08-07-2011, 10:41 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

the front to rear ratio for the tire diameters is off. this cannot currently be reprogrammed to fix the issue. Supposedly there is a 3% tolerance for the difference, but I wouldn't put it that far. Try to get tires that have a diameter similar to or at least similar in ratio (front to rear) to the stock tires. otherwise the computer will kick in the controls and add the braking you are noticing. the comments about turning the system off are correct, but thats only a workaround. using the right diameter tires (not talking about the rim size - but rather the tire's outer diameter) is what is necessary.

hope this helps

Last edited by el es tu; 08-07-2011 at 11:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 150mph

Old 08-07-2011, 11:12 PM
SoonerC6
Racer

Haha well done sir. ^^^
Old 08-08-2011, 07:04 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Old 08-08-2011, 07:49 AM
MARSC6
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Use this calculator to compare tires http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

Keep the ratio between front and rear as close to stock as possible.

Quick Reply: 150mph