C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walker lap-joint clamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 01:01 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,801 Likes on 4,234 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Default Walker lap-joint clamps

Looking to replace the clamps on the LG longtubes/x-pipe/Corsa axle-back because I'm getting some leaks under there. I've tightened and re-tightened the supplied clamps (even snapped a bolt off one of them) and they're just not joining the pipes tight enough to avoid leaks. I've been reading up and the Walker lap-joint clamps look like a good alternative, my question is what size clamps to get? The x-pipe is catted so from the collector to the cats is 3" (so I'm assuming 3" clamps there), then the rest is 2.5" pipes so I'm assuming 2.5" clamps for the rest? It seems obvious when I'm typing it, but I just want to make sure before purchasing. Other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks very much.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-33226/overview/

Last edited by JABCAT; 09-17-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:24 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Looking to replace the clamps on the LG longtubes/x-pipe/Corsa axle-back because I'm getting some leaks under there. I've tightened and re-tightened the supplied clamps (even snapped a bolt off one of them) and they're just not joining the pipes tight enough to avoid leaks. I've been reading up and the Walker lap-joint clamps look like a good alternative, my question is what size clamps to get? The x-pipe is catted so from the collector to the cats is 3" (so I'm assuming 3" clamps there), then the rest is 2.5" pipes so I'm assuming 2.5" clamps for the rest? It seems obvious when I'm typing it, but I just want to make sure before purchasing. Other suggestions are also welcome. Thanks very much.
use an exhaust sealant with the clamps you have already. will fix your leaking issue
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-33226/overview/
use an exhaust sealant with the clamps you have already.will fix your leak issue
Old 09-18-2018, 09:57 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by irok
use an exhaust sealant with the clamps you have already.will fix your leak issue
Thanks - any particular sealant that is recommended?
Old 09-18-2018, 10:04 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Default this

Thanks - any particular sealant that is recommended?
RTV high temperature sealant.check your auto supply store.Nascar engine builders use it in place of exhaust manifold gaskets
Old 09-18-2018, 02:52 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Permatex makes some...albeit I've never had to use anything like that.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 489 Likes on 372 Posts

i normally spray k&w copper coat head gasket sealer on the inside of one pipe and the outside of the other. don't be afraid to get a lot on the 2 surfaces, then put the 2 sections together, clamp and let the copper coat cure. never had a leak using this method.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

with using hi-temp sealant on the joints.....also add a couple of washers under the head of the bolts.....that will allow you to get a few more turns on the bolts.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:02 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a bunch of walker lap joint clamps & they came with a square of black sealant on each clamp. I’m going to swap out the current clamps this weekend and see if that does the trick. Car is going to the tuner on Monday so I don’t want any issues.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:16 PM
theandrewo
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a bunch of walker lap joint clamps & they came with a square of black sealant on each clamp. I’m going to swap out the current clamps this weekend and see if that does the trick. Car is going to the tuner on Monday so I don’t want any issues.
How many 2.5" and 3" clamps did you end up getting? I'm also looking to get some clamps but not sure how many I should order and what size. (I'm trying to get all my parts together ahead of time.)
Old 09-21-2018, 11:15 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by theandrewo
How many 2.5" and 3" clamps did you end up getting? I'm also looking to get some clamps but not sure how many I should order and what size. (I'm trying to get all my parts together ahead of time.)
I ordered (6) 2.5” clamps. Looking at all the connection points, there are 10 clamps total, (2) 3” & (8) 2.5”. I figured I’d try 6 from the cats to the over-axle pipes first.

Get notified of new replies

To Walker lap-joint clamps

Quick Reply: Walker lap-joint clamps