C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1/4 Mile Noob here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 05:41 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rpmextra
glad to know you're crazy too lolololol

so what should my plan be for this weekend. chatting between runs may prove impossible and you guys have the 4th of July so enjoy that . Canada day is Wednesday for us .

What launch rpm should I use and should I increase in 200rpm increments until we find the sweet spot. say 2 passes per??

Tire pressure rear 17psi cold
front ???
Traction control off right, competitive mode or off fully?
We said redline shifting, keep engine cool between runs.

I will mount gopro so you can see cluster, and record data logs using HPtuners. i'm a sponge

thanks a million
3500 launch and accelerate as you start letting clutch out. If you get any wheel hop let out.

front pressure 35, if it goes above 42 you'll get dic messages

Traction control off, competitive driving mode on.

Looking forward to seeing how you do and hoping you'll get some more advice perhaps from Robz or Gary 2004z06.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:54 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 173 Posts

Yeah i tried 40psi in the last outing and that High pressure front right front left was a pain in the display. It was hard to see when trying to play with traction control.

It will be interesting with the new ZR1 clutch. Hopefully it was the right choice. did little research and for the money felt like the best option.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by rpmextra
Yeah i tried 40psi in the last outing and that High pressure front right front left was a pain in the display. It was hard to see when trying to play with traction control.

It will be interesting with the new ZR1 clutch. Hopefully it was the right choice. did little research and for the money felt like the best option.
It's a great clutch.

Watch FARTPIPE put it to work, his best pass was the one where he walked it out and didn't bog.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...r1-w-dr-s.html
Old 06-29-2015, 06:04 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

woah in total awe, there is light under those front wheels thats nuts. he is very consistant. my runs are a little more random. ill do a 11.6then run a 11.9 then a 11.7 or so lol,
Old 06-29-2015, 06:18 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

He's been doing this a while...nobody is consistent when they start. It's like playing golf the more you do it the better you get as your muscle memory takes over.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I don't expect to be a pro within a few passes. I just believe that without any guidance, the learning curve would be a very steep one. I think I said this before, but I was talking to local guys at the track but their input although good, is limited to a completely different car. Automatics, AWDs, big diesels running 12's but no vettes. The one vette guy who've I seen runs very little and never had a chance to chat. He's running 12's but he seems to shift really well. its funny people get us mixed up cause we have the same color Z. I have no front plate and he does (his ontario-i'm Quebec) people were like wow, what did you do, last week you ran 12.4 and you just did 11.6. I'm like i wasn't here last week then they argue with me lol
Old 06-30-2015, 09:02 AM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
3500 launch and accelerate as you start letting clutch out. If you get any wheel hop let out.

front pressure 35, if it goes above 42 you'll get dic messages

Traction control off, competitive driving mode on.

Looking forward to seeing how you do and hoping you'll get some more advice perhaps from Robz or Gary 2004z06.
The only thing I might do differently in the beginning here is to launch with the new clutch similar to the way you have been and factor in the extra grab. I'm not sure of the characteristics of this clutch and how it grabs in comparison to stock c6z clutch. And remember you have stock 3.42's and alot of torque. The key is going to be smooth because the new clutch won't take the hit and inherently slip like the stocker. So the tires will take more of the hit and want to spin then typically bog when first experimenting. So the goal is to be able to hit it soft enough not to light up the tires yet accelerate quick enough not to bog. It's tricky to do with a tight clutch, alot of torque, and 3.42 gears. So launch lower but on the gas a little quicker and try not to bog. If you are too aggressive on the throttle you may get wheelhop with an aggressive clutch. One way to achieve this is to find the grabbing point of the clutch pedal and commit that to muscle memory. As you shallow stage bring the pedal up to that point and then push the pedal back in 1/2 - 1" and that's your starting point for the launch. This will take some hit off the clutch and provide a smoother launch and help prevent wheelhop too. You may creep a bit in the beginning which tells you that you are near the spot of engagement. Remember the higher you launch in rpm at the line the more the clutch will want to engage and start moving the car forward. This is ok for now because you are learning the feel of everything but eventually you want no creep.
But I would still try you old style launch with a slight compensation for the clutch since that is ingrained and it reveal to you how the new clutch reacts differently and changes the launch. You can try the newer techniques after you understand the new clutch.
Important tip.
Keep the burnout consistent. The tires need a full burnout but not at the expense of the clutch. Memorize this next line. The colder the clutch at the launch the better. Try and do a quick burnout not necessarily a short one. I like to pump the clutch 15 times after the burnout before shallow staging.
This info is for you or anyone to store away and you don't need to do all this first time out. Do what you know and take little pieces of advice and incorporate that into your plan and tecnique. Alot depends on the grabiness of the clutch so you will have to make trackside decisions. I have never raced a c6 but know enough to coach so let's hope Joe and others agree. Get video and audio from the side on the launch and if you post in this thread from the track we will respond right away and give remote track support if necessary.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:12 AM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Great advice Rob!

A lower launch is prudent.

Based on my observations of scans and runs, the zr1 clutch SHOULD react similarly to his stock clutch but being new it may be more grabby as you note. I suspect it will eventually take the slip then bite like my stock clutch.

Most excellent point re cold clutch being better. That's why I do a first gear burnout. And I also pump the clutch a bunch after the burnout, great point that I forgot.

Rpmextra don't forget to flush the clutch fluid before and after each track event. It's a good habit to be in.

Also, if you get your Youtube account set up in advance and you use your phone for video like I showed above, you can upload at the track and we can provide very realtime advice. What time are you heading to the track?
Old 06-30-2015, 04:16 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks Robz and JoeG

hoping to head out by noon of if weather permits, gonna spend the day there. Keep in mind that it july 4th that day, for us canadians, that just means its saturday but if you guys have things planned I totally understand. I do have the youtube account set up but only have a gopro mount. i may beable to use my laptop at the track to transfer files and get them on the phone to send.

