C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mild to Wild / NPP In A Box

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Question about NPP in a Box. What version of the product are being sold currently? I ask because I saw one system which seemed to have a smaller sized box and I wondered if there maybe issues with one version over the other.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:45 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Question about NPP in a Box. What version of the product are being sold currently? I ask because I saw one system which seemed to have a smaller sized box and I wondered if there maybe issues with one version over the other.
If you car originally came with NPP or Z06 mufflers and is controlled by the car RPM and you want to take manual control you need this kit....
https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...tch-p-231.html

If your car never came with NPP or Z06 mufflers and you retrofitting them, you need the kit L98Iroc-S referenced above.
https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...st-p-2724.html
The following users liked this post:
gpruitt54 (06-09-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:42 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

I finally got my hands on the NPPs I was hoping to buy. These were taking up space in a club member's garage, and I got them for a song. These are from a 2011 Grand Sport. Polished the tips a bit, and the chrome looks pretty good. Will run them in the open position for now. I'll go ahead and order the NPP in a Box with the EZ Tap feature.

Old 06-11-2019, 11:22 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
If your car never came with NPP or Z06 mufflers and you retrofitting them, you need the kit L98Iroc-S referenced above.
https://www.southerncarparts.com/cor...st-p-2724.html
and be advised if/when ordering it from that vendor...they do not have those in stock and you won't get an email stating so after your order. you will get around to requesting a status because you haven't received a shipping confirmation, at which time they will respond that they are still making it and will ship out next week. appears they build to order, so they probably have to wait on the parts from amazon just like you would have to do if you built your own kit.

the chrome looks pretty good
That is not chrome.
Old 06-11-2019, 11:29 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimijam
and be advised if/when ordering it from that vendor...they do not have those in stock and you won't get an email stating so after your order. you will get around to requesting a status because you haven't received a shipping confirmation, at which time they will respond that they are still making it and will ship out next week. appears they build to order, so they probably have to wait on the parts from amazon just like you would have to do if you built your own kit.

That is not chrome.
Then it is stainless? OK Cool. I was trying to get rid of the scuff marks.
SPSandman (06-28-2022)
Old 06-12-2019, 11:11 AM
L98IROCZ89
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by jimijam
Not disagreeing with anyone's experience but wanted to share that I ordered my NPP In A Box from Southern Car Parts on Thursday 6/6 and recieved on Monday 6/10.

Apparently, they do keep the parts on the shelves as individual parts and assemble the kits after they are ordered based on the options you choose, i.e. with vacuum lines for a car that wasnt originally NPP vs without vacuum lines for a car that was originally NPP, LS2 vs LS3 and with E-Z Tap vs without E-Z Tap. This came up when I called to change my shipping address.

~John
Old 06-12-2019, 12:02 PM
old motorhead
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 947 Posts

I have an EZ tap if anyone needs one. Never used. I ordered my NPP in a box from Southern Car Parts on April 22nd. It just showed up Monday of this week.
jimijam (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 07:05 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L98IROCZ89
Not disagreeing with anyone's experience but wanted to share that I ordered my NPP In A Box from Southern Car Parts on Thursday 6/6 and recieved on Monday 6/10.

Apparently, they do keep the parts on the shelves as individual parts and assemble the kits after they are ordered based on the options you choose, i.e. with vacuum lines for a car that wasnt originally NPP vs without vacuum lines for a car that was originally NPP, LS2 vs LS3 and with E-Z Tap vs without E-Z Tap. This came up when I called to change my shipping address.

~John
I currently have an NPP in a Box w/ EZ Tap, setting in my cart on the Southern Car Parts website. Was planning to pull the trigger today after first call them to confirm that the item was in stock. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:51 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

It has been at least a year from the time I stated this first step in the project. But, I finally bought a muffler set and installed the NPPs on the car through a local muffler shop. Now, I will order and install the NPP in a Box kit to complete step 2. Could not be happier with the sound of the valves when open all the time. However, they do drone on the expressway. Closing the valves using the NPP in a Box will solve the expressway driving drone.

Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 PM
jimijam
Melting Slicks

Received 936 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by L98IROCZ89
You probably got the one they allegedly started a day before I cancelled by order, which was right before Memorial Day.

Last edited by jimijam; 06-12-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:50 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Now that the NPP exhaust is installed on my 2006 C6, I will be ordering the NPP in a Box right away. I intend to buy and use the EZ Tap option. I don't intent to run the vacuum hoses down the tunnel under the car. I don't want to run rubber vacuum hoses in such proximity to hot exhausts and cats. I recall reading where some one ran the hoses along the passenger side of the car maybe along the frame. I am looking for the article, but have not located it.

