C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Window Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 AM
Kelly3s
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver Window Issue - Manually Raise Window?

UPDATE: So since the I found the frayed cable and need a whole assembly, can anyone tell me how to raise the window manually?

I have searched 100s of threads about windows not going up but can't find one described like mine. Hopefully someone has some insight.

The driver window will not go all the way. I understand the indexing issue after installing a new battery (which we did) and it was going up all the way. But shortly after, it started making a small strange noise (like what it sounds like when a leaf gets stuck) when going down and hesitated going up.

What I have now is it will go down but not up all the way. When the door is open it indexes down and back up when closed even though the window is not all the way.

To get the window up, I had to open the door, let it index down, close the door, and AS the window was indexing up I would have to hold the button up while it was indexing and then it would go up 2-3 inches. I had to repeat this process of opening and closing to get the window back up. In other words, down ¼ up 2 inches, index back down ¼, up another 2 inches. But once it gets to about 1 inch from top, this trick stops working. It just refuses to finish going up.

I have tried indexing it multiple times. I tried indexing it in the down position. I tried disconnecting the battery twice for as much as an hour. All things I read on other threads.

It is almost like it just can't figure out where the up stop point should be. When it gets to as far as I can get it, the motor doesn't sound any different than the passenger side that is working properly. Just a slight click when I pull up on the button.

The regulator/motor combo is a fortune for the C6 so want to try any other fix first. I hope someone knows this problem.

It is a 2005

Last edited by Kelly3s; 01-09-2019 at 04:16 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:42 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 445 Likes on 333 Posts

May be a problem with the linkage in the door. Best to remove the interior door cover & check for correct alignment & operation.
Old 01-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Kelly3s
Cruising

I got the panel off. I can not see or hear where this strange crackling sound is coming from. It sounds like a piece of paper, plastic, leaf kind of sound. Not really a grinding noise.

Does anyone have any idea if the motor could sound like that? Nothing looks like it is binding. It won't go all the way or all the way down. It is slow at times to come up.

Also, does anyone know how to unplug the control module? I read in another thread that someone had theirs reseated and it fixed the up/down issue.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:11 PM
Kelly3s
Cruising

Ok, I found the source of sound and window issue. The silver cabling is fraying. Bad. Can I replace that without replacing the whole regulator assembly?
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I just replaced that assembly. Looks like it is a single unit. Not bad to replace. 7 bolts total. Got one from Amazon for $270
Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Kelly3s
Cruising

Yeah, I did some calling around and found out I have to buy the whole thing. Ugh

Now, does anyone have the best suggestion for manually getting the window up until I can replace the assembly so I can drive it?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

I took the panel off and could not see a way to raise it, other than unbolting the window of course. That's why I went Amazon. Here in two days. 30 minutes later it was all good.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:10 AM
Buddy A
Melting Slicks

PS. I have the old one out if you would like a pic.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...assembly,15596

Get notified of new replies

To Driver Window Issue

Quick Reply: Driver Window Issue