C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch swap engine tilted forward

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:14 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Clutch swap engine tilted forward

Not sure if this is better here or in the z06 forum but I figured there might be more traffic here...

I知 finishing up a clutch swap on my Z. First one I致e done and so I知 not sure if this is somewhat normal....got the clutch in, torque tube and rear cradle was wiggled in by hand all the way up no issue but after booting the cradle in my engine is tilted 1 degree of so forward. I知 thinking maybe the suspension is just loaded weird.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:17 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Seems to me that 1 degree would be pretty hard to measure or at best would be fractions of an inch. For comparison, did you measure how the engine was sitting before you did all the work? I would think that if everything bolts up correctly, that there's no problem.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:44 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Your suspension will have no bearing on the engine angle. The engine and trans are mounted to the cradles which are on somewhat fixed mounts. Unless you swapped mounts or have some sort of gap around the bell housing/torque tube then you should be fine.

Check to make sure that you did not smash the harness clamp or clutch master cyl line clamp in the top of the bell housing. It seems like that could be done and overlooked. It should be easy to inspected from where you are at in the photo.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:57 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Well I mean the engine is very noticeable that it’s tilted forward in real life....kinda hard. To see in the pic though. Checked all the lines and harnesses nothing is pinched. I can’t get a wrench on my arp crank bolt which I’m normally easily able to do. I’m not even sure if t can get the msd on the engine either

One thing i did notice is that I had the engine mounts and cradle all loose when putting the trans and tube back in and I noticed that pushing them in was tilting the engine forward. I didn’t tighten thebwngine mounts and cradle up until after the torque tube was in and the tranny cradle bolted up. I suppose that could have loaded the motor weird maybe I’ll try loosening the bolts and see what happens. Otherwise maybe it will settle when it’s all back on the ground
Old 02-15-2018, 08:02 PM
User Omega
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 208 Posts

Well there is some fwd/back play in the engine mounts to cradle but not much. There is a bit of play also in the cradle itself but also not much and that would not affect the rack to bolt spacing. The angle of the engine really cannot change with everything bolted together.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:17 PM
redbird555
Drifting

I had to pull the trans back out yesterday for something and when it was removed I could easily take the wrench on and off the crank just as I always could....pushed it back up and watched the engine tilt and now I couldn’t get the wrench to fit if I tried. Just doesn’t make sense.

Nothing binds, trans and tube slid right in with some wiggling and nothing is pinched on the bellhousing. The only thing I can think of is the motor mounts flexing forward when I was pushing the trans in then it got locked in place when I tightened the rear cradle. Really spitballing here bc I have no idea lol
Old 02-16-2018, 12:18 AM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 100 Posts

Sub'd
Old 02-17-2018, 09:18 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 471 Posts

Could you be using the wrong engine/transaxle mount holes?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-mounts.html
Old 02-18-2018, 12:04 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Did you loosen the front cradle nuts to make removing the bellhousing easier?
Old 02-18-2018, 02:16 PM
redbird555
Drifting

Originally Posted by torquetube
Could you be using the wrong engine/transaxle mount holes?

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ne-mounts.html
I didn稚 remove the cradles from the engine or trans so this could not be it
Originally Posted by 3X2
Did you loosen the front cradle nuts to make removing the bellhousing easier?
Yes I did and think that痴 what made some of the difference. I pulled the torquebtube back out and loosened the front cradle again then retorted it THEN slide the torque tube back in. Put everything back together last night and today
Car drives great. RPS BC2 with the aluminum flywheel

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch swap engine tilted forward

Quick Reply: Clutch swap engine tilted forward