Has anyone here completed the installation by running the vacuum lines in this way?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:55 AM
CDaniel525
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that the NPP exhaust is installed on my 2006 C6, I will be ordering the NPP in a Box right away. I intend to buy and use the EZ Tap option. I don't intent to run the vacuum hoses down the tunnel under the car. I don't want to run rubber vacuum hoses in such proximity to hot exhausts and cats. I recall reading where some one ran the hoses along the passenger side of the car maybe along the frame. I am looking for the article, but have not located it.

Has anyone here completed the installation by running the vacuum lines in this way?
I had mine installed on '08 with headers, catless xpipe, and ZO6 mufflers with the hose through the tunnel for about 4 or 5 years and never had an issue...

gpruitt.... in the pic above, what is above your black rear valance between the red paint? It almost looks like small LED bulbs every few inches? Or is it just some sort of reflection
Old 06-13-2019, 10:13 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CDaniel525
I had mine installed on '08 with headers, catless xpipe, and ZO6 mufflers with the hose through the tunnel for about 4 or 5 years and never had an issue...

gpruitt.... in the pic above, what is above your black rear valance between the red paint? It almost looks like small LED bulbs every few inches? Or is it just some sort of reflection
Unless, I cannot find another route for the lines, I need to run the vacuum lines in a location other than the tunnel. This project has been months in the making, with delays for various reasons. Months ago, I read where someone ran the lines inside the car and along the passenger side. I should have saved the location of that article.

On the rear valance are a row of LEDs. They turn on with my side cove LEDs.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:38 AM
realcanuk
Le Mans Master

Received 394 Likes on 359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

You can run lines in the rocker panel.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by realcanuk
You can run lines in the rocker panel.
I kind of figured that might an option. Here is the big question.

Where to you drill the hole to get the vacuum line in side the card from the engine compartment?

Last edited by gpruitt54; 06-13-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:21 AM
car-guy28
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old post but for those reading and considering NPP in a box, it really is a great option and works nicely. I installed ‘08 NPP mufflers on my ‘05 C6 and installed the NPP in a box. The directions can be confusing and may not be well written but following their install is the best way to go. Yes the EZ tap makes it much easier to access vacuum so order it with the kit. Southern Car Parts (best price) will include it at no additional cost. And yes their shipping can take a few days or a few weeks with little to no communication unless you call them and push. Don’t be fooled that they stock them or make them, they are an internet middle man. NPP in a box is made by Nakidparts in Salem Ohio and you will see that is where yours is shipped from when you receive it. If you order it direct it probably will ship much faster but they charge a few dollars extra for the EZ Tap. It may be easier to resolve a problem also if purchased direct from the manufacturer. Take your time to do the installation, this is no 30 minute job. I used about 10 wire ties (snug but don’t pinch the line) to insure the vacuum line doesn’t contact any exhaust parts. Snaking the line through the tunnel is easy even with the exhaust system installed. Start at the engine, install the ez tap and route the vacuum line down and to the rear muffles through the tunnel. Use a coat hanger or electricians snake inserted from the rear of the tunnel to the front bell housing. Tape the vacuum line to it and pull it back out while feeding the line from the front. Route it over the axel with wire ties. Drill the holes in the rear storage box from inside the box out. Use a small drill it first so you see where the hole will be on the outside. Start at the inside left front corner of the storage box (when standing at rear of car) for the first hole. Measure your holes sizes first before drilling, the instructions sizes are inaccurate. Apply velcro feet strips to the back and bottom of the NPP box, that will grab the carpet liner and prevent sliding. Follow the rest of the instructions to complete the install as they are accurate. I’m a perfectionist so this took me about 3 hours to do it right. I have Homelink buttons on my visor and the remote easily programmed to 2 of the buttons for the off & on functions so I don’t need the remotes to activate the NPP in a box. Works great, love it. Great aggressive tone and then quiet when you want.
The following 2 users liked this post by car-guy28:
gpruitt54 (03-08-2020), SPSandman (06-28-2022)
Old 03-08-2020, 02:05 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by car-guy28
Old post but for those reading and considering NPP in a box, it really is a great option and works nicely. I installed ‘08 NPP mufflers on my ‘05 C6 and installed the NPP in a box. The directions can be confusing and may not be well written but following their install is the best way to go. Yes the EZ tap makes it much easier to access vacuum so order it with the kit. Southern Car Parts (best price) will include it at no additional cost. And yes their shipping can take a few days or a few weeks with little to no communication unless you call them and push. Don’t be fooled that they stock them or make them, they are an internet middle man. NPP in a box is made by Nakidparts in Salem Ohio and you will see that is where yours is shipped from when you receive it. If you order it direct it probably will ship much faster but they charge a few dollars extra for the EZ Tap. It may be easier to resolve a problem also if purchased direct from the manufacturer. Take your time to do the installation, this is no 30 minute job. I used about 10 wire ties (snug but don’t pinch the line) to insure the vacuum line doesn’t contact any exhaust parts. Snaking the line through the tunnel is easy even with the exhaust system installed. Start at the engine, install the ez tap and route the vacuum line down and to the rear muffles through the tunnel. Use a coat hanger or electricians snake inserted from the rear of the tunnel to the front bell housing. Tape the vacuum line to it and pull it back out while feeding the line from the front. Route it over the axel with wire ties. Drill the holes in the rear storage box from inside the box out. Use a small drill it first so you see where the hole will be on the outside. Start at the inside left front corner of the storage box (when standing at rear of car) for the first hole. Measure your holes sizes first before drilling, the instructions sizes are inaccurate. Apply velcro feet strips to the back and bottom of the NPP box, that will grab the carpet liner and prevent sliding. Follow the rest of the instructions to complete the install as they are accurate. I’m a perfectionist so this took me about 3 hours to do it right. I have Homelink buttons on my visor and the remote easily programmed to 2 of the buttons for the off & on functions so I don’t need the remotes to activate the NPP in a box. Works great, love it. Great aggressive tone and then quiet when you want.
Great points all. The time-consuming part of this mod was getting my hands on an NPP exhaust from another Vette. I got lucky with I discovered a member of my car club (Chicago Crossroads Corvette Club) had a set leftover after an aftermarket replacement on a 2008 Grand Sport. Yes, by all means the Easy Tap is a must. I used the vacuum line located under the fuel rail on the left side of the engine. I did not like the idea of snapping off the vacuum line nub behind the intake manifold. You cannot even see the thing, let alone trying to freak off a specific item by touch alone. In order to get the vacuum line back to the control box, I choose to run the vacuum line along the left side frame rail. After that, I followed the supplied directions. This is so far, one of the best upgrades I've made to the car. I like the car loud. However, my wife lines it quiet. I call it Wife-mode.

