C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans Cooler Intsall ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 03:16 PM
C6PF
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trans Cooler Intsall ?

Just picked up my first Corvette 3 days ago (2011 A6). Planning on a bolt on/cam/converter setup. It is my daily driver as of right now but I don't plan on keeping it that way. But I was wanting to do a pretty large cam, like a tick polluter stage 3 and either a yank pas 3800 or maybe SS4000. I don't deal with a lot of heavy traffic daily. Maybe 10 minutes of stop and go on the way home. But I am assuming I'll need a trans cooler for the pas3800. Is there anyone that's done a write up on a trans cooler install for these cars with detailed pictures for mounting the cooler along with all the fittings you need? But If I can get away with not needing a trans cooler, that would be greeeaaat. And before anyone tries to talk me out of the setup I listed above, I don't mind poor drivability. My last car was a f body with a th400 RMVB/4.30 gears and a 4400 stall. Anything will be better than that lol.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:37 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. Be patient for a few days to give time for folks to see your question.

Here's just a taste to get you started, see post 14:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1583472160
The following users liked this post:
C6PF (10-31-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 08:25 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

You will need a trans cooler with that converter. I got away with a 3200 for a while until I took a drive in the mountains. Then I switched to a 3600 and played around with mounting locations. I currently have used a 4000 for the last 43K miles. My '08 is a DD at 154K and I watch the trans temps religiously during the Summer. I'll probably add a second cooler next Spring to avoid the few times I felt necessary to get out of traffic to let the trans cool a bit.

You have nothing in your profile about your car or your location. When you have questions or need help, that's one place those with answers go to eliminate playing the 20 questions game about you, your location, and your car.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:50 AM
C6PF
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
You will need a trans cooler with that converter. I got away with a 3200 for a while until I took a drive in the mountains. Then I switched to a 3600 and played around with mounting locations. I currently have used a 4000 for the last 43K miles. My '08 is a DD at 154K and I watch the trans temps religiously during the Summer. I'll probably add a second cooler next Spring to avoid the few times I felt necessary to get out of traffic to let the trans cool a bit.

You have nothing in your profile about your car or your location. When you have questions or need help, that's one place those with answers go to eliminate playing the 20 questions game about you, your location, and your car.

I don't plan on putting any personal info and don't plan on putting anything about the car until there's actually something to list. Like I said, the car is a bone stock ls3/a6 car right now but I have plans for it in the near future. I'm located in the STL region, so the Midwest. Do you have any pictures of the cooler mounted?
Old 10-31-2018, 12:13 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

HOXXOH - I may be able to help you with the trans cooler install, I hope to be retired by then...

Mike
Old 10-31-2018, 12:18 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C6PF
I don't plan on putting any personal info and don't plan on putting anything about the car until there's actually something to list. Like I said, the car is a bone stock ls3/a6 car right now but I have plans for it in the near future. I'm located in the STL region, so the Midwest. Do you have any pictures of the cooler mounted?
There are pictures in posts on the forum already, including location of the cooler and what they went through to get additional cooling. Some have removed the fog lights and installed screen with the trans cooler behind it, though that is a low pressure area and others resorted to fans. another possible location is in the rear fenders with louvers. There are pictures for all these locations on the forum. Check out the Autocross/Road Racing section in addition to the Tech section.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:27 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Part of the reason for profile info, which you can change at anytime, is so other members who may live nearby or who have knowledge of places in your area can offer help or recommendations of places or people for assistance. Location doesn't mean street addresses, but just nearest city and or State. You just now mentioned the car is a bone stock car and unless you put that info, the year, the model, the trans, and your location in every post or your profile, people who respond to your postings will ask those questions. You can do whatever you want, but you limit yourself with the lack of public information that some members don't want to bother asking those questions and waiting for a response.

No pics as of right now of my current cooler size and mount location. The previous one was larger, but the roughly same location (front bottom center of radiator) killed my AC condenser when I kissed a taller than average parking curb. I'll be adding a second one and incorporating a manual bypass valve to ensure the trans temps will be high enough for WOT operation during the Winter racing season.
Depending on your primary and secondary intended use after your mods, will determine the size and type of your cooler(s) and/or the routing needed.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:31 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by mikeCsix
HOXXOH - I may be able to help you with the trans cooler install, I hope to be retired by then...

Mike
Thanks Mike. So when is the big date (retirement) and the final move?
Old 11-03-2018, 11:22 PM
Tuna Goat
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I daily drive a PAS3800 .. little loose but I have a zo6 diff sitting in the garage so it should tighten up... Cam only at 450rwhp it went 10.7 @ 126 on a 1.37 60' .. You 100% will need a cooler. Went a few days with just the factory cooler and it just wasnt cutting it
Old 11-04-2018, 12:40 AM
Curt D
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

i had my cam,stall and cooler done at STG Motorsports in Granite City, just a burnout from STL. I live in the Chicago burbs the AC is fine up here.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:50 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Looking like Jan - Feb time frame right now. It’s getting harder to stay enthusiastic about work the closer I get. I’m in Maui right now...didn’t tell the boss I was going.

Should be doing the final move in March if all goes well and Mr. Murphy will cut us a break.

Last edited by mikeCsix; 11-07-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:59 PM
da6speed
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts

I used the B&M 70266 for mine and custom AN lines. Mounted bottom lip of cooler to lower bar on radiator cradle and have fittings at the top with push ties holding it against condensor with the pads in between.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:26 PM
C6PF
Intermediate

Thanks for all of the replies! This has helped a lot.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:27 PM
C6PF
Intermediate

Yeah, I know Greg really well including the boys next door at VRE. He does great work. Shane will be tuning the car as well. That looks great and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!!

Get notified of new replies

To Trans Cooler Intsall ?

Quick Reply: Trans Cooler Intsall ?