C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical issues here as well ... Blah

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 09:44 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Electrical issues here as well ... need some help.

I have a ls2 and took it in to the tuner due to a engine knock at 4 psi boost. Tuner first thought it was methanol pump issue. Then he diagnosed 2 bad injectors . well today it started acting goofy. Tuner said electrical issue caused injectors to arc. And dead battery now with some gauges acting crazy.So, my question is what are some of the top things to look at? Battery? Fuse box needs a cleaning? Coil pack?
I just would like to find the issue before a diagnositc eats up $1000.
Anyone have a vette that a bad battery or ground cause an injector to arc?

Last edited by newbC6; 09-21-2018 at 06:04 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-21-2018, 08:24 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,007 Likes on 2,169 Posts

What injectors?

As for C6, injectors should have about 11-14 resistance and should be the same for all of them. if you are using injector's with less than this for resistance, it's part of the problem.
From here, check the voltage at each injector plug, and should have about 14. something volts.
Next, double check the injector balance via a tech II to make sure they are balanced correctly.
Also, check duty rate of the injectors, and if it maxed out, another problem as well. Hence at most, you only want the duty rate of the injector at 80% at full RPMS, since above this, the injector pulse rate is pretty much wide open to keep the injector at a full constant spray instead.

As for the injectors, they are getting there power from the power train Ignition relay 1, through fuse 12 and 16, and the negative side is controlled by the ECM to pulse them. Why I bring up the ECM, is if you have enough RF noise in the system from after market spark plugs, or spark plug wires causing such to make it way back to the ecm, could be causing the problem as well. A quick way to check to see if you have RF noise at the ecm, is to let the car idle, and take a reading off just the alternattor (back terminal under the rubber boot, and use the alternator body as the ground for the meter) and if you have less than 14.7 volts, ECM is seeing too much RF noise to glitch it, since it controls the output voltage on the alternator as well.

Also double check the spark plug wires path, and make sure it not near the alternator cable, not near any of the fuel ejector wires as well.

Last edited by Dano523; 09-21-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:42 PM
newbC6
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano523
What injectors?

As for C6, injectors should have about 11-14 resistance and should be the same for all of them. if you are using injector's with less than this for resistance, it's part of the problem.
From here, check the voltage at each injector plug, and should have about 14. something volts.
Next, double check the injector balance via a tech II to make sure they are balanced correctly.
Also, check duty rate of the injectors, and if it maxed out, another problem as well. Hence at most, you only want the duty rate of the injector at 80% at full RPMS, since above this, the injector pulse rate is pretty much wide open to keep the injector at a full constant spray instead.

As for the injectors, they are getting there power from the power train Ignition relay 1, through fuse 12 and 16, and the negative side is controlled by the ECM to pulse them. Why I bring up the ECM, is if you have enough RF noise in the system from after market spark plugs, or spark plug wires causing such to make it way back to the ecm, could be causing the problem as well. A quick way to check to see if you have RF noise at the ecm, is to let the car idle, and take a reading off just the alternattor (back terminal under the rubber boot, and use the alternator body as the ground for the meter) and if you have less than 14.7 volts, ECM is seeing too much RF noise to glitch it, since it controls the output voltage on the alternator as well.

Also double check the spark plug wires path, and make sure it not near the alternator cable, not near any of the fuel ejector wires as well.
Thanks for the info .

The injectors were from AA corvette 60 lb Bosch I believe.
I will definitely get the tuner to check on all the suggestions or go pick it up and do it myself The head scratcher for me was how an injector arcs and also a dead battery .

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical issues here as well ... Blah

Quick Reply: Electrical issues here as well ... Blah