C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Commander question/issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 08:59 AM
gnawbone
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust Commander question/issue

I just bought my '08 Corvette and I also bought a Mild to Wild kit and this morning when I went to install the MtW I got a surprise! There is already a an NPP modifying kit installed, a device called "Exhaust Commander". After searching around on the internet I have found that the company that made it (Sunset Orange Creations) seems to be out of business. Ex. Commander is installed similarly but slightly differently from the Mild to Wild kit. I have a couple of options:

1) remove the Exhaust Commander and install the Mild to Wild kit. I would but do this but the fuse removed in this kit is different from MtW and I'm not sure what to replace it with. I know I can find this out and I might but the less I do to mess with 'electrical' stuff the better.

2) Use the Exhaust Commander. This seems simple enough but there isn't a remote or a switch installed and none of the homelink buttons trigger it. I also can't find any instructions on how to get the visor button(s) to work with the Exhaust Commander.

3) I'm a little gun shy about creating an electrical issue so I am going to plod through this s l o w l y. I've considered taking it to my local Chevy dealer and having them remove the Exhaust Commander and putting the car back to factory condition and then I'll install the Mild to Wild.

Do any of you have any suggestions?
Old 06-13-2018, 10:53 AM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

The operation depends on the model installed.

Just as a test, here's an old post of theirs (post 2) with a demo video showing how one model works using the door lock buttons in the car and on the FOB. This might work for you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ectronics.html
Old 06-13-2018, 11:55 AM
gnawbone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
The operation depends on the model installed.

Just as a test, here's an old post of theirs (post 2) with a demo video showing how one model works using the door lock buttons in the car and on the FOB. This might work for you.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ectronics.html
Dang it! That didn't work.

It's funny that I can find very little on the 'net about this thing. A couple of videos demo-ing it but nothing on how to set it up.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:42 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Well, poop! I hoped it would be easy.

Now I guess you need to check to see if the control is installed in the OBD port. Here are their install bullet points:

Incredibly simple installation process, comes with everything necessary out-of-the-box.

Remove your 10A Exhaust Fuse fuse already in place.
Route the Exhaust Commander cable from the fuse panel area to the driver's side
footwell and plug the Exhaust Commander cable into the unit.
Plug the Exhaust Commander cable into the Exhaust Fuse location.
Plug the Exhaust Commander into the OBD-II port with the provided cable.
Start your car and have fun!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:48 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Here's another original thread from them 8 years ago. I forgot about the DASH system that used the DIC Reset button for control and they had a one button remote. Check it out for ideas.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...commander.html
Old 06-13-2018, 06:51 PM
gnawbone
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RicK T
Well, poop! I hoped it would be easy.

Now I guess you need to check to see if the control is installed in the OBD port. Here are their install bullet points:

Incredibly simple installation process, comes with everything necessary out-of-the-box.

Remove your 10A Exhaust Fuse fuse already in place.
Route the Exhaust Commander cable from the fuse panel area to the driver's side
footwell and plug the Exhaust Commander cable into the unit.
Plug the Exhaust Commander cable into the Exhaust Fuse location.
Plug the Exhaust Commander into the OBD-II port with the provided cable.
Start your car and have fun!

Thanks for the links.

I found in the OBD-II port a white box but it doesn't have a cable connected to it so I'm not sure if it is for the exhaust commander or some other mod the previous owner did.

I've got an appt Friday AM at the Chevy dealer to remove everything that doesn't belong if I don't find the magic handshake between now and then. I'll bring it home then and install the Mild to Wild. It would be easier (and cheaper) to get the one that is currently installed working, though!

Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 PM
JacksAO
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Exhaust Commander “Elite” model. That’s the one that plugs into the OBD port and you control the 3 mode’s by using the “unlock” portion of the door lock button. The chosen mode will briefly display in the DIC.
If you have this model there will be a harness plugged into it (OBD port) and goes over to the fuse box in the passenger foot well. You’ll also find another wire run that will go the back of the car where you will have a box that houses the vacuum solenoid. The box is mounted on the exterior up under by the frame or like I did and mounted it in the RH rear cubby hole.
The 3 modes are “Loud” all the time, “User” you program opening (loud) rpm’s and close (quite) rpm’s and “Quiet” which is closed all times.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:48 PM
gnawbone
Intermediate

So, I finally took the time to actually start going through all of the nooks and crannies of the car this afternoon and buried in the glove box under the manuals, tire sales receipts, and original sticker is a single button key fob. I laughed.

Wasted a lot of time on the internet - and some of the members time on here ..... - Any way, it was the remote for the Exhaust Commander and it works perfectly.

Thanks (and sorry!) to those that offered help - I appreciate it.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Commander question/issue

Quick Reply: Exhaust Commander question/issue