C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One-to-four shift

Old 09-10-2018, 12:03 PM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default One-to-four shift

Is there a way to de-activate the one-to-four shift, so I can just shift normally from 1st to 2nd without being forced to go to 4th automatically when it reached 15 mph?
Old 09-10-2018, 01:24 PM
geezel
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes there is. It involves replacing a particular fuse in the engine bay fuse block with a "blown" fuse of the kind that lights up when blown. Threre's a post on this forum somewhere... Worked great for me.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:41 PM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Read through this page.
https://xse.com/leres/z06/cags.html

I went with a blown smart fuse like geezel. Works great.

Last edited by jaredtxrx; 09-10-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 02:28 PM
Shikaitsu
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

You can buy a 1-4 shift lockout bypass for $20 or a tuner can program it out for you.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:21 PM
dr_gallup
Melting Slicks

Received 895 Likes on 583 Posts

There are at least 3 ways to defeat the CAGS. A tuner can change when it wants to engage to some set of conditions that never happen. This has the advantage that the light on the dash never shows up but is the most expensive. Then there is the inline connector that you put in back at the transmission that adds enough resistance that the solenoid never engages. Third there are the fuses. That's what I did and it's worked exactly as it should.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:03 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,168 Posts

In line connector (resistor) back at the trans not needed, and that was only required on the C5's since there was more than just the cags solenoid circuit on the #10 fuse in the fuse box.

So all you need to do is pull the #10, 10amp fuse in the engine fuse box on the C6, and install a 2.2ohm resistor type fuse in it place.

Hence the 2.2ohm still allow the car to see the cags solenoid when it checks it on the circuit, but not to send enough power to the solenoid to allow it to active and block you out of second and third when the shift light comes on in the dash.

Or, during a tune, you just change the cags activation perimeters in the tune so the 1-4 shift cages does not active isntead.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-10-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:47 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Default 1 to 4 shift

Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !

Originally Posted by geezel
Yes there is. It involves replacing a particular fuse in the engine bay fuse block with a "blown" fuse of the kind that lights up when blown. Threre's a post on this forum somewhere... Worked great for me.
Old 09-11-2018, 03:48 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Read through this page.

I went with a blown smart fuse like geezel. Works great.
Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !
Old 09-11-2018, 03:49 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Shikaitsu
You can buy a 1-4 shift lockout bypass for $20 or a tuner can program it out for you.
Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !
Old 09-11-2018, 03:50 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dr_gallup
There are at least 3 ways to defeat the CAGS. A tuner can change when it wants to engage to some set of conditions that never happen. This has the advantage that the light on the dash never shows up but is the most expensive. Then there is the inline connector that you put in back at the transmission that adds enough resistance that the solenoid never engages. Third there are the fuses. That's what I did and it's worked exactly as it should.
Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !
Old 09-11-2018, 03:51 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Dano523
In line connector (resistor) back at the trans not needed, and that was only required on the C5's since there was more than just the cags solenoid circuit on the #10 fuse in the fuse box.

So all you need to do is pull the #10, 10amp fuse in the engine fuse box on the C6, and install a 2.2ohm resistor type fuse in it place.

Hence the 2.2ohm still allow the car to see the cags solenoid when it checks it on the circuit, but not to send enough power to the solenoid to allow it to active and block you out of second and third when the shift light comes on in the dash.

Or, during a tune, you just change the cags activation perimeters in the tune so the 1-4 shift cages does not active isntead.
Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !
Old 09-11-2018, 10:58 AM
jaredtxrx
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by reggieut
Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !
Probably, but it takes longer to walk into the auto parts store and buy the fuse then it does to replace the fuse. Just do it yourself.

To "blow" the fuse I used a pocket knife to reach between the two metal contacts and broke the connection inside the fuse.
The following users liked this post:
reggieut (09-11-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Default Cags by-pass

Originally Posted by jaredtxrx
Probably, but it takes longer to walk into the auto parts store and buy the fuse then it does to replace the fuse. Just do it yourself.

To "blow" the fuse I used a pocket knife to reach between the two metal contacts and broke the connection inside the fuse.
A Corvette place here says they can install a "CAGS By-Pass" in the area of the transmission to solve the problem.
Cost is $80, parts and labor.
Have you had any experience with this?

Old 09-14-2018, 10:18 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Default Cags by-pass

Can the dealer do this?
Thanks !
A Corvette place here says they can install a "CAGS By-Pass" in the area of the transmission to solve the problem.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:19 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Default Cags by-pass

Originally Posted by geezel

Old 09-14-2018, 10:21 AM
reggieut
Heel & Toe

Default Cags by-pass

Originally Posted by dr_gallup

Old 09-14-2018, 10:35 AM
C6_Racer_X
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 320 Posts

That doesn't sound unreasonable. The parts are $20 or less for the "kit" and $60 labor as a minimum charge isn't out of the question for a "Corvette shop." I don't know how they break it down.

A minor change to driving habits can eliminate the need for the bypass solution. The only time it seems to bother people is in "stop and go traffic." Just drive in 2nd gear in that situation and don't shift at all. That's what I've done in the C6 that I occasionally drive, and in another vehicle (Camaro) that had the same "feature" in the 6 speed manual transmission. It's actually easier to drive that way, not nearly as much monkey motion with shifting gears.

Get notified of new replies

To One-to-four shift

Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM
schpenxel
Race Director

Received 1,193 Likes on 1,052 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You don't have to post the same question 5x, we all will read it regardless.

$80 isn't crazy but it's literally a fuse.. you can do it yourself, no reason to go to a "corvette shop". There's nothing special about these cars that require it for something like this.
Old 09-14-2018, 05:58 PM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The only downside to the blown smart fuse method I experienced was that the LED seemed to eventually die and I'd have to replace the fuse with another. Not a big deal but something to note as it will throw a code when the LED dies.

I stopped replacing them after a few went out and just changed my driving habits to rarely encounter the 1-4 skip then eventually just disabled it in the tune when I got HPTuners.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:47 AM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,004 Likes on 2,168 Posts

click on the below link, and order the Red fuse that is labeled 05-13 C6 cags skip fuse for $14.
http://www.complianceparts.com/products.html

When it arrives, Open the engine hood, open the engine fuse box cover, then remove the 10 amp fuse that is circled in the below photo,

And install the 05-13 C6 cags skip fuse you ordered and received, back in the fuse location that you just pulled the 10 amp fuse.

Now close the fuse box cover, close the engine hood, and your done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: One-to-four shift