C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door not opening

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:15 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Door not opening

I have a 2008 coupe that just started having issues with the driver door opening. I can open it with the manual release but it is not opening now with the door pad. Anything that can be reset or checked or is it time to take it to the shop? TIA...
Old 09-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

Clean the contracts in your door pad.Make sure you have a good batt in your FOB..
Old 09-30-2014, 02:48 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

The contacts are easy to clean. Two screws removes the handle. Take the assembly to your work bench and remove the six small screws. Pull the two pieces apart, spray each side with contact cleaner, wipe them down and put the parts back together. 10 minute job that may take care of your problem. Worth a try. The contacts get dirty after a while. I cleaned mine and it made a big difference.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by HBsurfer
The contacts are easy to clean. Two screws removes the handle. Take the assembly to your work bench and remove the six small screws. Pull the two pieces apart, spray each side with contact cleaner, wipe them down and put the parts back together. 10 minute job that may take care of your problem. Worth a try. The contacts get dirty after a while. I cleaned mine and it made a big difference.
Good info! Thanks!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Frans96ss
Le Mans Master

Received 352 Likes on 210 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Buy a new door pad. They are like $25 new from the dealer
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,006 Likes on 2,169 Posts

My vote is to just clean the pads (do both sides).

When you are done cleaning the door pads, then go clean the rear hatch release button since it probably due for a cleaning as well.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-pictures.html
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

If both the inside button and the outside door pad are not working, then it could be the actuator (solenoid) that opens the latch in the B-pillar.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by cclive
If both the inside button and the outside door pad are not working, then it could be the actuator (solenoid) that opens the latch in the B-pillar.
Yes the inside door button will not open the door either...
Old 09-30-2014, 08:27 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks for the replies..I will try to clean the door pads first...
Old 10-01-2014, 04:59 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,006 Likes on 2,169 Posts

If the door red light comes on, and the window indexes when you push the interior door button or the exterior door pad, but the door will not open, then the problem is the actuator (latch) in the A frame.

Open the door manually, then flip the actuator latch closed by hand with the door still open, and see if pushing either the interior door button or door pad flips the actuator latch piece back open.

Flipped by hand at 1:36, and you can do this will the latch is still in the A frame to check it.

Last edited by Dano523; 10-01-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:55 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Tried cleaning the door pad and that did not resolve the issue. The door will not open using the inside door button either so it appears t be the solenoid/actuator. What do these cost? Do you have to replace the manual override cables?
Old 10-01-2014, 02:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 434 Likes on 371 Posts

It doesn't necessarily need to be replaced...lubrication may fix it. Pull it, check and see if the mechanism is dirty etc and check what it does when power is applied. If it is trying but not going completely, some silicone spray may be all that is needed. That video above shows how easy it is to remove.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 288 Likes on 269 Posts

It doesn't necessarily need to be replaced...lubrication may fix it. Pull it, check and see if the mechanism is dirty etc and check what it does when power is applied. If it is trying but not going completely, some silicone spray may be all that is needed. That video above shows how easy it is to remove.
I've lubed my on my 2008 a few times.Just part of maintenance...
Old 10-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Cherokee Nation
I've lubed my on my 2008 a few times.Just part of maintenance...
Ahh cool, thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:31 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Doughan
Tried cleaning the door pad and that did not resolve the issue. The door will not open using the inside door button either so it appears t be the solenoid/actuator. What do these cost? Do you have to replace the manual override cables?
There are 4 things that can go wrong with the door latch mechanism. Two of these are the inside and outside door switches. If the door doesn't open when you use one of the switches but does open when you use the other the switch that doesn't work is the problem. If both fail to open the door the problem is located either in the door control module inside the door or the latch. Both of these have failed on my 08. The door module wouldn't open the door and the window indexing went crazy. First symptom was the window not closing all the way when the door was closed, second symptom was when I couldn't get in or out of the car and the third symptom was when the window indexing went crazy with the window going up and down continuously on its one whenever the door was shut. The dealer replaced the module and the problems went away. Two months later I couldn't get into or out of the car again but the windows indexed properly. The dealer replaced the actuator in the B pillar and I haven't had another problem in 5 years.

Bill
Old 10-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Thanks so much for replies guys...My windows have not gone crazy, it indexes and opens and closes normally...I'll go for a cleaning and some silicone spray...
Old 01-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,495 Likes on 816 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by Doughan
Thanks so much for replies guys...My windows have not gone crazy, it indexes and opens and closes normally...I'll go for a cleaning and some silicone spray...
Did this work? I am having the exact same problem where both the inside and outside buttons are trying to open the door (window indexes) but it won't open the door at all. Manual releases in the trunk and passenger area both work.

Get notified of new replies

To Door not opening

Old 01-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

tried it with the door open and does not work

Originally Posted by Dano523
If the door red light comes on, and the window indexes when you push the interior door button or the exterior door pad, but the door will not open, then the problem is the actuator (latch) in the A frame.

Open the door manually, then flip the actuator latch closed by hand with the door still open, and see if pushing either the interior door button or door pad flips the actuator latch piece back open.

Flipped by hand at 1:36, and you can do this will the latch is still in the A frame to check it.
How to change a c6 corvette bad door latch - YouTube
Old 01-10-2015, 04:47 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Does anybody know the price of a new latch?
Old 01-10-2015, 06:30 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
Did this work? I am having the exact same problem where both the inside and outside buttons are trying to open the door (window indexes) but it won't open the door at all. Manual releases in the trunk and passenger area both work.
Did not work for me. My car has an extended warranty so just gonna take it in and get the solenoid replaced, hopefully on both sides but the passenger side still works.

Quick Reply: Door not opening