The following 2 users liked this post by gpruitt54:
car-guy28 (03-08-2020), SPSandman (06-28-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Mild to Wild / NPP In A Box

Old 03-08-2020, 08:05 PM
car-guy28
Cruising

Totally agree it’s the best mod. I researched for months trying to find the NPP mufflers and got lucky to find a 08 C6 from Florida with 22k miles that hit a tree head on and totaled the front of the car. Salvage yard sold me it’s NPP mufflers (like new) for $600. I used the EZ tap at the intake manifold MAP sensor location (front of fuel rail) and used the orange MAP sensor seal on the brass elbow to insert into the manifold, worked perfectly. I researched many different aftermarket axle back systems and none compare to the quality, tone and ease of use of this system when you want the option of both mild or wild.
gpruitt54 (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 11:25 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by car-guy28
Totally agree it’s the best mod. I researched for months trying to find the NPP mufflers and got lucky to find a 08 C6 from Florida with 22k miles that hit a tree head on and totaled the front of the car. Salvage yard sold me it’s NPP mufflers (like new) for $600. I used the EZ tap at the intake manifold MAP sensor location (front of fuel rail) and used the orange MAP sensor seal on the brass elbow to insert into the manifold, worked perfectly. I researched many different aftermarket axle back systems and none compare to the quality, tone and ease of use of this system when you want the option of both mild or wild.
Yes, I also used the MAP sensor to tap the vacuum line. Yep, works perfectly and easy to access if the need arises. Where did you run the vacuum line back to the control box?
Old 03-09-2020, 08:19 AM
car-guy28
Cruising

I ran it under the fuel rail, down along the passenger side firewall a/c lines, through the torque shaft tunnel, over the passenger side of the rear axle tied to the electrical cables there, and into the rear passenger side storage compartment. I have a power top convertible so running the electrical wire to fuse box (as outlined in the instructions) was a little tricky and time consuming finding the right path, but it worked out just fine and doesn’t interfere with any of the power roof mechanisms. I was skeptical about the instructions ground wire connection at the fuse box but I tested that screw and confirmed that it is a good ground.
gpruitt54 (03-09-2020)

Quick Reply: Mild to Wild / NPP In A Box