C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise comming from the back, possibly a bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 AM
Nytehawk
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm sure this is a redundant question at this point, but what good is this warranty if you have to pay for expensive repair labor left and right?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:49 AM
hmmmm16417
Drifting

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

maybe a stupid question, but is it possible the differential fluid need changed? it's a common problem to have the "grinding" noise at low speed which is instantly cured with new OEM fluid in the rear end. not sure it will help YOUR issue, but for the $80-90 and 15 minutes it takes, why not try?

on a side note, I NEVER trust the "extended warranty" BS that the dealers try to sell. they only do it for commission, not to protect you. they typically have so many stipulations and deductibles / co-pays that they aren't worth it anyway.

there were a couple dealers local to me several years ago that were selling warranties and giving people their paperwork showing they had the warranty but never actually following through with the purchase for the customer.... just taking their money. so when the customer tried getting a repair done, they got the runaround until they realized there was NO warranty.

sad.

GOOD LUCK !
Old 05-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Dutch08
Drifting

Received 387 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by hmmmm16417
maybe a stupid question, but is it possible the differential fluid need changed? it's a common problem to have the "grinding" noise at low speed which is instantly cured with new OEM fluid in the rear end. not sure it will help YOUR issue, but for the $80-90 and 15 minutes it takes, why not try?

I vote this.

... My story ... I changed out all the fluids in my 'vette (with a new clutch) and put Mobil 1 75w-90 in the rear. Took the car out for a drive, I thought I broke something or installed it incorrectly. The grinding noise on turns was horrendous even after the figure 8's. Long story short, changed to AC Delco in the rear - done, perfect!!!!

$30 worth of fluid, 2 way hand pump from auto section at Home Depot, Remove the drain plug, drain, close, Remove the fill plug, fill, done. Its that easy.

$30 DYI, or $90 if you have it done (BE SURE to use AC DELCO) you have nothing to loose except a few bucks.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:50 PM
mn_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

Quick update, I checked my tire pressures and found them to be around 37 psi. I adjusted them down and it changed the noise. The noise now goes away depending on the road surface. So now I'm thinking it really is just a tire noise. I'm planning on changing the diff fluid anyways since it is getting close to that mileage. I'll keep listening to it and see how things go.

Quick Reply: Noise comming from the back, possibly a bearing?