C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Headers for 2008 C6?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 PM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Best Headers for 2008 C6?

I've been looking around to have long tube headers installed on my 2008 C6. I already have an intake and cat-back exhaust. I want headers with the cats installed, so I can keep it emissions legal in Pennsylvania. Any thoughts on the best setup? Also, would tuning be required after installation?
Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really not much difference in performance between the different brands. If you go with cheap Chinese knockoffs your performance would be comparable. But are risking fit issues and lack of customer service if something is wrong.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, you'll need tuning for it to run it's best and likely to turn off code that are thrown from installing them, even if you run cats.

I put on a $300 set of headers/x-pipe I found on Ebay about 3.5 years ago and have been going good for the last 50k miles. They're no longer made/sold so I can't recommend them, unfortunately.

Like mentioned, there's not much difference in performance. As far as quality, it has been proven here that the quality of the "Mirage" longtubes is junk. Definitely stay away from those.

Currently the best price for a catted setup is OBX. Have heard nothing but good things about them.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:33 PM
superscout03
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctusser
Really not much difference in performance between the different brands. If you go with cheap Chinese knockoffs your performance would be comparable. But are risking fit issues and lack of customer service if something is wrong.
In my opinion LG motorsports has the headers you need. EXTREMELY well crafted and high grade stainless everything. It is true that most are comparable performace wise (for the mods that you have) but as you build more I have seen LG produce better across the board. But just dont buy cheap knock-off crap, Is a headache and they are never made with higher grade materials. (kinda like buying stainlees steel headers and finding out the runners are stainless but the flange is steel and about a year later you have the welds cracking) or the classic cheap chrome plated headers that flake off and rust. Go all stainless down to the last bolt.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using American Racing headers on my cars of late and the installer is always amazed by the quality, fitment and ease of installation. I've been very happy with them. They sound fantastic, and while I haven't done a before and after dyno tune, my SOTP
dyno says the car is faster.

I've also heard from some vendor who has said the LG has been using cheaper quality materials lately. Not sure if that is true, but it has been what I've been hearing.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Jet
I've been using American Racing headers on my cars of late and the installer is always amazed by the quality, fitment and ease of installation.
I have them on my 07, quality is awesome plus tech support is great, they know what they're talking about and know how to make great performing headers. I know there are other great header manufacturers but I can only comment on ARH.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by j_digi454
I have them on my 07, quality is awesome plus tech support is great, they know what they're talking about and know how to make great performing headers. I know there are other great header manufacturers but I can only comment on ARH.
Yes - customer service. I forgot about that. My install says that they are one of the best he has delt with, and when I've called them in advance to discuss my exhaust options, they were more than willing to take the time to answer all of my questions and even check with me on some things I hadn't thought about.

American Racing is top-notch all the way.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 PM
RabidVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently running WCC longtubes because the car I bought came with them on it. No problems with them. I put LG SuperPros on my last car ('08 LS3) and loved them. Top-notch quality. Things may have changed, but at the time I bought them right when they came out, they were claimed to make more power than any other header on the market. Beautiful design and merge collectors.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

I'm curious how involved a C6 header swap is ?

Does it require any lifting of the engine or dropping of the cradle ? or is it just a simple swap/bolt-on ?
Old 02-21-2012, 04:06 PM
RabidVette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
I'm curious how involved a C6 header swap is ?

Does it require any lifting of the engine or dropping of the cradle ? or is it just a simple swap/bolt-on ?
Nope, it's about as simple as it gets on a C6. Simple bolt-on.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Pretty simple.

If you've never done headers on any car before just plan 6-8 hours working at an easy pace figuring things out as you go along.

If you've done it before you can do it in half the time.

It's not a hard swap.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Waddya think of KOOKS?... I'm using the 1 3/4 long tube catted and picked up .3 in the 1/4 mile with just the exhaust upgrade...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68
Pretty simple.

If you've never done headers on any car before just plan 6-8 hours working at an easy pace figuring things out as you go along.

If you've done it before you can do it in half the time.

It's not a hard swap.
Oh, I've done plenty of header installs before... just not on anything "new"
The last few were Big Block Chevys and had to be in place before the motor went in.
Starter removal meant the engine had to come out.

A simple C6 install will be a refreshing change for me.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:16 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

OBX here. Love them. Fit and finish is great.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:44 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Originally Posted by jpee
Waddya think of KOOKS?... I'm using the 1 3/4 long tube catted and picked up .3 in the 1/4 mile with just the exhaust upgrade...
Kooks are just as good as any other header.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
OBX here. Love them. Fit and finish is great.
OBX's have been on my radar lately, always hear good things about them and are nearly half the price of name brand. If I were to buy headers again I'd give them a try.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

LG super pro 1 7/8, ummmmmmm I'd hate to tell you the hell I have gone thru. But now they are fine. The headers are awsome but x-pipe was the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Best Headers for 2008 C6?

Old 02-22-2012, 11:15 AM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I just received a quote from a local performance shop in Jacksonville for a set of Kooks 1 7/8" w/X-Pipe for $1700. Are Kooks comparable to American Racing and does that price seem legit?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:06 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PSU_Vette
I just received a quote from a local performance shop in Jacksonville for a set of Kooks 1 7/8" w/X-Pipe for $1700. Are Kooks comparable to American Racing and does that price seem legit?
I assume that quote included installation. My 1 7/8" ARHeaders price was $1900 installed so if installation is included, I'd have to say that is a fair price.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:44 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by superscout03
In my opinion LG motorsports has the headers you need. EXTREMELY well crafted and high grade stainless everything. It is true that most are comparable performace wise (for the mods that you have) but as you build more I have seen LG produce better across the board. But just dont buy cheap knock-off crap, Is a headache and they are never made with higher grade materials. (kinda like buying stainlees steel headers and finding out the runners are stainless but the flange is steel and about a year later you have the welds cracking) or the classic cheap chrome plated headers that flake off and rust. Go all stainless down to the last bolt.
+1 for LG

Free shipping here

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...aders-jwm.html

Quick Reply: Best Headers for 2008 C6?