I won't lie I was a little disapointted about the dyno today. Livernois says their kit makes 628/535 wheel on the dynojet. now I am aware that me going in on a mustang dyno was gonna drop teh numbers but it really feels like a kick in the junk. made 565.7 / 519.1 wheel.

the good news is, Ed found 30hp/22tq on the table between the runs. I heard that dyno jets typical are 12%-15% more generous with the numbers. so 565.7 + 12% = 633 which would put me right at Livernois numbers i guess. the track will talk the truth as they say

Side note, the clutch seems like it's stiffened a bit and I like it more now. feels better to the touch if you follow.

Joe G right there with you about the clutch fluid. have a gallon of dot4 on hand with my newly installed remote bleeder and I have a mivotec vacuum bleeder. that fluid will be crystal clear on the regular. here's my pass for fun

Old 06-30-2015, 04:37 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Did you dyno with your drag radials? That hurts your dyno numbers as well, can't tell you how much but it does.

And is Livernois numbers engine numbers?

That's a fast car and you don't race dyno sheets... you'll do great. I hope Sebast can hook up with you one day for track time instruction.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:56 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Did you dyno with your drag radials? That hurts your dyno numbers as well, can't tell you how much but it does.

And is Livernois numbers engine numbers?

That's a fast car and you don't race dyno sheets... you'll do great. I hope Sebast can hook up with you one day for track time instruction.
livernois video with the stage 3 package i bought shows wheel. The mustang dyno operator and friend warned me about getting disappointed lol. says he disappoints everyone except his wife lol. he stated guys come over after adding some mods and "loose" power even though they claim it feels faster on the street/track.

i just wanted to see similar numbers cause i paid for them, but if the mustang/dynojet theory is true (+12%) then its all good and i got the numbers.

no i was told by hoosier not to cause i asked. they said the tires aren't designed for the load and could develop blisters and scrap the tire., wa

i wrote to seb waiting for his reply thanks for that
Old 06-30-2015, 05:36 PM
robz
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 111 Posts

Dyno numbers are the last thing from my mind. You have plenty of power in fact maybe too much to harness with an hydraulic clutch and a 17" radial. But we'll make it work.
Hate go pro videos but that's just me. It would be big to get the side close up video/audio for the launch.
Where does the clutch grab off the ground?
Old 06-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

I hate to be picky but I agree with Robz...any chance you could pick up a cheap suction mount for your phone and mount it to the side window about helmet level, maybe a little back, giving us the view of the dash like my video?
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by robz
Dyno numbers are the last thing from my mind. You have plenty of power in fact maybe too much to harness with an hydraulic clutch and a 17" radial. But we'll make it work.
Hate go pro videos but that's just me. It would be big to get the side close up video/audio for the launch.
Where does the clutch grab off the ground?
Yeah as far as numbers go, i will worry less about dyno's and more about ET's you guys are 100% correct.

If I were to mount the gopro to the window so you can see the dash as you said, if it's clean good quality video what is it that you kinda don't like? not being a smartass.....it's just that, that way i could get you the side view with launch getting a friend to use my phone. you guys know how much of a pain it is to collect videos off other peoples phone. they don't have the cable or file too large to email. this way both vids are auto in my possesion. or do i steal the wife's phone lol.

for the clutch release it's with the first 2" or so
Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

would this work for you guys. along with a outside launch video and data log of course.

James
Old 06-30-2015, 09:21 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

That looks terrific! How'd you mount it? Make sure it will stay and not come loose when you are banging gears. Don't want to be distracted on the track at WOT...

And you need to drain that fuel down, you want to race with ¼ tank or so, fuel is heavy. Someday you might want to get skinnies but until then, your passenger seat weighs 53 lbs and that's .005.

Here's a tip to drain fuel. I just siphon but it takes a while with the small hose you have to use.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-no-muss.html
Old 06-30-2015, 09:38 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok cool I'm glad that mount works for you. the gopro came with 2 adhesive permanent mounts, i didn't stick it yet but right behind the steering wheel on the upper bezel. the wideview of the lens allows us to see everything. what's even better is it's in no way in my field of view.

As for the gas I'll burn some for you the fun way. last time I went with half a tank and i had just enough left to get home. 93+ octane is not on that route.

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 Mile Noob here!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:39 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Don't stick it yet - wait for Rob to chime in. He may want a view of the shifter to give advice on technique.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Don't stick it yet - wait for Rob to chime in. He may want a view of the shifter to give advice on technique.
ok makes sense. I have been doing the 4 finger pull palm push like ranger talks about. doesn't feel natural but getting used to it
Old 06-30-2015, 10:39 PM
rpmextra
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Also, I took the advice on the 9ball shifter site. I definatly could better my seating posistion. the only issue is I'm not that tall 5'10" yet wearing my helmet grazes the headliner as it is. I will sit in there tomorrow with my helmet on and work with it a bit. something I never took the time to at the track.

Also, I feel his shifting technique is similar to my natural hand position, I may adapt to his quicker than trying to completely alter and shift like ranger.

I'm in no way for power shifting though. I've done it before, not on my vette, but woudl want to perfect my shifting before jumping up a level.

and for the really neat fuel trick I've done that before on cars before swapping a tank or pump. but I don't have that fuel rail anymore is not as easy to do. i could disconnect the inlet "quick connect" but for some reason i had a war with it too click on, it's really tight so i would rather not play with it. I'll drive it a bit to get it down.

Last edited by rpmextra; 06-30-2015 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 1/4 Mile Noob here!