C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump catch can setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Default Dry sump catch can setup?

It looks like I will need one in the "normal" place, between valley cover and intake. What about between the dry sump oil tank and intake? What does that need - another catch can, a breather? The Halltech intake doesn't have a place to run the hose from oil tank to intake.

Can you GS and LS7 guys chime in with what you are running?

Thanks,
Sean
Old 04-27-2012, 12:07 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

With about 500 miles on my new GS, I removed the intake and found quite a bit of oil inside the manifold, near where the PCV valve hose is connected. It wasn't quite a puddle yet, but oily all over the place. Cleaned it real well, and 200 miles later, it was oily again; not as bad, but enough that it's absolutely obvious to me this car needs a catch can as well. And keep in mind those first 500 miles didn't include any hard driving or more than 4K rpm.

I also checked the inlet from the dry sump, and it was bone dry both times, so no worries on that one. Just the PCV one.

I'd like to install the catch can next to the right hood hinge, but might not have enough space with an AMW unit I want, which is 2-1/2" in diameter. I like it because can buy it all black, including bracket and couplings, but a stealthy install. If I could relocate that electronic part riveted to the subframe close to the hinge, it'd be great, since it's pretty cool compared near the engine, and the condensation process is a lot more efficient (more oil in the can, less in the engine). Does anybody know what the heck those electronic parts are? There's one on each side. Thought about TPMS, but now there's just a central module somewhere inside the car, I think.
Saw an AMW can bolted to the GS's intake baffle, but I don't want to install it without a backing nylock nut. The last option is to change the intake for a Z06 one and use basically any catch can, but I still don't know how beneficial is that baffle. I don't want any extra audible engine noises when cruising; GM must have had a reason to add that thing. Hopefully we can get some pictures of GS catch can installs. I want to install one asap, before a trip I have to take in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by JCtx; 04-27-2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:42 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

I plan on tracking the car more than street driving. The motor I ought was out of a 2012 GS and had about 1100 miles on it - the intake had quite a bit of oil on it.

Thanks for the data regarding what you found on the PVC side and oil tank side.

Anyone else out there running a GS or LS7 and would like to share what catch can setup you are running? My old LS2 used an EE catch can and I was very happy with it.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:28 AM
JoeDAnnunzio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Halltech intake does have a place to run from oil tank to intake. There is a hole cut in the silicon coupler that accepts the 45degree elbow from the stock system. If you watch the MF103 install video it shows what I'm talking about. There is no need for a catch can, at least mine was bone dry.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:40 AM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by JoeDAnnunzio
The Halltech intake does have a place to run from oil tank to intake. There is a hole cut in the silicon coupler that accepts the 45degree elbow from the stock system. If you watch the MF103 install video it shows what I'm talking about. There is no need for a catch can, at least mine was bone dry.
You're right, I missed it the first time I took it out of the box - sorry. I haven't paid much attention to the Halltech since it will be the last thing on the car with this motor swap...

I also realize that most street driven dry sump cars don't have an issue with the line from oil tank to the intake. However, I will spend more time on the track than on the street with this car and I have heard that the road course guys also have issues with oil in this line as well. Can anybody back me up here, or is my brain getting mushy? Do you spend any time on the track and still have a dry "oil tank to intake" line?

Thanks for any helpful information.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
JoeDAnnunzio
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't tracked mine in anything other than a straight line. However, when I say dry I mean DRY. I think the oil resevoir uses some kind of internal baffeling and is every bit as effective as an aftermarket catch can could be.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:27 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Tech Contributor

Cool, thanks. Maybe I will just start with one and see how the line between oil tank and intake behaves on the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Dry sump catch can setup?

Quick Reply: Dry sump catch can setup?