C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

saving power

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM
CleoLee
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default saving power

I have a 2007 Z06. During the winter, I'm not likely to drive the car a great deal, and I don't want the battery to die. I've heard that while a battery manager can help in this regard, they can be dangerous because they can sometimes overcharge a battery and cause an explosion. Can someone help me with thoughts and/or ideas on this subject, please? Thanks, Tony.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by CleoLee
I have a 2007 Z06. During the winter, I'm not likely to drive the car a great deal, and I don't want the battery to die. I've heard that while a battery manager can help in this regard, they can be dangerous because they can sometimes overcharge a battery and cause an explosion. Can someone help me with thoughts and/or ideas on this subject, please? Thanks, Tony.
I have four of the Harbor Freight float chargers that usually run around $10-$12 but are on sale all the time for around $6. I keep them on my 56 Vette and my 64 vette year round and on my mower during the winter(5 months) and on my 09 Z06 when ever I'm not going to be driving it for at least 3 weeks. No blown batteries in the past 8-10 years I've been using them.

But, I've found that they do not work very well if you forget to plug them in.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:45 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

I, too, use the HF chargers and have them on multiple cars and motorcycles and a standby generator. No problems for 4+ years.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 208 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

CTEK, Deltran and Schumacher all make Battery Tenders that will safely maintain your battery without overcharging it.

You can even get one from CTEK with a Corvette logo on it if you want to pay extra.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:34 AM
CleoLee
Navigator

Thanks for the responses. That's helpful. I'm just a little concerned about plugging something into my car that might cause the battery to blow up like I've heard. I'll probably look into the companies you folks recommended. Thanks again.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:21 AM
oldmansan
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by **** Jockey
CTEK, Deltran and Schumacher all make Battery Tenders that will safely maintain your battery without overcharging it.

You can even get one from CTEK with a Corvette logo on it if you want to pay extra.

I have a Deltran and it's very nice. I use it to charge my C6 and my Lotus Exige S.

The Harbor Freight charger I picked up specifically stated it was not to be used with AGM batteries. I gave it to a friend.

San
Old 11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I use a BatteryTender Plus on my C6 whenever it is going to sit for more than a couple of days. It's built to not overcharge and shifts to a trickle maintenance charge after it has charged the battery. I never had any problems with it.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:37 PM
CleoLee
Navigator

A mechanic I trust suggested/recommended a Battery MINDer charger/maintainer. I would really like to avoid going through the hastle of resetting all the electronics, but he suggested unhooking the battery when putting it on the charger/maintainer. For those of you who use this kind of device, do you leave the battery hooked up to your car while having it on the maintainer, or do you unhook it? And with my Z06, the battery is in the back. The car's handbook states that when charging the battery (if it goes dead), you're suppose to hook up the battery cables to another place under the hood that is covered by a plastic enclosure. Should I hook the maintainer up to the battery directly, or where I would hook it up if "jumping" the battery when dead? Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

A mechanic I trust suggested/recommended a Battery MINDer charger/maintainer. I would really like to avoid going through the hastle of resetting all the electronics, but he suggested unhooking the battery when putting it on the charger/maintainer. For those of you who use this kind of device, do you leave the battery hooked up to your car while having it on the maintainer, or do you unhook it? And with my Z06, the battery is in the back. The car's handbook states that when charging the battery (if it goes dead), you're suppose to hook up the battery cables to another place under the hood that is covered by a plastic enclosure. Should I hook the maintainer up to the battery directly, or where I would hook it up if "jumping" the battery when dead? Thanks.
I have a Battery Tender. I leave it connected to the car for months in the winter. I never take off the battery cables. Has been good for the past five yrs
Old 12-03-2011, 03:09 PM
CleoLee
Navigator

Thanks, Driver. What about where to hook it up? Since the proper way to jump the batter is to hook up the battery cables to the other spot under the hood, rather than the battery, is it better to hook the maintainer up to the battery directly, or to where you would hook the battery cables when jumping the battery when dead?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:20 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Thanks, Driver. What about where to hook it up? Since the proper way to jump the batter is to hook up the battery cables to the other spot under the hood, rather than the battery, is it better to hook the maintainer up to the battery directly, or to where you would hook the battery cables when jumping the battery when dead?
Under the hood, on the driver's side, there is a fuse box. Connect the red alligator clamp from the float charger to the large lug under the fuse box lid, Then connect the lack alligator clamp to the frame ground attachment point that is located between the fuse box and the oil reservoir. Then plug the float charger in. Don't close the hood all the way, let it rest on the springs. Next time you go to drive the car, the hood being partially raised will remind you that the float charger is connected.

You don't need to access the battery in the rear to connect the float charger.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have a C6 coupe, not a Z06, so i just connect directly to the battery posts under the hood.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Olddudesrule
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Deltran Battery Tenders on all my non-daily driver cars and motorcycles for the last 15 years. You have absolutely nothing to worry about hooking your car up to one. It is an extremely low amp charger, and will not over charge any battery. I have the Z hooked up under the hood, as has been described above. It will take 10 minutes to do, and you're ready to go.

Get notified of new replies

To saving power

Quick Reply: saving power