C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Question higher gear pulls

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Received 362 Likes on 203 Posts

Default Clutch Question higher gear pulls

Ok, my clutch does not slip, and feels good. no problems with a quick burst or anything.

BUT if i say kick it on the highway 4th gear run, and maybe some 5th... the clutch pedal gets squishy for the first 1/2 of the pedal or so.... but once you let out and push it once or twice its fine again??

the car is not slipping the clutch. holds good. so confused on what would casue this.???

clutch fluid is not dirty.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:17 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Also a note, I do not have the clutch pedal spring installed, and I am not talking about slamming a gear and then it does this. I can have it in 4th and make a pull from say 3000-6500 and it pulls good. no slipping or reving. but when i go to push the clutch in at 6500 it works but the pressure is not at the top... shift to 5th nice and easy and roll into it and its a little worse after some 5th gear running. Car makes 438 to the wheels. has 50k on it, (just turned.)

Last edited by mittens; 10-07-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

really 62 views and no replies.??
Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Replace spring and see.

Do a series of clutch fluid change outs and see.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:28 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

The higher the gear, the more the strain on the clutch from a disadvantage mechanically and because of mechanics. It doesn't sound like your clutch is full on slipping, but it sounds to me like it is starting to slightly and the slippage creates heat which weaken the diaphragm springs and doesn't allow them to function properly fully disengaging the clutch. I'd recommend a replacement before it does any damage to the the tranny from grinding while trying to shift fast as it'll only get worse.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

I recall a thread several years back regarding the early C6's (I had an 05 MN6).

The thread was in regards to the clutch going to the floor at times due to losing fluid pressure at high RPM's (or something of that nature). Do a search.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 AM
mittens
Melting Slicks

did a search and all teh threads are all about clean fluid...
Old 10-13-2011, 02:30 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

also not sure how the clutch can KINDA slip on the higher gears... i would think if the clutch let go at all under power, its going ot let go the rest of the way... its takes more power to make the clutch slip in the first place then to take a already slipping clutch and spin it to red line.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:33 PM
LEAVINU
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I do numerous airstrip events and had issues like this at 500rwhp. Swapping out the stock LS7 clutch for a real aftermarket clutch eliminated that problem. No more clutch drama for me when running cars with 100+ more hp.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:47 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by mittens
also not sure how the clutch can KINDA slip on the higher gears... i would think if the clutch let go at all under power, its going ot let go the rest of the way... its takes more power to make the clutch slip in the first place then to take a already slipping clutch and spin it to red line.
You are on the verge of over powering it, there is more strain from increased aero drag and reduced gearing multiplication to propel the car at higher speeds/gears causing it to be more noticeable. Does it still chirp the tires when shifting?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
You are on the verge of over powering it, there is more strain from increased aero drag and reduced gearing multiplication to propel the car at higher speeds/gears causing it to be more noticeable. Does it still chirp the tires when shifting?
My clutch has 60K miles on it and when I'm shifting into 5th at WOT ,the pedal is usually only half way up....just like my drag race launches. The combination of making full power ( low IAT, plus ram air effect), along with the aero drag, causes the pressure plate to heat up and give me the symptoms of a drag race launch. No doubt the clutch is starting to slip in this extreme speed environment creating heat and deforming the pressure plate fingers. I can get the same thing rev matching my downshifts and engine braking for corners during HPDE's
Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by mittens
Ok, my clutch does not slip, and feels good. no problems with a quick burst or anything.

BUT if i say kick it on the highway 4th gear run, and maybe some 5th... the clutch pedal gets squishy for the first 1/2 of the pedal or so.... but once you let out and push it once or twice its fine again??

the car is not slipping the clutch. holds good. so confused on what would casue this.???

clutch fluid is not dirty.
Mine does the same thing. Been doing it for years, and currently has 57,436 daily driving (stop and go) and 449 hard drag strip runs on it.

Nothing a couple of pumps of the pedal can't cure.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:04 PM
mittens
Melting Slicks

Yea mine will still chirp 2nd and 3rd... And it goes away after you pump the pedal once.. Just wondered what it was... I understand it more strain and stuff I know how the whole clutch work been there a few times replacing on my trans am... Just still think if it slips at all the power would spin up to red line not still hold like normal... But who knows I have been wrong before.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Question higher gear pulls

Quick Reply: Clutch Question higher gear pulls