RWHP Sweet Spot - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C6 Tech/Performance
LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

View Poll Results: RWHP Sweet Spot
<500rwhp 11 15.49%
500-600rwhp 23 32.39%
600-700rwhp 27 38.03%
700-800rwhp 7 9.86%
800-900rwhp 3 4.23%
1000+rwhp 0 0%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

RWHP Sweet Spot

Old 12-03-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
MikeSVT04
CF Senior Member

I was around 540/520 tq this past summer full bolt on, cam, 75 shot. It's hooked and booked on the street with nitto 555R.

I'm upping to a 125 shot and MT drag radial and calling it a day. Hoping for 600hp and tq. If I can dead hook that from a stop I will be very happy and it will be hard beat that from a street dig.

I don't see how some of the 650-800hp street guys hook up. I don't mean 40 rolls, just hammer down from the stoplight and minimal spin. More power to you, I just never see the big power guys do anything but roll racing( which is fine).
MikeSVT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #42
realcanuk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

There is no law that says you have to stomp the pedal. Just have to roll into it. Car is fastest when just on the verge of wheel spin.
realcanuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 PM   #43
MikeSVT04
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
There is no law that says you have to stomp the pedal. Just have to roll into it. Car is fastest when just on the verge of wheel spin.
I understand. Just always see the big power guys still on 19in Drs get their ace handed to them from a dig. You can pedal all you want, but it's not efficient. I guess I equate street power as what hooks with a street setup.
MikeSVT04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:20 PM   #44
realcanuk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I understand. Just always see the big power guys still on 19in Drs get their ace handed to them from a dig. You can pedal all you want, but it's not efficient. I guess I equate street power as what hooks with a street setup.
No one should be on 19 inch with big power. That’s just silly. No point to power if you can’t put some down at least half decently.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:28 PM   #45
Limitless100
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVT04 View Post
I think that right there is the problem haha, 19in wheels should NOT be on a car with that much power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
No one should be on 19 inch with big power. That’s just silly. No point to power if you can’t put some down at least half decently.
Exactly
Limitless100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #46
Limitless100
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVT04 View Post
I was around 540/520 tq this past summer full bolt on, cam, 75 shot. It's hooked and booked on the street with nitto 555R.

I'm upping to a 125 shot and MT drag radial and calling it a day. Hoping for 600hp and tq. If I can dead hook that from a stop I will be very happy and it will be hard beat that from a street dig.

I don't see how some of the 650-800hp street guys hook up. I don't mean 40 rolls, just hammer down from the stoplight and minimal spin. More power to you, I just never see the big power guys do anything but roll racing( which is fine).
Also, this brings up a good point. Some people (like you) very much value their stand still performance, while others care more about rolling performance. So power level will change depending. You might beat a 800rwhp c6 from a dead stop, but roll and he will probably win.

I believe I saw a video of a 8xx hp zr1 that seemed to do extremely well from a stop on the street. Maybe someone knows of it?
Old 12-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #47
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321

Quote:
Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW View Post
What sized pulley?
Depends what engine, LS7's get a 3.5" on our base kit and LS2/3's get 3.33" pulley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless100 View Post
Yeah, the key to that is the last sentence. Doesn't seem like pushing past 800 makes much difference on the street for most of the Corvettes. They do extremely well at 700-850.

Great hearing from you. Backs up what I was guestimating was going to be the best spot to aim for. Do you agree that the 800-850ish level is about to most a tall drag radial C6 is going to be able to use on the road without it being totally useless? What is your base kit? And what power level does it put you at?
It really depends how well you can drive and if you have all the other supporting mods to be able to put 1000+ rwhp down on the street. We have a couple of cars that run 275 pro's on the street and can hook 1000 hp on the street. Well at least in second anyway, first is not a flat foot gear at that point, hence the "how well can you drive" statement.

That said those cars have well into six figures worth of mods to make that happen. My personal sweet spot on the street is 8-850, that can be done with a reasonable amount of mods and a drag radial.
DOUG @ ECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #48
Ragtop 99
CF Senior Member

For 90% street, 500 RWHP NA with gears (or converter for an A6) seems pretty sweet to me if the car is being regularly driven with a summer tire that's safe in the rain at highway speed. Drivability is good and it sounds good too.

