C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 corvette won't start

Old 01-16-2019, 12:59 PM
dustymust
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 corvette won't start

Hey guys, running into a bit of an issue with my car being temperamental if it wants to start or not. I know these cars are known for having battery issues however i don't think my battery is old as if it starts up i got a solid 14+ volts. The problem is that the car simply won't start sometimes, the dash will just say "push brake to start engine" even tho i'm definitely pushing the brake. Brake lights don't turn on or anything. I took the car in for the issue like 6 months ago and they said it may just be the transmission link? if i remember correctly, they replaced it since it was "almost snapped". The problem went away for the most part but now it's happening again. Sometimes it'll start perfectly as it has for the past 3 days, then won't start again today. Sometimes if i simply wait a while it'll start but i can't have this happening as i'm in college and it's making me miss class. Any ideas? i have a picture of the battery where it may be corroded do y'all think it's enough to be causing these issues? I personally don't think its my battery ive tried a jumper cable on it and it still won't start. Somethings just up with the brake sensor? Thanks for the help guys!

Old 01-17-2019, 12:08 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 650 Likes on 469 Posts

Is the check engine light on?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 AM
dustymust
4th Gear

no, i'm not getting any lights. just 'push brake to start engine', no taillights either. i just started it about 2 hours ago ran perfectly fine, but its inconsistent and thats no bueno.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:18 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dustymust
no, i'm not getting any lights. just 'push brake to start engine', no taillights either. i just started it about 2 hours ago ran perfectly fine, but its inconsistent and thats no bueno.
It sounds like you need to recalibrate (and possibly replace) the brake pedal position sensor (BPPS). Do you have access to a Tech 2?

Last edited by torquetube; 01-17-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:50 AM
dustymust
4th Gear

thats a negative on the tech 2, so in terms of trying to get it handled, you think its best to take it to a dealership and get that looked at prior to the battery?
Old 01-17-2019, 11:04 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

thats a negative on the tech 2, so in terms of trying to get it handled, you think its best to take it to a dealership and get that looked at prior to the battery?
You can have the battery load tested for free at many auto parts stores, though your particular symptoms suggest there might be something else wrong. What part of the country are you in?
Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM
dustymust
4th Gear

I’m in central Texas, Waco
Old 01-17-2019, 12:11 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

I’m in central Texas, Waco
You might also try the Southwest regional forum.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southwest-44/
Old 01-17-2019, 03:56 PM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

mine was doing same thing 1 1/2 years ago.could be crank relay wire terminal and connector on starter end of crank wire from under hood fuse box.the female terminal on mine had lost tension and not making proper contact on starter solenoid after all these years.bought and installed new terminal connector from GM for about $10. and car has been perfect ever since.if this is your issue and as long as engine is running it will not stop on its own
Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 PM
Vettes Rule
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you saying your brake lights were not working and this fixed this as well

Get notified of new replies

To C6 corvette won't start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 corvette won't start