C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X pipe

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:54 PM
twynia
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default X pipe

getting an exhaust system for my 07 base (z51). Gotta keep ca compliant. Thinking corsa sport or extreme cat back with x pipe. Is that ca compliant? What do I gain with x pipe? Do I need a tune after install? Also have had corsa sport before, loved the sound but just a lil too quite and corsa extreme might be to loud, any suggestions, keeping in mind I hate drone?
thanks in advance

Last edited by twynia; 12-09-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Richi
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If you do not install headers then you can run without a tune.
You will have 5hp gain no more with only a catback
For the drone I have not tested any Corsa so I will not help you for this part
Old 12-10-2018, 07:54 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 443 Likes on 381 Posts

I can't say for sure if x-pipe is CA legal.
But the smog shop may not check this.
Muffler change would be CA legal.

Gains from an x-pipe?
Maybe 2 horsepower...if at all, you won't feel it.

But, IMO x-pipe changes the exhaust tone, in a positive tone, to me anyway.
I'd say x-pipe does not add drone.

That's m two cents.
Good luck with your project.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM
twynia
Advanced

thanks, thinking corsa sport with X pipe
Old 12-10-2018, 01:55 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

If you are looking for something inexpensive that adds horse power, sounds great and complies here in California, you might consider this. In my garage, I had changed the exhaust manifolds, catted pipe and mid pipe to 3" ZO6 components. As a used set. these are available for around $300 to $400 and the hp results are almost as good as going illegal with some aftermarket headers. I stayed with the Z's H pipe but maybe an X pipe would be good too. The only thing I didn't change were the base HPP mufflers. This all passed smog here three times. Plus the three dynos I did on this surprised the dyno owners --417 to 424 rear wheel numbers. Everyone is always asking how the exhaust got sounding so good.
The following users liked this post:
twynia (12-10-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 12:47 AM
jwilhelm13
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dirk Miller
If you are looking for something inexpensive that adds horse power, sounds great and complies here in California, you might consider this. In my garage, I had changed the exhaust manifolds, catted pipe and mid pipe to 3" ZO6 components. As a used set. these are available for around $300 to $400 and the hp results are almost as good as going illegal with some aftermarket headers. I stayed with the Z's H pipe but maybe an X pipe would be good too. The only thing I didn't change were the base HPP mufflers. This all passed smog here three times. Plus the three dynos I did on this surprised the dyno owners --417 to 424 rear wheel numbers. Everyone is always asking how the exhaust got sounding so good.
I'm seriously considering do exactly what you mentioned other than leaving my Corsa Sport intact on my LS2, but I was wondering how big a change I could expect from a sound perspective. I must say the sound on my stock motor with Corsa Sport is too mild for my tastes, and was hoping I could enjoy that sound more with the Z06 exhaust setup.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:18 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

well it sure is louder and much more brutal than my OEM set up., yet there is no drone on the freeway. Prior to my change, I could run my stock base car at Laguna Seca when the sound limit was 92 dB's. Shortly after that I changed my car over the ZO6 set up and was kicked off the track. Fortunately I had my 4 downturns with me and was able to point everything away from the sound booth. My best friend owns this car now and also loves the sound.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The X can smooth out the note, sure wont make it louder. If thats what you want run no crossover it will have more of a hotrod sound. Not worth worrying about power with any of them.
twynia (12-13-2018)
Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 732 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by twynia
getting an exhaust system for my 07 base (z51). Gotta keep ca compliant. Thinking corsa sport or extreme cat back with x pipe. Is that ca compliant? What do I gain with x pipe? Do I need a tune after install? Also have had corsa sport before, loved the sound but just a lil too quite and corsa extreme might be to loud, any suggestions, keeping in mind I hate drone?
thanks in advance
The "X" pipe is legal in CA. It came on the base 2008 and up C6 corvettes, C6 ZR1's and 2011+ C6 Z06's. HP maybe 2-3, but it will change the sound a bit. From my experience, the "X" pipe had a more raspy sound, where as the "H" pipe sounds a bit deeper. It's just a matter of personal choice, not really a performance upgrade. They both balance out the exhaust pressure, but the "X" pipe does a little better job.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 12-14-2018 at 12:55 PM.
twynia (12-14-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 11:03 PM
06vetteblack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 06 z51 with SLP Loudmouth 2's installed. I had a friend cut off stock mufflers and weld the loudmouths in their place. Car sounds much meaner with no drone, hard to say if any extra power gained but it does sound sweet when gearing her down....spent about $200.

Get notified of new replies

To X pipe

Quick Reply: X pipe