Also "street" varies a lot. For me, it's mostly in town without many places where triple digits are practical. Only the first three gears are going to get redlined, so for me there's no point having power that's going to break the car loose in 3rd gear. I don't want to have to pedal 3rd. Others have streets that support higher speeds.
Ragtop 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:05 AM   #49
camarokidz28
CF Senior Member

690whp on the street got boring for me pretty quick, even on 19s. Lining up plans to go 17s, upgraded blower/fuel, and aim for 750-800.
camarokidz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:45 PM   #50
darknit
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop 99 View Post
For 90% street, 500 RWHP NA with gears (or converter for an A6) seems pretty sweet to me if the car is being regularly driven with a summer tire that's safe in the rain at highway speed. Drivability is good and it sounds good too.

Also "street" varies a lot. For me, it's mostly in town without many places where triple digits are practical. Only the first three gears are going to get redlined, so for me there's no point having power that's going to break the car loose in 3rd gear. I don't want to have to pedal 3rd. Others have streets that support higher speeds.
my c6 was definitely more FUN at 453rwhp/417rwtq then it is now at around 800rwhp/700rwtq when its wearing its street tires, 275/345 invo's... when you are near 500rwhp on street tires you can push the car and aren't afraid of it and its so much more fun on the street... at 700+rwhp boosted setups on street tires and on the street, you just spin as soon as you hit boost and then your along for the ride... if you install drag radials you can usually put down the power in good weather most the time, but now your not really road tripping your car and always worried about rain... my vote is 500rwhp N/A if you drive your car a bunch and want to leave street tires on it and 700rwhp boosted if your ok with running drag radials and not dailying it...
darknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #51
FNBADAZ06
CF Senior Member

C6 Z06, N/A - 600 RWHP is my sweet spot with a >3000 lbs race weight without me in it.
I have a nitrous kit for those times I want an additional 100-200 RWHP, but 600 RWHP on flex fuel has been enough to get me lower 10.40's at 132-136 MPH, 165+ MPH standing start 1/2 mile runway events, and hopefully a high 190's MPH standing 1 mile.

I still drive my car to the office on regular occasions and weekend trips out of town that are 500-1000 mile trips.

Last edited by FNBADAZ06; 12-05-2017 at 04:11 PM.
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #52
Unreal
CF Senior Member

That being said, I can drive my car cross country, etc. It is no less streetable than a 600rwhp car as far as commuting, cross country, etc. Just when it comes to racing and cost, it is easily 3-4x as much for reliable 1000rwhp than 600rwhp.
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:04 PM   #53
Limitless100
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS View Post
Depends what engine, LS7's get a 3.5" on our base kit and LS2/3's get 3.33" pulley.

It really depends how well you can drive and if you have all the other supporting mods to be able to put 1000+ rwhp down on the street. We have a couple of cars that run 275 pro's on the street and can hook 1000 hp on the street. Well at least in second anyway, first is not a flat foot gear at that point, hence the "how well can you drive" statement.

