C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 PM
Tony @ Mamo Motorsports
Supporting Vendor

Received 905 Likes on 370 Posts

I keep reading about that there is "No need for aftermarket castings"......one could argue there was no need for a C6Z06 (certainly the standard C6 had enough power) or no need for the new ZR1 (the C7Z06 had plenty pf power).

You see where Im going here.....Its not about "NEED" in this hobby its about "WANT" and some folks wanting to optimize their combinations more so than others potentially but in this forum (the C6Z and the ZR1 crowd) I would say that would be more the norm.

An aftermarket clean sheet design casting trounces an OEM ported casting in every way....more total airflow and a bunch more airspeed being the 1-2 punch that packs the cylinders with additional air and fuel and improves performance (and MPG's) a great deal in so many different ways

My MMS 265 with a port 5 cc's smaller than an unported OEM head outflows it by 40 CFM.....that represents a huge increase in efficiency and as such makes more torque.....more power....better throttle response and is less sensitive to the negative trade offs associated with performance camshafts (due to the increased overlap). With performance cams, especially larger performance cams, reversion is the enemy there and the higher airspeed in my much more efficient clean sheet head design reduces the amount of reversion due to the fact its much more difficult to reverse the direction of a larger higher speed column of air versus a smaller charge of air moving much slower in a less efficient port design. This is physics and cant be argued.

This thread really highlights the difference between a really good OEM ported head (one I did personally that flowed 405 CFM) versus my MMS265 aftermarket design. Even with a small cam in the mix that didnt take full advantage of the added benefits of the more efficient cylinder head the gains are very signifcant. A larger cam would have had shown an even greater gain from the swap to my newer heads.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...amo-build.html

Its a good read for those with an open mind that are really trying to decide if spending a little more going with aftermarket castings is worth it....when you consider all the money and time spent on these types of larger head and cam projects (factoring in install and tune etc.), spending a little more goes a long way here. It can and will have a large impact on the results of the project for a small fractional increase in the total costs. If your lucky enough to have OEM LS7 heads to sell (offsetting the purchase price of the clean sheet aftermarket heads) it becomes even more of a no brainer.

Baja....I responded to your PM earlier.....hit me back whenever you have some time

-Tony

Please take the time to also visit my website at www.MamoMotorsports.com

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 01-16-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:02 AM
double06
Melting Slicks

Received 374 Likes on 299 Posts

Tony one question on the aftermarket heads are the combustion chambers any different than stock - still keep it to around 70 cc but maybe shape it a little differently since they have a little more deck thickness to work with. The change in chamber design to either add more flow or being able to run more timing without detonation.

Last edited by double06; 01-21-2019 at 09:08 AM. Reason: add stuff

Quick Reply: Help with a LS7 N/A setup. please step in if you have one