C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously Headers …?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 06:07 AM
CMY SIX
Safety Car

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mowe
Ls3. / exh, headers, intake and tune netted 52 whp. Not too shabby. Holds me over till I figure what's next
sure got alot of stuff there for 52 HP, I got 35 HP with just a tune 17 hp for what five grand?
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by CMY SIX
lets see the dyno sheet for just the headers, not headers and tune and you would quicly see the headers did little or nothing compared to the $ spent
Headers are great! My 2008 ls-3 made 372 with headers and no tune
it made 420 then rolled off the dyno 421 tuned. For sure the BEST mod for a c-6!
Not sure on your information!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 AM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

sure got alot of stuff there for 52 HP, I got 35 HP with just a tune 17 hp for what five grand?
your an exception then. 35? is a LOT from a tune
Plus who cares about a dyno number> A tuned header car with a CAI
will eat a tuned stock car for lunch whos cares about a dyno sheet.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:21 AM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
your an exception then. 35? is a LOT from a tune
Plus who cares about a dyno number> A tuned header car with a CAI
will eat a tuned stock car for lunch whos cares about a dyno sheet.

Most gain 10-15 from a tune.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:25 AM
0Stainless Works
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets see the dyno sheet for just the headers, not headers and tune and you would quicly see the headers did little or nothing compared to the $ spent
I don't have anything to offer up as proof specifically for a Vette since all our testing ended with a dyno tune.

I can show you an untuned Camaro which has similar stock output to an LS2 C6.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/media/...aders-dyno.pdf

Don't forget, its not the peak hp number that matters but the area under the curve and the torque gains. Untuned, this engine doesn't know what to do with itself but it still pulls an extra 26hp and 23 ftlbs of torque.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:50 AM
vettro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am all in for putting in Headers - However, I will not let some unscrupulous speed shop rip me for 8 hours ($99.00 an hour) to install headers that I have seen they have done many, many, many times on their web site on Corvettes. They are a distributor and reseller of both LG and SW headers.

When I have people one after another (home wrenches) with no experience other than general mechanical ability and knowledge tell me it took them 5 hours IN THEIR garage with vehicle on jacks - Then I can safely assume an ASE certified Corvette tech and employee of a major speed shop sh**ting tools and every other do-dad they have at their disposal should have that job done and off the lift in 3 hours...

As most of you know challenging their claim is a waste of time - you just have to move on and note: "That they are a major MF'ing rip off...!!!"

Last edited by vettro; 03-30-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:27 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vettro
I am all in for putting in Headers - However, I will not let some unscrupulous speed shop rip me for 8 hours ($99.00 an hour) to install headers that I have seen they have done many, many, many times on their web site on Corvettes. They are a distributor and reseller of both LG and SW headers.

When I have people one after another (home wrenches) with no experience other than general mechanical ability and knowledge tell me it took them 5 hours IN THEIR garage with vehicle on jacks - Then I can safely assume an ASE certified Corvette tech and employee of a major speed shop sh**ting tools and every other do-dad they have at their disposal should have that job done and off the lift in 3 hours...

As most of you know challenging their claim is a waste of time - you just have to move on and note: "That they are a major MF'ing rip off...!!!"
Its called,"Book time" Doesn't really apply to headers, but mechanics look in a book for estimated time of completion on a project and quote cost from it. If they are good they will do it in roughly half to 2/3 the time the book calls for and still charge you the full time. This is common practice. There are a few honest guys out there that will cut you a break though and they are few and far between. But if they run over book time they will still usually come up with reasons to charge you the extra time; a no win for the consumer.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:32 PM
vettro
Racer

Thanks for the lesson - that makes sense, and I’m 100% positive that the job will be done in 3 hours. I will forego the headers rather then have my azz raped...
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Look at a different shop.