That said those cars have well into six figures worth of mods to make that happen. My personal sweet spot on the street is 8-850, that can be done with a reasonable amount of mods and a drag radial.
Are the auto swapped cars fairing better on the street? I'm surprised guys are hooking 1000rw+ on the street in second. Maybe the centri is easier to work with than something like a twin or big single due to the curve. Yeah, it's looking like 800-850 is the perfect max power level. Before it starts getting either useless or stupid expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarokidz28 View Post
690whp on the street got boring for me pretty quick, even on 19s. Lining up plans to go 17s, upgraded blower/fuel, and aim for 750-800.
Wow really, how were you hooking at 690 with 19's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknit View Post
my c6 was definitely more FUN at 453rwhp/417rwtq then it is now at around 800rwhp/700rwtq when its wearing its street tires, 275/345 invo's... when you are near 500rwhp on street tires you can push the car and aren't afraid of it and its so much more fun on the street... at 700+rwhp boosted setups on street tires and on the street, you just spin as soon as you hit boost and then your along for the ride... if you install drag radials you can usually put down the power in good weather most the time, but now your not really road tripping your car and always worried about rain... my vote is 500rwhp N/A if you drive your car a bunch and want to leave street tires on it and 700rwhp boosted if your ok with running drag radials and not dailying it...
With invo's I don't see the car hooking particularly well, what size wheel? You could get a middle ground like r888's to not worry about the rain. I feel like having 700+ and refusing to use a drag radial/sticky tire is a waste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
That being said, I can drive my car cross country, etc. It is no less streetable than a 600rwhp car as far as commuting, cross country, etc. Just when it comes to racing and cost, it is easily 3-4x as much for reliable 1000rwhp than 600rwhp.
I've never had a desire to drive a high performance car like that across the country, seems like an odd thing to want to do. Unless you are going to a big car event, in which I'd probably just ship/trailer it.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:21 AM   #54
FNBADAZ06
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless100 View Post
I've never had a desire to drive a high performance car like that across the country, seems like an odd thing to want to do. Unless you are going to a big car event, in which I'd probably just ship/trailer it.
I find this response odd, and maybe this is where we draw the line between a true "street car" and toy/race car. To me, if you've modded the car to the point that you neither trust it from a reliability stand point or it's uncomfortable/not enjoyable to use as a piece of transportation, you've gone too far on the mod list or quest for HP. This forum is littered with owners who had an idea in their heads that they could turn their car into a 9 second street car with 1000 RWHP without any prior experience of what it takes to build such a car or the impact it was going to have on the general enjoyment of the ownership of such a car.

If you don't feel comfortable driving a modded car at a steady state cruise on the highway across the nation, maybe you've gone too far.
FNBADAZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #55
Unreal
CF Senior Member

FNBadAz06 nailed it. Can you have a 1000+ streetable z06? Yes. Is is cheap, easy, or low maintenance, hell no. Easy $100k+, and probably $10k+ a year in maintenance (unless your Jody).
Unreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 02:27 PM   #56
irok
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post
I find this response odd, and maybe this is where we draw the line between a true "street car" and toy/race car. To me, if you've modded the car to the point that you neither trust it from a reliability stand point or it's uncomfortable/not enjoyable to use as a piece of transportation, you've gone too far on the mod list or quest for HP. This forum is littered with owners who had an idea in their heads that they could turn their car into a 9 second street car with 1000 RWHP without any prior experience of what it takes to build such a car or the impact it was going to have on the general enjoyment of the ownership of such a car.

If you don't feel comfortable driving a modded car at a steady state cruise on the highway across the nation, maybe you've gone too far.
you can turn your car into a 9 second driver with a lot less than 1000 rwhp.I have never driven my car more than 24 hours from my home but I do drive it anywhere I choose to go.in 24 hours I can cover a lot of ground
irok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #57
realcanuk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal
FNBadAz06 nailed it. Can you have a 1000+ streetable z06? Yes. Is is cheap, easy, or low maintenance, hell no. Easy $100k+, and probably $10k+ a year in maintenance (unless your Jody).
LOL. I don't know what all this maintenance is you speak of. All I ever do is change the oil and check everything over, unless something breaks. And nothing really has since I stay away from the track !
Old 12-07-2017, 09:08 AM   #58
EuroRod
CF Senior Member

My C6 puts down 650rwhp. It is a beast on the street, however traction is an issue below 60mph with my Michelin SS.
EuroRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #59
C U IN REARVEIW
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroRod View Post
My C6 puts down 650rwhp. It is a beast on the street, however traction is an issue below 60mph with my Michelin SS.
I never had good traction with the michelin ss....went to R888's.....MUCH better
C U IN REARVEIW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #60
Limitless100
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06 View Post

Maybe that's the problem. A toy is exactly what it is in my mind. It's not a vehicle for transporting me across states. I understand some people like that idea, but I would most likely not care to drive a heavily modded big power car that far. There just isn't any point in my opinion. You may view your high HP corvette as a normal street car for everyday use, but that's not how I view modded fast cars. I see them as an expensive pair of shoes you put on when your in the mood. Not a pair to use everyday and walk everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
You must be beating the life out of your car to hit that level of maintenance every year lol
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • RWHP Sweet Spot
  •