C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

100 octane fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 02:13 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
Just out of curiousty, Marc, the OP, and others... What do the pumps that offer 100 octane gas charge per gallon? How many stations are there around you guys that you could go fill up at?
Not sure, the one station that I was at most recently (last month) didn't have the price on top of the pump like the other grades do and I didn't think to ask them, but I am curious. Their Ultra 93 was $3.35/gallon at the time so I'd assume the 100 was at least $4.00 more than that.
I know of roughly three different stations that have it, they're not all that close to me but certainly within an hour or two.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:30 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Not sure, the one station that I was at most recently (last month) didn't have the price on top of the pump like the other grades do and I didn't think to ask them, but I am curious. Their Ultra 93 was $3.35/gallon at the time so I'd assume the 100 was at least $4.00 more than that.
I know of roughly three different stations that have it, they're not all that close to me but certainly within an hour or two.

Thanks, Marc.

Our tracks offer race gas in the unleaded 103-104 octane range for around $9 a gallon. It's not worth it for me. I'l just keep my 93 tune that is safe on the dyno, and bump up the meth slightly if I need to. It might slow me down a tad, but not worth risking a lean condition. 100 octane would be awesome out of the pump for $6-7.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 AM
JUIC3D
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Tech Contributor
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14

Just for comparison, my local Chevron has 104 unleaded and 110 leaded at the pump.

They are both priced at $9.49/gallon.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

Just out of curiousty, Marc, the OP, and others... What do the pumps that offer 100 octane gas charge per gallon? How many stations are there around you guys that you could go fill up at?

I'm just curious with the issues regarding E85 and Government subsidies. I honestly haven't kept up with it in about a month, but I'm wondering if this stuff will make its way down here. Since an E85 fuel system requires a lot more injector, and burns 30-40% more fuel, I would be completely willing to tune my car on 100, and run it on 93 everyday without any boost with meth. Then just fill it up with 100 octane when I want to race somebody or go to the track. Makes more sense to me if you can get similar gas milage during cruise at 70mph on the freeway(stock gears) and easy driving in the city while keeping 93 in the car.
Can you get E85 where you are. We can't even get that right now. Quantico has it but I have been told they closed the pumps down for public use. I had planned on running my race car on it but I am not so sure now, it is just too difficult to get.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:59 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Justin, Yes, we can get E85 where I am at. However, it is not real common. Most of the suburburbian Krogers outside the inner city have them, and just a couple other spots. I know Dallas has places, and I think HEB opened a few around Autin and San Antonio.

The problem with it, is that in Texas, we have to travel hundreds of miles from one city to the next. Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas are all 170-250 miles away. The fuel economy isn't what bothers me with it, but I don't like the idea of being stranded miles from the nearest E85 station since not everybody has it.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:38 AM
LS1LT1
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just out of curiousty, Marc, the OP, and others... What do the pumps that offer 100 octane gas charge per gallon?
Ok, found out how much it costs at the one Sunoco station that I pass by once in a while, $8.99 per gallon. Not cheap but not crazy high either considering that Ultra 93 is up to $3.65+ per gallon up here now.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Ok, found out how much it costs at the one Sunoco station that I pass by once in a while, $8.99 per gallon. Not cheap but not crazy high either considering that Ultra 93 is up to $3.65+ per gallon up here now.
It's $10/gal at PBIR...and I just paid $3.99 for 93 at my local station

I listen to internet radio and heard yesterday on a Utah station gas was $2.97. Not sure why FL gas is so high now...we are normally about 10c higher than other places but this is nuts.

Wait a minute, duhh...it's season here. The tourists are here. That's why. What was I thinking.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:08 AM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

What a ridiculous bunch of comments.Everyone is an expert.Tthe car was not built to run 100 octane so dont use it .Its really that simple.Here we have a guy with no knowledge just quoting what he read somewhere and the other guy excusing himself for bad word choices.Just tell the guy dont put 100 octane fuel in your tank thats it!Keep it simple guys.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:22 PM
oysteinrogne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking.... Don't want to drive all the way to the race tracks. Also not interested in buying a whole drum.
Anybody know a gas station on the North side of HOUSTON that sells it at the pumps?
Old 11-10-2013, 10:51 PM
2005 Dan
Heel & Toe

I don't know what the Sunoco stations in other parts of the country are selling for race gas at their pumps but here in MI I get my race gas at the Sunoco station and it is VP 110. It's marked 100 octane at the pump but you have to look at the octane formula they use. The VP 110 using the same formula they use for the 91 and 93 octane pump gas is actually 113 octane. I pay $6.75/gallon for it here, and NO I DO NOT use it in my C-6, I use it in my S-10 Bracket racer. The VP 110 is a leaded gasoline that WILL incinerate your cats on a motor that is designed and engineered to run on unleaded gasoline. As a side note unless you are running a compression ratio of over 12:1 the extra octane isn't going to do a damned thing for you, except lighten your wallet a little quicker.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 PM
2005 Dan
Heel & Toe

Here's the link to the VP racing fuels that a lot of the Sunoco stations sell. The VP 110 is the most common you will find at the "racing gas" pump at Sunoco.http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing
Old 11-10-2013, 11:33 PM
AIR_RAM
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

As mentioned above, octane level is the fuels ability to withstand ignition... I have always gone by running the LOWEST octane possible to prevent pr-ignition. Any higher of an octane is a waste of money and to high of an octane level could actually hurt performance. All factory engines are built to run on a specific octane level. Our factory cars where built to run 91-93 octane, so thats what we should be running. Modifications and tuning may change that requirement.

If your getting KR with 91 octane and pan to mix 100 octane race fuel with the 91 octane in your tank, you may want to be a bit scientific about it. Make note of the amount of KR and systematically adjust the ratio until you have none. This will give you an idea of what your octane needs / requirement are.

As for the RP, on a bone stock car; 91 - 93 Octane is all you should need.

SPEED SAFE, AIR RAM

Quick Reply: 100 octane fuel?