Most performance shops charge around $350 to install longtubes.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

If your into performance headers are a must and I'm not the type of person to cheap out on things. If you do it right the first time you want have to redo it with it costing more later.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:45 PM
reechwuzhere
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I went with a set of 1 7/8 LT Headers from American Racing and a tune and aside from better sound I've seen a 5mpg increase since putting them on. I figure that they'll pay for themselves in fuel eventually.

I had the dealer put them on ! They pinched me for $480.

Last edited by reechwuzhere; 03-30-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
vettro
Racer

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
If your into performance headers are a must and I'm not the type of person to cheap out on things. If you do it right the first time you want have to redo it with it costing more later.
Look I’m not 20 years old I’ve been around the Rodeo - and this isn’t “My First” performance vehicle actually I’ve had quite a few over the years Mustangs, Cobra’s three ZO6’s a Lightening - blah, blah, blah - so please don’t insult my intelligence with your stupid statement above, - and I’m not the type of person to CHEAP OUT ON ANYTHING -

BUT I’M NOT GOING TO LET SOMEONE RIP ME FOR $800.00 TO INSTALL HEADERS -

MAYBE YOU CAN BUT NOT THIS COWBOY ...

for a job that should be no more than $500
Old 03-30-2012, 05:09 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
I finally installed them last week. It was a piece of cake. I do have a KwikLift and full set of air tools though, which made things even easier. I also fell in love with my creeper that has an adjustable headrest. I was getting tired at one point so I literally took a cat nap, on my creeper, under my car! LOL

If anybody in my area needs help installing headers, they are welcome to stop on by and use my lift and assistance.
Congratulations!! Keith told me you were installing a set of headers. If you come to Green Bay I would like to see your handy work!

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
camirocz
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice thing about owning a c6 z06 is my stock manifolds are almost as good as headers .You ls3 guys want to save money find a set of used ls7 exhaust manifolds .Unless i would put a cam in and some headwork, which i wont, headers to me are a total waste of two grand.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camirocz
Nice thing about owning a c6 z06 is my stock manifolds are almost as good as headers .You ls3 guys want to save money find a set of used ls7 exhaust manifolds .Unless i would put a cam in and some headwork, which i wont, headers to me are a total waste of two grand.
Going from stock to headers air intake and tune usually nets around 40hp on a Z car. But I can agree that you wouldn't necessarily need or use that 40hp in most cases, comes in handy for bench racing though
Old 03-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Detoxx03
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by vettro
Look I’m not 20 years old I’ve been around the Rodeo - and this isn’t “My First” performance vehicle actually I’ve had quite a few over the years Mustangs, Cobra’s three ZO6’s a Lightening - blah, blah, blah - so please don’t insult my intelligence with your stupid statement above, - and I’m not the type of person to CHEAP OUT ON ANYTHING -

BUT I’M NOT GOING TO LET SOMEONE RIP ME FOR $800.00 TO INSTALL HEADERS -

MAYBE YOU CAN BUT NOT THIS COWBOY ...

for a job that should be no more than $500
I wouldn't pay $800 for install either. I was referring to the actual parts so don't get defensive so quick. $400 for a header install is standard so double that is insane.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:25 PM
vettro
Racer

OK sorry -

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously Headers …?

Old 03-30-2012, 07:41 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Headers are great! My 2008 ls-3 made 372 with headers and no tune
it made 420 then rolled off the dyno 421 tuned. For sure the BEST mod for a c-6!
Not sure on your information!
372 is low for a LS3 without headers...Most I read about on the forum were closer to 390 out the box...just sayin..I want headers I'm just cheap...
Old 03-30-2012, 08:05 PM
matt_lowry123
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Vettro, I'd wait till somebody in your area has an install and tune special. You'll save big!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:32 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Let me start by saying i have nothing to back up my opinion. with that said, i call bs on any gain by just installing the headers. the factory exhaust manifolds have excellent flow and i doubt any hp gain by just a header install. Let the flaming begin!

Quick Reply: Seriously Headers …?